Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Racing shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 07:39 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Default Ford Racing shifter

Sat in a 2010 Roush today. OMG, the shifter. I am in love with the shifter. Except I'm not putting a Roush shifter on my car.

It looked and felt (I guess) what I expect a hurst shifter might be like. Close to the same?

Anyway, how about the FRPP shifter? Isn't it a re-badged hurst shifter? I've always has a warm fuzzy about FRPP branded stuff.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:45 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

...and why is there a rebuild kit available for the FRPP shifter http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11230

What's that about?
Old 09-19-2009, 09:04 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

same here.

for awhile, lethal performance had the M-7210-T1 listed
on their website. i ordered one and what I received was
a hurst comp plus (391-0201) which i think is great.

i hope they are the same thing...

Originally Posted by shanec

I've always has a warm fuzzy about FRPP branded stuff.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:40 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Your in love with the 2010 shifter in the Roush but won't put one in your car.... Why is that? Is it because of the ball having Roush name on it or just a dislike for Roush products in general?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:39 AM
RyanV

Greetings Gentlemen,

I found this article, which has some good close up photos of the various aftermarket shifters available, I feel like the "which shifter is best" threads have been beaten to death, I simply submit that there are design differences between the various aftermarket shifters and IMO, the Hurst line, besides being made in China, look too similar to the stocker to be an "upgrade".

Anyways, I'm not trying to be controversial, just thought I would provide the link and some photos to corroborate my point of view.

Link: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ers/index.html

Stock Shifter:

Hurst:

MGW

PRO 50

STEEDA

B&M

Old 09-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

I have the hurst I love it!

At the end of the day, most of them are very similar, to be honest this is probably one of those instances where "more is less". Having a ton of options just confuses people!

In the past I have had pro 5.0, B&M, Hurst, Steeda as shifters all in different cars. They ALL did their job & lived up to their "hype". Never had any issues with them breaking (most of these things are bullit proof). I am currently running a Hurst in all 3 of my cars.

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:41 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Does anybody know what the FRPP shifter service kit is?

Don't want Roush brand in the car because I don't drive a Roush. I'm strange like that.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

It's a new stalk, bearings, and clips for the shifter (they all fit into the shifter body below the handle). The Hursts (and I'm sure the FRPP, as they're the same piece) have a tendency to rattle due to wide tolerances in the manufacture process. You can lube the shifter and quiet it up, though I'm sure some people buy this hoping for better matched parts. Shifter parts also DO wear out in time, and if you've got enough miles on the car, it may need this part to keep your shifts smooth.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Threads like this make me wish I had a manual all over again. There's so many nice options for shifters. For the auto, only one option. But, it is a very nice option!

If I had a manual, I'd get the Hurst. I just love how it looks. It's kind of old school and I dig that kind of thing.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:39 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

New hurst is chinese, as far as what people have reported.

If I get one I will either get the MGW or the pro 50. I was disappointed on how much you can move the MGW it when its in gear, it doesnt feel very tight, and they also moved it back a lot from the center of the "box" the shifter sits in on the center console.

So far I have been using my stock shifter with poly bushings and a saleen short shift block. I am hoping with the pro 50 will be setup with the stops where you need it stock because I don't want to mess with that stuff. Not sure why they even put that in because there is a good chance you can mess up your trans if you mess up the settings too much.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing shifter