Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end clunking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Sp3kter
1st Gear Member

Default Rear end clunking.

HI. I recently installed J&M lower controll arms ever since than I get a lot of clunking from the rear end. It happens when I shift and also if i am slowing down and hit the accelerator to speed up. Any ides or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.
I had my torque wrench calibrated recently so i know I got the right tourque on the bolts (129 ft/lb) and the suspension was loaded when the bolts where tightened.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I and others have had this problem. No cure for it to my knowledge. I replaced the LCA bolts as recommended by steeda and it helped(I think?) but is still not like the stockers.

It's supposedly the stiff poly bushings that transmit the extra NVH. WHy it only happens to select few i wish I knew. But in my case with the clunking noise I've whipped the hell outta the car with the new LCAs for almost 2 years drag racing included and they're still fine.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Are your lca's adjustable models? Is your car lowered? stock or 1-piece ds? Your pinion angle could be off causing some driveline slap.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Sp3kter
1st Gear Member

They are not adjustable and the car is stock ride height. I do have some play in the driveshaft but don't really know what the tolerance is. It also seems to get worse as the car warms up. I noticed that it even clunks as I move the shifter into reverse.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 AM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

umm the s197 is clunky to begin with, lol.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

It clunks as you SHIFT into reverse with the clutch depressed or clunks when you let off the clutch and start MOVING in reverse? You had zero issues prior to the lca install correct?

Oh and which model JM ca's do you have? the race model (extreme joint) or poly type?

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 10-01-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:03 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Are they the "Extreme Joint" variety
http://www.americanmuscle.com/extrem...trol-arms.html

if so make sure the "extreme joint" side is on your axle not your body. Also, I would take off the extreme side and make sure the ball is good and tight, you should hardly be able to move it by hand. When you put it back together, make sure the joint is not twisted already, as that will cause bind.

Also, look at the ends VERY closely. One end should be a little fatter off to one side. There is a offset from the body mounts to the rear axle's. If the offsets are not in the right place, that will also make a ton of noise.

If there still making noise or are not extreme joint versions... I don't know man. Doesn't make sense that putting in a LCA that is fixed with polly bushings would add any noise by them self.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
It clunks as you SHIFT into reverse with the clutch depressed or clunks when you let off the clutch and start MOVING in reverse?
Very curious why you asked those specific questions as mine is making a slight clunk when in reverse, right when the car starts to move??
Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Sp3kter
1st Gear Member

When I depress the clutch and move the shifter into rewerse just as it slips into reverse it gives of a clunk it will also clunk as I shift trough the gears and as the clutch engages. I really cant explain it. The only thing I can think of is thet the condition was always present and thet the poly bushings are just transmitting the noise better than the stockers. And the arms are just the regular J&M poly bushing.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

What I was aiming at with my clutch depressed/moving question is figuring out whether it's driveline slop or shifter linkage issues. Now you're saying it was present to a lesser degree PRIOR to the lca install so maybe you're just hypersensitive to your shifter linkage noises. Mine clunks too when I put it in gear but the MGW has a heavy, positive, quality feeling engagement clunk and I look at that as a good thing. You may not. It's a mustang not a bmw so it's not going to work like a quality rifle bolt, although the MGW is the closest I've come to that feel .

I thought JDWalton was really on to something with the orientation of the lca's but since you have the poly's (which also have a large/small side for inside/ouside orientation by the way) that may not be the issue. I had clunking issues after lowering the car and doing upper/lower lca's all at the same time and was able to adjust the upper LCA to correct the pinion angle and it's smooth now. My one-piece driveshaft also played into that and everything had to line up perfectly to get rid of the driveline slop.

I'm kinda out of ideas for you at this point.

Quick Reply: Rear end clunking.