Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB 08-2-10 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:58 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by jonesaw
I have an 06 Saleen (manual) and I experience a metalic sounding rattle at startup. To me it sounds like it is coming from the front of the trans or back side of the engine.
Hi jonesaw,

I reached out on your post on a different forum, but please PM me your VIN (on either forum) so I can review your situation. Talk to you soon.
~Natasha
Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

TSB's are usually free only when done under the warranty period, after that they usually charge you. Really depends on your dealer also.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:24 PM
jonesaw

Default SOLVED THE RATTLE

It was the exhaust mounts for the H pipe.

I ordered a new seperator plate and replaced it myself. I thought for sure that was the problem. There was even a shinny spot on the old plate right where the new plate had the cut out. But sure enough, I hear it as soon as I start it up. In fact it got worse, which made it easy to identify as the H-pipe exhaust hangers. I initially suspected the hangers and got under the car and hit them with a dead blow hammer but never heard anything. I guess since I had H pipe out to swap the plates I must have move it just enough to make it worse. After still hearing the noise after installing the new plate, I hit them again and it was clear that they were making all the noise. Even thought the exhaust hangers were perfectly centered inside the rubber isolators, the metal c-clamp would vibrate against the cross member at certain frequencies.
Removed the hangers and problem solved.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 PM
jonesaw

Default Problem solved - Exhaust hangers!

It was the exhaust mounts for the H pipe, making all the noise at cold startups.

I ordered a new seperator plate and replaced it myself. I thought for sure that was the problem. There was even a shinny spot on the old plate right where the new plate had the cut out. But sure enough, I hear it as soon as I start it up. In fact it got worse, which made it easy to identify as the H-pipe exhaust hangers. I initially suspected the hangers and got under the car and hit them with a dead blow hammer but never heard anything. I guess since I had H pipe out to swap the plates I must have move it just enough to make it worse. After still hearing the noise after installing the new plate, I hit them again and it was clear that they were making all the noise. Even thought the exhaust hangers were perfectly centered inside the rubber isolators, the metal c-clamp would vibrate against the cross member at certain frequencies.
Removed the hangers and problem solved.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Glad you fixed it!