Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:23 PM
stanngg
2nd Gear Member

Default Noisy Heat Shield

Anyone know of any after market heat shields for our cars? The heat shield above the cats and further down the exhaust is rattling. The sheet metal is so cheesy, Its bolted in the center and bends torward the chassis but seems too flimsy...keeps rattling on the exhaust....
Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

How do you know its the heat shield? When does it do it exactly?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:06 PM
stanngg
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
How do you know its the heat shield? When does it do it exactly?
It actually does it all the time real low. Much louder on acceleration. Had the car xerviced today and told the Forn Mechanics. We had the car on the lift and the shield were really close to the exhaust. We bent them back torward the chassis and it went away. Only to return a few hours later...
Old 09-19-2009, 08:52 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Gotcha. I asked because I have a metallic rattle too. I thought it was the exhaust or heatshield but coudlnt find a problem down there. I'm fairly certain its the dust shield between the motor and tranny. Theres a TSB on it. But it does it around 3k rpm, not all the time. Good luck though!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:36 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

check all your bolts make sure there tite too...take it off that will fix it!! hehe
Old 09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
stanngg
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
Gotcha. I asked because I have a metallic rattle too. I thought it was the exhaust or heatshield but coudlnt find a problem down there. I'm fairly certain its the dust shield between the motor and tranny. Theres a TSB on it. But it does it around 3k rpm, not all the time. Good luck though!
Really? How do you fix something like that?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 PM
stanngg
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rford426
check all your bolts make sure there tite too...take it off that will fix it!! hehe
haha...you know I thought about that. I know those cats get really hot though...
Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
stanngg
2nd Gear Member

Talking Let the Stang loose today!

Riding home from Phila today on n/s freeway. (highway in Jersey going towards Atlantic City) Black stang just like mine pops in my review. Of course I hit it and so does he. Backed 4th at about 70 and TOOK OFF! (man these cars are FAST). So we're hauling azz and we blow by this late model Vette. Silver, real nice. Before I knew it he's right next to us. We all rocked about a buck 10 down the AC expressway. Love these cars! These little 4.6's just beg to driven! Glad my wife doesn't read these forums...she would kick my azz. She keeps saying she's going to take out an isurance policy on me.

Sorry if I affended any

Last edited by stanngg; 09-20-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 09-22-2009, 03:16 AM
kenpomaster20

Originally Posted by stanngg
Anyone know of any after market heat shields for our cars? The heat shield above the cats and further down the exhaust is rattling. The sheet metal is so cheesy, Its bolted in the center and bends torward the chassis but seems too flimsy...keeps rattling on the exhaust....
I've been having the same problem. Mine start to rattle around 2500 RPM. I've searched other forums and one suggested that the bolts in the dust shield to the transmission are missing (if your vehicle was manufactured before 2-1-05). If that's the case, they are two standard motor bolts, 10mm x 1.5mm thread, not longer than 3/4". I'm going to have the service techs take a look at this on my next oil change. Hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 AM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

question is can you take them off !? and iff so what will happen if anything ..??

Quick Reply: Noisy Heat Shield