Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling All Convertibles - Back Window Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:41 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Why is the top up?

well, without the boot cover over the lowered top you can't go over 90 mph with the top down. It will start to fill will air and pop up!

There is also the very real threat of skin cancer caused by driving around in sunny weather with the top down. Out here nobody drives their vert with the top down on hot days except the loony tourists, unless they are wearing a hat of some kind.

Driving with the top down also gets the interior dirty much sooner.

And the main reason the top isn't down: it takes so long! You have to wait while the windows are lowered before the top will start to retract and it takes a lot longer than the old verts from the 70's. So most vert owners aren't going to lower the roof if we're just driving to the store because we should close the top when we leave our cars. I almost never leave the Mustang alone with the top down. It can attract thieves as well as dirt, dust and leaves.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:13 AM
wise_jonny
1st Gear Member

i personally wouldn't own a convertible unless it was a hardtop vert. anyways, i rented a 2010 vert and yeah, when i was driving at about 40+ that small back window was flapping. I was quite shocked because I thought it would hold in place better. Either way-just another reason why I got a hardtop.

Also, does that 2010 vert come with a roll cage of some sort? bc it seems if you do get in a roll over there is nothing but that front dash..maybe I'm wrong-let me know
Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
Why is the top up?

well, without the boot cover over the lowered top you can't go over 90 mph with the top down. It will start to fill will air and pop up!

There is also the very real threat of skin cancer caused by driving around in sunny weather with the top down. Out here nobody drives their vert with the top down on hot days except the loony tourists, unless they are wearing a hat of some kind.

Driving with the top down also gets the interior dirty much sooner.

And the main reason the top isn't down: it takes so long! You have to wait while the windows are lowered before the top will start to retract and it takes a lot longer than the old verts from the 70's. So most vert owners aren't going to lower the roof if we're just driving to the store because we should close the top when we leave our cars. I almost never leave the Mustang alone with the top down. It can attract thieves as well as dirt, dust and leaves.

Wow! If I thought like you, my top would never be down

Think it takes all of 20 seconds for the windows and top to get lowered. And since installing the Web Electric one touch top down kit over the weekend, it is that much easier as you hit the button and everything drops. But then again, I bought mine so I could drive it with the top dropped and I rarely go anywhere with it up.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves. Here's my take.

1. Rollover - less likely than a coupe. Please read the NHTSA findings, 94 fatalities from 87 rollovers out of a total of 10,000 rollover fatalities. I'll take those odds and I wonder how many of those rollover fatalities were alcohol related.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20051109/FREE/511090703

2. Skin Cancer - Can you say 30 or 45 SPF. I carry and use sun screen, I get the kind for kids which includes bug repellent and has a higher SPF. Gotta remember that Fla is extremely buggy, our state bird is the salt marsh mosquito.

3. Locking - aka - leaving the top down. How do you lock a convertible, any pen knife will will open it up to a thief. If it's unlocked you are less likely to have someone destroy your top. Then again some thieves are very dense. When I was in the Marines many moons ago I had an old Chevy 4 door sedan. One weekend when I was the duty Sergeant someone broke the vent window and attacked my glove box with a screwdriver. Neither the car nor the glovebox were locked, go figure. So in conclusion I leave nothing in the car or glovebox of any value. Anything of value is in the trunk and I would never put a remote trunk switch in a vert. Just remember locks only keep honest people honest.

4. Top lifts above 90 mph - Well I've never found a highway where the speed limit was that high so I guess it's a non issue. Even when I operated emergency vehicles as a volunteer firefighter it was county policy that we could only exceed the posted speed limit by 10 mph.

In the 17 years I was a firefighter, I responded to a lot of signal 4s with quite a few being rollovers, especially on I-95. None were verts.

BB
Semper Fi
~~~;~~;"< Just another rowdy reptile - Go Gators