Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with STS experience or knowledge? ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:25 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

Default Anyone with STS experience or knowledge? ?

I was just wonderin if any of you guys knew much about these turbo systems? twins to be exact...

What do they do to the exhaust note?

Reliablility?

Efficiency compared to under the hood mounted systems?

ive been doin alittle research on them but i just wanted to hear from you guys about what yall think about em..? ?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GeritGoul
I was just wonderin if any of you guys knew much about these turbo systems? twins to be exact...

What do they do to the exhaust note?

Reliablility?

Efficiency compared to under the hood mounted systems?

ive been doin alittle research on them but i just wanted to hear from you guys about what yall think about em..? ?
There are a lot of posts about this system on this forum. Those posts have made me decide to never consider this system.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:54 AM
ndgoalie35
2nd Gear Member

I know someone with the single system. You're better off getting the snails under the hood.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:15 AM
i8acobra
2nd Gear Member

Is the resistance here because it's a STS brand system or with the concept of remote mounting? My roommate's Camaro SS has no problems clicking off 10.1's here in Vegas with no track prep at all with his remote mount turbo. At a decent track, his car would run mid-9's all day.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:24 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

resistance is the concept itself from me...not even that much either. I've seen 1 STS setup in person

and was not impressed. looked cobbled together, it hung too low and had road rash on the piping and turbo itself. also, the owner was limited to about 350 RWHP because of oiling issues.
the guy was trying to impress me with his car during a test drive...but it didn't. he obviously had more HP than my Bullitt does, but it wasn't a huge difference.

I can see this being an extremely smart viable option for a Track Car. The constant loading would eliminate the spool time

I'll stick with a conventional top mounted blower...or a centri unit if the $$$ was extremely right. less problems, no lag time, same power
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

i just keep hearin all these good things about the system..maybe one or two negative comments..3 including you tylus..but those were wiped by the more than 30 good things ive heard about it...i never once thought about scraping it lol nor have i heard anything about anyone hitting the bottom...i wanted a supercharger at first then i figured twins cause i would like the top end power, i figured if i did things right then lag time would be reduced...you have any plans for your bullitt tylus?..i think first things first with a built motor for me then new tranny then go FI..i want to be pullin 500-650 at the wheels, i wanna be quick but not to rediculous cause its going to be my daily after all..
Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 AM
pqtiii

I have had my TT (07gt) for a little over a year now. I started out looking at the Whipples, but seemed like everyone was going with the SC. So I wanted to try something different. I also wanted something to I could use throughout my upgrades and not have to switch from single to twin later. Plus I didn't want to mess with all of the exhaust stuff in the engine bay.

The install took a weekend. Fit was almost perfect. Turbos are tucked up where the mufflers were and haven't had any water issues. And the customer service has been great.

I live at 5200 elevation and run 9psi. Boost starts coming on around 2700rpms and is full at 3700. With the 2step NREV I can get 5 psi in a few seconds. I have started wrapping the pipes to see if that changes any. Drivibilty is great. 25 mpg on highway. Turbos sound like jet engine when you get on it.

I have about 15 runs down the strip. With crappy driving, really not sure how to launch it, and spinning thru second ( street tires and 3.31 gears still), the car is in the high 12s at 111mph. The top end pulls hard!

I have raced Roush 427s and Vortech cars at the track and pulled away from them on the top end. Really don't have any other fimilar cars to compare to. Hope this helps.

Pt
Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 AM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pqtiii
I have had my TT (07gt) for a little over a year now. I started out looking at the Whipples, but seemed like everyone was going with the SC. So I wanted to try something different. I also wanted something to I could use throughout my upgrades and not have to switch from single to twin later. Plus I didn't want to mess with all of the exhaust stuff in the engine bay.

The install took a weekend. Fit was almost perfect. Turbos are tucked up where the mufflers were and haven't had any water issues. And the customer service has been great.

I live at 5200 elevation and run 9psi. Boost starts coming on around 2700rpms and is full at 3700. With the 2step NREV I can get 5 psi in a few seconds. I have started wrapping the pipes to see if that changes any. Drivibilty is great. 25 mpg on highway. Turbos sound like jet engine when you get on it.

I have about 15 runs down the strip. With crappy driving, really not sure how to launch it, and spinning thru second ( street tires and 3.31 gears still), the car is in the high 12s at 111mph. The top end pulls hard!

I have raced Roush 427s and Vortech cars at the track and pulled away from them on the top end. Really don't have any other fimilar cars to compare to. Hope this helps.

Pt

ummm yeah lol..this is exactly what im looking for....sounds like a great set up to me..you say youve been running it a year now, are you running a stock motor, tranny, clutch?

and what about the exhaust note? thats pretty important to me :/
Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 AM
i8acobra
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pqtiii
Yes, wrapping makes a difference. Make sure you use the silicone spray on it. Also, remove any cats, resonators or anything else between the ports and the turbo. Don't run anything after the turbos either, just a short dump pipe. Also,if you have headers on the car, go back to stock manifolds. If you can, have them coated or wrap them as well.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:35 AM
pqtiii

Stock everything, except injectors. Came with kit. I had an off road pipe on and it was way too loud and smelly. I put the cats back on and the turbos sound like jet engines. Very distinct sound. Everyone will know that your car has turbos.

Quick Reply: Anyone with STS experience or knowledge? ?