Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 gauge problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:00 PM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
All of them in the same time though?
Are the cluster lights still working, as well as the tail lights?
They used to share the same fuse but I wouldn't be positive on the S197...
you dont have to change them all at the same time, each gauge has a separate motor, its just recommended so you don't have to worry about others going out over time.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:58 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Mine all work but the cluster always sounds like someone chewing on a pack of crackers! it's ridiculous how much noise that thing makes. Maybe I need louder exhaust...

Tim
Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Sho_No_Go

Originally Posted by 05racer
Hey guys new here and I have a problem. I have an 05 with the color changing dash. Well the tach and speedo decided to stop working and now the rest of the gauges are following with them. Dealer says they need to replace the entire dash cluster which I am not ready to believe. Any of you run into this and figure out wha the problem was? Thanks
I had this same problem too on a 2006 Mustang. The gauges were working fine and then they just decided to stop working. It was an easy fix though. All I had to do was unhook the factory I-pod adapter and everything has been fine since. No need to replace anything or pay a dealership $700 to rip me off.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

im parked in this pic... u prob never saw my post of when mine screwed up. and yes you have to replace the whole cluster. my tach was broken for a full year prior to the spedometer breaking, they went out in fall. and mines an 05 to. i took it to the ford dealer and dont just have them fix it, say "hey, my mustangs to young, it has to few miles on it, it shouldnt be doing this, can ford meet me with the price?" and ford ended up spliting it 50/50 with me!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 AM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sho_No_Go
I had this same problem too on a 2006 Mustang. The gauges were working fine and then they just decided to stop working. It was an easy fix though. All I had to do was unhook the factory I-pod adapter and everything has been fine since. No need to replace anything or pay a dealership $700 to rip me off.
you got lucky....

Originally Posted by Red Beast

im parked in this pic... u prob never saw my post of when mine screwed up. and yes you have to replace the whole cluster. my tach was broken for a full year prior to the spedometer breaking, they went out in fall. and mines an 05 to. i took it to the ford dealer and dont just have them fix it, say "hey, my mustangs to young, it has to few miles on it, it shouldnt be doing this, can ford meet me with the price?" and ford ended up spliting it 50/50 with me!

no. you don't have to replace the whole cluster.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM
mattsimonton
2nd Gear Member

Well this is good to know that I am not the only one. My speedometer says I am doing 140 in a 15... haha. I guess Ill look into getting the stepper motors from ford in a few days. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattsimonton
Well this is good to know that I am not the only one. My speedometer says I am doing 140 in a 15... haha. I guess Ill look into getting the stepper motors from ford in a few days. Thanks for the info!
u can get a ticket for it to. thats why i delt with the broken tachometer for over a year, but the day my spedometer went out i went to ford. unfortunatley when they replaced it, since i was splitting it 50/50 they wouldnt upgrade me to the GT cluster. i said id pay the difference but they said they couldnt do that, it has to be the same one.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Forza_Roma

Thanks for the info!
I have already ordered 4 stepper motors, but I guess it will take some time, before it'll arrive to Europe.

3 of my gauges are showing completely wrong values... fuel gauge is actually showing that fuel tank is more than completely empty.
Only water temperature gauge is correct, because the car is standing:

Last edited by Forza_Roma; 02-05-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:46 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by str8wick3d
bout to help you guys out, Whats wrong is the stepper motors for the needles are broken. U can order new ones, or pick some up from ford and solder them onto your board. No leds need to be changed.. Their is also a guy on e-bay that u can send your cluster to and they will repair it and send it back for $140. the motors are like 7 bucks a piece. I had my tach and fuel gauge stop working. Very common in 05 cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-FO...Q5fAccessories
+1

ebay is the source for new steppers....
Old 02-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
Originally Posted by Forza_Roma

Seems your cars are just wishing to go faster. Maybe it's time to upgrade?

Quick Reply: 05 gauge problems?