Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calibrator

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 03:43 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

Default Calibrator

I'm curious about how something like the x-calibrator would work. Even if I had it, where exactly does it plug in to the car? If you have pictures, that would be helpful, too. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:53 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Calibrator

The Xcalibrator and Xcalibrator 2 plug into a recepticle directly under the steering column. Using a cable that connects to the unit with the other end connecting to the car. Here is a link to the units.

SCT Site
Old 07-08-2005, 04:08 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

Thanks... I saw their demos of the software. I'd still like to see what I'm looking for under the steering column.

That would be neat to hook that thing up in the passenger seat and monitor my car while I'm driving.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:42 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

They do have kits (Datalogging) that allow you to connect and get real time data. But unless you really have the time to invest in learning the application and the parameters (cause / effect) then it may not be what you really want to do. If you look under your steering column, right at the edge of the dash under there, you will see the port I am talking off. Maybe 2 inches across and a half an inch deep.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:04 PM
nitrojunkee
1st Gear Member

Im sure ill be in the complete minority here by saying this, which is fine.......But, if I were you, I wouldnt even bother buying a tuner. I did, and wished now I would have put that money towards a supercharger and headers. I bought the C&L intake/SCT X-Cal2, and really dont feel any kind of a difference. Ive even played with the XTR files, and dont notice a thing. For $700 I would have been that much closer to the Saleen S/C and making noticeable horsepower. Just my opinion
Old 07-08-2005, 08:34 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: nitrojunkee

Im sure ill be in the complete minority here by saying this, which is fine.......But, if I were you, I wouldnt even bother buying a tuner. I did, and wished now I would have put that money towards a supercharger and headers. I bought the C&L intake/SCT X-Cal2, and really dont feel any kind of a difference. Ive even played with the XTR files, and dont notice a thing. For $700 I would have been that much closer to the Saleen S/C and making noticeable horsepower. Just my opinion
With a SC, you will still need a tuner... so you didn't "waste" that money. And if you get the Saleen SC, you will probably be able to use the C&L CAI with it.

FWIW, I felt a difference with the C&L CAI/Predator package.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:25 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jfrayzier

I'm curious about how something like the x-calibrator would work. Even if I had it, where exactly does it plug in to the car? If you have pictures, that would be helpful, too. Thanks.
heres a pic.. and no thats not my crotch

[IMG]local://upfiles/12960/6D92AAFB9BD64150AFAD6DDC36A0A183.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-08-2005, 09:27 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: lostsoul

ORIGINAL: jfrayzier

heres a pic.. and no thats not my crotch

[IMG]local://upfiles/12960/6D92AAFB9BD64150AFAD6DDC36A0A183.jpg[/IMG]
I can't believe a man your age still has his umbilical cord. [8D]
Old 07-08-2005, 11:24 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrojunkee

If you have a C&L and and SCT tune then something is definitely wrong if you can not feel a difference. Did you download the specific tune for your handheld? Did it come with one. If so, call SCT and speak to a tech there, something is amiss. With a basic tune you should feel an immediate difference with the power / torque. A huge difference in the pull in 2nd and 3rd gear, among many other things.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:18 AM
nitrojunkee
1st Gear Member

Well like I said, I would be in the minority with that statement. But let me say a few things as well. First off, im at 5000-7000 ft. above sea level here, and even higher in some parts of the state. The dyno numbers you guys at sea level are seeing are WAY more than I will see here. And the gains of 25hp or higher that some of you are getting, I'll be lucky to see half that. The SCT tuner came with 3 canned tunes from the dealer, yes they were C&L specific, and I also have made adjustments to the XTR files as well. I am planning on getting to a Dynojet and letting them play with settings to see whats going on. But in all actuallity, for the money, Id say keep it and bolt on forced induction, good flowing headers, and step up the gear ratio to make REAL horsepower. As far as needing a tuner to use with the S/C, yes you do, however most come with one or as with the Saleen, they will reflash your computer for you. And I knew most likely I would be able to use the C&L with the Saleen S/C, thats the reason I bought it.

Its great so many of you noticed huge power gains from some of these CAI's and tuners.....believe me, sometimes id love to live somewhere closer to sea level. Its so hard to make power at this altitude. All you guys running high 13s make me so jealous.....the best ive seen up here , stock , with the stock pirelli's was a 14.84.

Quick Reply: Calibrator