Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post/new car/some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:15 PM
carnage

Default First post/new car/some thoughts

I bought a 2010 GT this weekend, but won't be getting it until Tuesday, because they are doing a dealer trade.

I didn't *plan* on buying one, but once I saw the grabber blue, I fell in love with it. I've never had a blue car before, so this will take some getting used to.

Believe it or not, I haven't even driven the car yet. I've had a 2002 mustang before, and we now have a 2005 mustang V6, so I'm sure, from the things I've read, it has to be better than those cars, so I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed. I am able to decline the deal if it doesn't drive out like I want it to when I pick it up Tuesday, but again, I hope that I will be pleasantly surprised, when comparing it to our 2005 model.

Some thoughts:

*I won't mod this car. Ever. I've done that before and it has always come back to bite me. On my last car, I had changed out the exhaust system and from that day forward, every time it rained, I would get a banging sound underneath the car that would drive me crazy. And I won't even talk about the money I've wasted on mod's.

*Mine is the base GT.....the cloth seats and all. The stero in it sounded pretty lame, but then again, how good does a radio have to be when you listen to talk most of the time. And this is right....my iphone WILL hook up to the radio, correct?

*I love the look of a lowered car, but on my last car I put coilovers on it, and the thing road horribly, so I hope the height of the car, after time, doesn't look too high.

*The seats don't fatigue you after riding in the car for over an hour, do they?

*Are they making a set amount of the grabber blue cars? I wonder if there are going to be 30 of them running around the small town I live in.

*I really hope that it is as quiet as some of the things I have been reading online suggest. I want to hear the exhaust when I get into it heavily, but other than that, I never want to hear the droning of an exhaust as I drive down an interstate.

*I love some of the reviews I have been reading on the car. This makes me feel like the car is really going to impress.

Good to find this site, and I hope to learn much from the time I am spending here.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Congrats. Grabber Blue is awesome.

The exhaust stock has some rumble to it, but u hardly hear it while normally driving. When u lay into the throttle you can hear it more.

The I have the premium seats, and so far I am impressed. Seems like better quality than years past.

Ride height is ok. For me I would like it lower. I will wait to hear how others like the ride when they lower their car.

We probably wont know how many Grabber Blues they make till they are all done making 2010's. Although I hear 2011 will have the same colors in the lineup.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:36 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by carnage
I bought a 2010 GT this weekend, but won't be getting it until Tuesday, because they are doing a dealer trade.

I didn't *plan* on buying one, but once I saw the grabber blue, I fell in love with it. I've never had a blue car before, so this will take some getting used to.

Believe it or not, I haven't even driven the car yet. I've had a 2002 mustang before, and we now have a 2005 mustang V6, so I'm sure, from the things I've read, it has to be better than those cars, so I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed. I am able to decline the deal if it doesn't drive out like I want it to when I pick it up Tuesday, but again, I hope that I will be pleasantly surprised, when comparing it to our 2005 model.

Some thoughts:

*I won't mod this car. Ever. I've done that before and it has always come back to bite me. On my last car, I had changed out the exhaust system and from that day forward, every time it rained, I would get a banging sound underneath the car that would drive me crazy. And I won't even talk about the money I've wasted on mod's.

*Mine is the base GT.....the cloth seats and all. The stero in it sounded pretty lame, but then again, how good does a radio have to be when you listen to talk most of the time. And this is right....my iphone WILL hook up to the radio, correct?

*I love the look of a lowered car, but on my last car I put coilovers on it, and the thing road horribly, so I hope the height of the car, after time, doesn't look too high.

*The seats don't fatigue you after riding in the car for over an hour, do they?

*Are they making a set amount of the grabber blue cars? I wonder if there are going to be 30 of them running around the small town I live in.

*I really hope that it is as quiet as some of the things I have been reading online suggest. I want to hear the exhaust when I get into it heavily, but other than that, I never want to hear the droning of an exhaust as I drive down an interstate.

*I love some of the reviews I have been reading on the car. This makes me feel like the car is really going to impress.

Good to find this site, and I hope to learn much from the time I am spending here.
Congrats on the Grabber Blue GT purchase!!

