Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker500 amplifiers with nav unit

Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 PM
bluestang35

Default Shaker500 amplifiers with nav unit

I was checking out where my sub amps were the other day ( found them above drivers side kick panel) but they only have one connected. The other amp,the wire connections are disconnected for some reason. The stereo sounds good and both subwoofers are working,
but I thought each amp was for each subwoofer in front doors. Have they changed this if you have the nav unit? Has anybody else checked this out?

If anyone can give me any insight on this I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

hopefully "FordEngineer" will be by shortly with your answer....
Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

You should have 2 amps, behind the Right Side kick panel (according to my drawings). I've attached a few pictures. Per the technical documents, in picture 1, the left amp should be for the RIGHT door subwoofer, and the right (angled) amp should be for the LEFT door subwoofer.

There's a regular audio amp in the right wall of the trunk (behind the subs if you have the Shaker 1000), but the ones behind the kick panel are for the door subs. There's nothing in the door but the wiring harnesses for the speakers (see pictures 2 and 3). If I remember, I'll look at mine in the next day or so and see how it's configured. In the meantime, if everything is acting normally, I wouldn't mess with it.
Attached Thumbnails Shaker500 amplifiers with nav unit-amp.jpg   Shaker500 amplifiers with nav unit-doorwoofer.jpg   Shaker500 amplifiers with nav unit-doorspeaker.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 AM
bluestang35

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
You should have 2 amps, behind the Right Side kick panel (according to my drawings). I've attached a few pictures. Per the technical documents, in picture 1, the left amp should be for the RIGHT door subwoofer, and the right (angled) amp should be for the LEFT door subwoofer.

There's a regular audio amp in the right wall of the trunk (behind the subs if you have the Shaker 1000), but the ones behind the kick panel are for the door subs. There's nothing in the door but the wiring harnesses for the speakers (see pictures 2 and 3). If I remember, I'll look at mine in the next day or so and see how it's configured. In the meantime, if everything is acting normally, I wouldn't mess with it.
Hey , Thanks FE for the reply but with the 2010 nav system they evidently disconnect one of the amps because mine is not connected. The wiring harness for the connection to the amp bottom is just laying there and the top connection is disconnected. Maybe they use just the one amp to run both door subs with the nav sytem. If you have nav in yours maybe you can check it out. Thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 02:41 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Interesting. Yeah, I'll have to check mine out. I have nav also (I'd instantly be labeled a traitor by my colleagues if I didn't get it).
Old 09-23-2009, 02:49 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

You sure that both are working? I can't imagine them installing an amp if it's unnecessary. But, you never know.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 PM
bluestang35

Smile

Originally Posted by d_ames117
You sure that both are working? I can't imagine them installing an amp if it's unnecessary. But, you never know.
Well, I cranked up the stereo and most the bass WAS coming out of the midrange speakers in the door, couldn't feel any air pressure from sub speakers so I crawled up under the footwell and found the top wiring harness to the 2nd amp that wasn't connected and connected both wiring harnesses and now both are working & sounding Better.

Guess Ford forgot to plug them in before it left the plant.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:17 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Epic Fail.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
gmlgmlgml

Originally Posted by bluestang35
I was checking out where my sub amps were the other day ( found them above drivers side kick panel) but they only have one connected. The other amp,the wire connections are disconnected for some reason. The stereo sounds good and both subwoofers are working,
but I thought each amp was for each subwoofer in front doors. Have they changed this if you have the nav unit? Has anybody else checked this out?

If anyone can give me any insight on this I would appreciate it. Thanks
VERY INTERESTING. I am an "audio" geek as well. Had the Shaker 500 in an '05 and an '06. Have listened to hours and hours of music. So my ears are very familiar with the "Shaker 500" sound.

There is no question that in my '10, with the Nav unit, there is not as much sound pressure from the sub woofers in the doors. The low frequency is indeed there, but it definately not as loud.

Also of interest, it simply says "Shaker" - not "Shaker 500"

I love the NAV unit so much I have resigned my self to less punch - but if indeed the extra amp is not hooked and could be - that would make my day.

Please keep us posted.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 AM
mcassoni

For the Ford Engineer, Will there be a HD radio plug in for the Nav unit anytime soon? I understand the ones from past years won't work.
Also what compresion technolody do they use for the jukebox? It sounds pretty good, I'm guessing 320kb MP3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shaker500 amplifiers with nav unit