Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS... Do I have it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
07 Cervini
2nd Gear Member

Default TPMS... Do I have it?

I have a 2007 Mustang GT, and always assumed my vehicle was equipped with the tire pressure monitoring system because of the government regulated safety features mandated in 2007. I have been looking at replacing my current stock wheels and tires, but I dont want to spend the extra money on sensors and syncing tools if I dont need to. The vehicle window sticker when I bought the vehicle doesn't list TPMS as a feature, and when I press the info button for the car to check the various systems, tire pressure is not one of them. Also, I have NEVER seen the TPMS light come up on the dash. The only time I have seen the idiot light is when I turn the ignition key, but I dont start the car.

Is there a way to see if I have TPMS without taking one of the wheels off and driving around town with a spare? I was told my car was built in July of 2007, and some of the early 2007's do not have TPMS. Is July too far into the year to be one of these select lucky few?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

You should have it. It is not indicated on the window sticker. The light is supposed to illuminate for 3 seconds when you turn the ignition switch to the ON position, and it seems as though yours does this.

If your car was built in July of 2007, it must be a late model 2007. The early models were built in July of 2006.

BTW, if you have a properly inflated regular tire that you have in the trunk, and are using the donut spare, you will likely not get a warning. The system only checks that it is receiving four signals, and the wheel does not need to be rotating.

You could always deflate one tire to 24 psi and watch the light come on after you have driven a bit.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yours should have it. But no biggie. You can either hit the reset button every time you get in your car OR you can buy a band kit for each new wheel and swap the sensors from your old wheels like most people do. The kits are about $18 each. My local Ford dealer did the swap for free when they mounted and balanced my new wheels and tires.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

My 07 was built in 06 and it has the sensors. Just buy the band kit and swap them over. Your tire installer will probably do it for you. Its not a big deal.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:18 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

yOU HAVE pms IF IT IS vinED AS AN 07.
Govt mandated.
Period.
Ford had no choice in the matter...