As you can see from my sig.. I have some mods:

The Roush O/R Exhaust and FRPP lowering springs. The exhaust sounds awesome and I have had no issues with it.

Seats are damn comfortable. i have the Premier leather so I am not sure if the seat comfort is exactly the same. I have driven to NC and back and to Atlanta and back from Tampa and no issues. The piece of crap Impala I have will kill my back after just an hour or so.

Big difference in sound from the base GT stereo to Premium stereo. Plus I get SYNC and Sirius.

These cars are extremely quiet!! Which is one of the reasons I added the Exhaust system...plus the 4" tips look much better than the stock.

I lowered mine. Ride is not as good as stock but also not bad, plus it looks fantastic!!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Welcome!

I also have a '10 Mustang GT base. At the time I bought it I would have preferred the premium, but I wanted Kona Blue and it was the only one available. I am glad I got the base, the cloth looks great and it is lighter without the leather, extra speakers, etc. I don't miss or need any of the premium options. The only thing I did not like about the base was the crappy plastic steering wheel, but I was able to fix that by installing a 05'09 GT500/Bullitt steering wheel. The install was easy and it dramatically improves the interior. It looks just like the stock steering wheel, but is all leather.

I also have had bad experiences modding cars in the past and was reluctant to mod this one. However, I do open track events, HPDEs, and the occasional autocross so I started modding the suspension. I am in my late thirties and didn't want to drive around in a loud, unreliable, or harsh riding car. So my modding philosophy is to do only things that I know will improve the car without making it unreliable, loud, hard or harsh riding, etc.

At first I didn't plan on lowering the car, but after a while the ride height got to me. The guy who parks next to me at work has a BMW 6 series. Compared to that car mine looked like a 4x4. If you can't stand the stock ride and stock ride height, I'd highly recommend the Roush Stage 2 Suspension. The only lowers 1" and has matched struts, bumpstops, and sway bars. Honestly I couldn't tell a difference in ride quality on the street between the Roush and the stock kit, and neither could my wife which is the most important part. However, the improvement in handling is incredible. Ford racing also offers a kit that lowers about 1" and that might offer a good ride and lowering as well.

Enjoy your new car!
Blair
Old 09-06-2009, 04:09 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

mine is lowered 1.5" and the ride quality is about the same as my '05 stock GT ride.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:14 PM
carnage

Thanks for the replies!

wilkinda....your car looks great lowered.

If I ever do lower it, and I honestly can't see that happening, because I went through such a bad time with my previous car being lowered....expansion joints in the freeway that you could feel every time you went over them......interior parts that started squeaking/rattling.....and constantly feeling like your coilovers were out of adjustment. Drains me just thinking about it.

But if I ever do lower it, I will take the suggestions into consideration that you made.

This car will never be tracked. It's just going to be a daily driver. I hope the modding bug doesn't bite me, but I also know, when reading on the forums, you always find yourself wanting what someone else has.

Any of you all know if the mustang has a place to hook an iphone into? I've been searching and can't tell. I know that the premium has that sync thing that has it, but wondering if the GT base has anything that can hook into it.

I feel in love with the blue on this car. I've always wanted a blue car. This is the first holiday weekend that I have ever wanted to hurry up and end. I'm so looking forward to actually driving this car, and I HOPE that the base GT seats are more comfortable than the seats in our 05.

Easy to swap the steering wheel out, huh? Hmmmm.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:54 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

my car is as low as you can go from aftermarket springs, and it does ride harder, but the stock stang rides to soft. my back end is a little stiff meaning the springs are overpowering the stock shocks. i ordered these 12 way adjustable shocks to get more rear-end control back. But this car devours the road like a fat guy on a cheese steak....

shocks:

my lowered stang:

Last edited by dominant1; 09-06-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

when i bought my car i told myself i would never mod it

but then..............
Old 09-07-2009, 12:14 AM
rippy25
1st Gear Member

yes in the console you can hook up your iphone, i hooke mune up daily and it is very clear. i have the base model gt
Old 09-07-2009, 02:57 AM
xspsi
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by carnage
*I won't mod this car. Ever.
This idea will not last. Trust me...LOL!

Quick Reply: First post/new car/some thoughts