Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programmers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:04 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Default Programmers?

Seen a few get them but haven't really heard a good review on them, especially for the GT 5-speed manuals.

I'm thinking about picking one up now from either Brenspeed or Bama. I'll definately will be calling to make sure they are up on getting them out in a timely manner.

Most shops I know use the SCT X3 but I might try one of the mail order custome tunes before I get an actually dyno tune.

So those with e programmer was it worth the price? What all did it improve?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2009, 08:44 AM
SMiller
2nd Gear Member

It still is a SCT, just instead of having a junk canned tune like you would get with superchip or some other crappy tuner you get a good tune, keep in mind that these guys dyno a Mustang and squeeze everything they can get out of it and that is the tune they send you. Just damn near as good as a dyno tune, only thing is I wouldn't take my car just anywhere and get it dyno tuned where as I would trust these guys tune.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 AM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SMiller
It still is a SCT, just instead of having a junk canned tune like you would get with superchip or some other crappy tuner you get a good tune, keep in mind that these guys dyno a Mustang and squeeze everything they can get out of it and that is the tune they send you. Just damn near as good as a dyno tune, only thing is I wouldn't take my car just anywhere and get it dyno tuned where as I would trust these guys tune.
I know this, I just wanna hear from those that have one specifically on a GT 5-speed. Power wise from the dynos I have seen there is not much whp/wtq to be had so I wanna hear what the other benefits are and if it seems worth it to those that have one.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:56 PM
SMiller
2nd Gear Member

There is very little hp\tq to be gained, what you gain is being able to open the throttle body, having the injectors inject fuel and the spark plugs fire. With a stock tune and the throttle by wire the car very smoothly and slowly opens up, I have heard reports of the throttle not opening fully on WOT untill a pretty high rpm and simply pulling a lot of spark and fuel, this is why cars don't have that cool droan sound anymore. So the driveabilty is just crazy with a good tune, the car will jump up and go with just touching the throttle where as before it would just sit there, its kinda like having a old well tuned carb V8, real tuchy and responsive, just waiting to go.

It is to bad no one has a dyno video of a stock mustang pulling and a well tuned one, when the car is just loafing along and you drop the hammer on the dyno and the car slowly starts to really take off, then the tuned one where the car really gets with it and you can here it WOT pulling right off.

You are also looking at better milage since you can lean the air\fuel out and add some spark, really fine tunes the motor!

That is all you are getting, well worth it though!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Do you have a programmer on your 2010 GT? I have had some sort of tuner/programmer on almost all my vehicles and know what they specifically do, I have even tuned a few of them.
I would just really want to heard from those with first hand experience on a 2010 GT with a 5-speed. A generic description is not really what I'm looking for.

I have some pretty cool data logging software on my laptop I'll have to hook up the the Mustang to see if this vehicle is one that doesn't allow the throttle plate to open full. From the dynos I seen, I don't think that is the case though as there should be more power to be had if there was.

Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:46 AM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

We have a 2010 GT and have been tuning them since late April. Ford did put a more aggressive tune on the 2010's, similar to the Bullitts' tune. Because of this there is not as much horsepower and torque to gain. You will gain some hp and tq but your noticeable gains will come from your instant throttle response, better drivability, eliminated adaptive learning, and different torque management. It is still worth every penny. Our 2010 make 285 rwhp after the tune and it is an auto.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:32 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BRENSPEED
We have a 2010 GT and have been tuning them since late April. Ford did put a more aggressive tune on the 2010's, similar to the Bullitts' tune. Because of this there is not as much horsepower and torque to gain. You will gain some hp and tq but your noticeable gains will come from your instant throttle response, better drivability, eliminated adaptive learning, and different torque management. It is still worth every penny. Our 2010 make 285 rwhp after the tune and it is an auto.
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much sold on the tuner. And will have it up on the dyno before and after. But I am more interested in the instant throttle response and better drivability. I'll be giving you guys a call pretty soon.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

How much did the GT make BEFORE the tune?

You guys sent me an email saying you mailed out my tuner, I hope to have by Friday! Can't wait to see what it does and how it works with my Roush exhaust.

Joe

Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
SMiller
2nd Gear Member

I would also like to know what it made before the tune. Kinda weird that you post after and not before, I know it isn't much but would still like to know what it made.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:24 PM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

I emailed you guys like 2 weeks ago and never got a reply. This is the 3rd company that wont get back to me about a tune. I dont really understand what the problem is.

Quick Reply: Programmers?