Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:41 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
If you want to spend the BIG bucks for the OE HIDs, knock yourself out. I have the RetroSolutions BiXenon, 35W HIDs and have never been flashed. My '06 has the black shield over the end of the bulbs. I don't see any problem whatsoever. If you don't have the factory shield, RetroSolutions offers an optional coating over the end of the HID tube that does the same thing. The offending light comes straight out of the END of the arc tube.
If I pull my car up to a white garage door at night, you can see it has a rather distinct cutoff, just like the OE bulbs did. I never even had to touch the headlight adjustment either. I have read that some owners adjust them down a bit.
If you go to RetroSolutions web site, they have a bunch of pictures showing the light pattern at night. Don't base your decesion on a post from somebody that read something somewhere about HID kits - check it out for yourself. If I thought I was blinding oncoming drivers, I would take my HIDs out at once, but I don't think that is so. There are an awful lot of very happy owners running HID kits. I would just recommend going with a good company like RetroSolutions rather than one of the cheap EBAY sellers. I just know I'd never go back to regular bulbs. Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.
++1

As long as you have the bulb shield, you'll be fine...I've had mine for oer a year now and couldn't be happier. No problems with other drivers flashing or anything.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:03 PM
darkfox2002
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Ford added the HID specific headlight
housings/reflector assemblies.
They properly disperse the light.
'Added HIDs' on the window sticker does not mean
aftermarket bulbs in standard non-HID OEM
housings/reflector assemblies.

But there is always a first.
Was the HIDs added written in with a pen
or printed like at the factory.....
It was printed on the right side as a 500 some dollar option.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

We've had people disappointed with the factory HID option actually sell them off for the halogen headlamps with our H13 kit added to them. For what its worth.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 PM
kxl77
1st Gear Member

Hmm, so if I have the black dot (shield), does that mean that my headlamps are HID compatible? (Compatible in the sense that I'll have USABLE light that's not scattered/lost/blinding)
Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kxl77
Hmm, so if I have the black dot (shield), does that mean that my headlamps are HID compatible? (Compatible in the sense that I'll have USABLE light that's not scattered/lost/blinding)

Yup - should work fine.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
I have the 55W Bi-xenon HIDS in the stock factory housing and also have the "shield" that comes with the factory housing for the headlights. The light doesn't scatter any differently then when they were factory and stock. The output is much greater and "whiter" then before and I have never been flashed by anyone. It was one of the best functional appearance mods I have bought when compared to the price of Retrosolutions kits to that of OEM.....you save about 600-650 bucks. I actually had to adj the headlights up a bit on the passenger side most likely due to the fact that my tire is only like 26.5+ tall with the 30 series tires on.

To each his own and OP if you buy HID's you wont regret it.......JMO

https://mustangforums.com/forum/vend...lutions-4.html

there is a pic of what the light output is and it is one WITHOUT the bulb coating.

here is a pic of the light output (thanks East87)
Thanks for the love haha.

If anyone was wondering, I have the bulb coating that RetroSolutions offers (that replaces the need for a shield), and I had it on when that pic was taken.

Can't go wrong with RetroSolutions!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback and helping the community guys!