Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else for exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:29 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

get an o/r mid pipe then get some M80's or resonators and weld them in before the rear end and you'll have an aggressive sounding mid muffler setup that's not crazy loud like all straight pipe or open headers.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleep Deprived
If you want LOUD, get some electric cutouts. It can get VERY loud, but with a flip of a switch you're back to your normal exhaust. Perfect for when the you have a cop on your tail...
That sounds like fun
Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Mike02z
1st Gear Member

The electric cutouts would be VERY loud.

I almost went with these on my old Z28. There were issues with them at the time (4 years ago). They had problems staying together at that time. The most popular brand had many issues according to what I read. Hopefully they have solved those issues by now.

My vette has an option called NPP. With the press of a button (aftermarket controller) my exhaust goes from very tame to straight pipes and is ungodly loud. I wish there was a system like this available for our Mustangs. I currently have Borla Stingers and they are nice but not quite loud enough for my taste.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I have cut outs open 24/7 and it sounds friggin' awesome.. I can control the sound somewhat on cruising but at WOT or even part throttle it roars.. no joke.

The start up is the best part.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

loud and good sounding are 2 different things. there is a point at which the loudness starts interfering with the sound quality. i had all straight pipes: LT's, o/r x pipe and muffler deletes for 1 day before realizing that the sound sucks.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

I've heard a lot of people say cutouts sound great. Loud as hell for sure, but good sounding as well...could always put them after the cats, maybe hi-flows? Then again, who wants to spend all the money just to do that? You can have them partially open though, I've actually heard people say it sounds best like this.

I'm going to pick some up just because its about the only way I can have a bad *** sounding exhaust here in California. No longtubes, stock cats...sure you can do it anyway but if you get caught they really stick it to you. I think my car sounds good with the Hot Rod cams, JBA shortys, and Borla stingers, but its not nearly loud enough! Besides, if I'm able to **** off my neigbors a little bit then that alone is worth it to me!
Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

I ran my car without cats and without mufflers for less than a day just see how loud it was. It was too loud for any sort of regular sound. You could feel the cops being drawn from a few miles away. It was also not very clean sounding, just very loud.

I plan on adding some cutouts with resonators just before them sometime this weekend or next, I just haven't decided why type of resonators or cutouts to get.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

the cut outs w/headers, cams would sound like a straight up dragster lol.

I have never heard one with an o/r x/h pipe before though. With the stock cats in place, the cut outs sound perfect. It rumbles the entire cabin and under neath of your car at WOT so keep that in mind!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:55 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

heres what all straight pipes sounds like. its ok for the first few hours bc its a new sound and its loud and scary and all that. but the quality sucks, sounds like a garbage truck, cutouts sound worse. sure it sounds like NASCAR at WOT, but try getting on an onramp or just regular driving at 60-70mph, sounds like you're going 150 mph but you're not. when you get on the onramp the drivers in the other lanes look at you like you're some kind of nut. i almost caused a couple accidents bc the exhaust was just too dam loud. i used to think that nothing is too loud, but this was too loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgafc_cQ2sg
Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
heres what all straight pipes sounds like. i used to think that nothing is too loud, but this was too loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgafc_cQ2sg
is that with the whipple too? that sounds very raspy fart loud but not blarring and throaty loud like the cut outs. The cut outs lack that snappy rattle sound but has more of a rumble. Cruising at 80mph with the OD off sounds like a mock boxer engine in a way...

I wish I had a clip.

Quick Reply: What else for exhaust?