Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced my fuel and cabin air filters today. Comments...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default Replaced my fuel and cabin air filters today. Comments...

There's been a lot of buz on the forum recently about these 2 items. I finally replaced both and here's my 2 cents:

Fuel Filter:

I had a little over 31,000 miles on the stock filter. I pretty much followed the step-by-steps in the sticky (with the exception of lubricating the fuel lines with oil... WTF?) after picking a replacement up at Autozone for $9 and change after tax.
  • My 1st lesson learned was to put the entire drivers side up on ramps and NOT the front wheels. Although I could get to the cover and lines, it was tight. It was a bit of a chore to get the cover partially detached to get to the filter easily but that was due to being a bit confined. I'm sure others have jacked their cars and didn't have that issue.
  • I pulled the fuse and cranked the engine with a no-start to kill the fuel line pressure per the shop manual. Also, the 2 green buttons on the fuel lines do NOT need a tool to disengage and re-engage. My fingers worked fine and it was practically effortless. Nontheless, about 1/4 cup or so of fuel still drained onto the floor. I had some old paint rags handy just for this so it wasn't much of a problem.
  • Someone had mentioned that the fuel in their old filter had spilled out brown after about 30,000 miles (if I recall). Mine was crystal clear.
  • I reinstalled the fuse and did 4 cycles of the ignition to "on" per the step-by-step; the fuel pump priming a tad less with each cycle. She fired right up after that. No leaks after few minutes.
  • I took her out for a 40 mile run. I didn't feel any change in performance as others claimed (nor was I really expecting to but it would have been a pleasnt surprise). Again, no leaks after arriving home.
Cabin Air Filter:

Again, with over 31,000 miles and all the hub-bub, I did this immediatley after the fuel filter. I had bought 2 filters about 8 months ago since I found them cheap. You can tell this wasn't a high priority. Geez, I might breathe outside air unfiltered. The horror...
  • I always have problems with those darned plastic clip-screw things. Fortunately, I didn't bust any this time. The 2 clips come off and you pull up on the plastic trim. I couldn't get mine off completely at the attachment point closest to the fender which was fine since there's enough room to get the filter out.
  • I was surprised at how dirty it was. Especially since, had it not been for some chunky stuff on the outside, the pleats were as dirty on the inside as they were on the outside.
  • You remove the filter from it's frame, insert the new filter into the frame and then reverse your disassembly.
  • It took me about 5 minutes including my 3 Stooges episode with the clips; 6 minutes if you include the time I took to gawk at the dirty filter. I couldn't even find the mailman so I could prove how dirty it was (camera inside; me outside; me lazy)
Th-Th-Th-That's all, folks.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:54 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the tips on replacing these two items. I would've liked to see your 3 stooges episode with the clips. LOL The 3 stooges is one of my favorite oldies.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

This is a good reminder for everyone to do theirs!!

i baught my stang with 50,000 miles and i changed the fuel and cabin filters at 60,000 miles

i had her up on a hoist lift so i didnt have to worry about jacking up both sides

but my throttle response was much better afterwards probably because it had never been changed before

Glad to hear your keeping on top of it and not taking it to the stealership.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:00 PM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

Hardest part of the fuel filter was getting the yeehaw to give me the right damn filter. Changed it a few weeks ago and was surprised the gas was clear. She loves testing the miles to empty warning so I half expected it to be pretty filthy.

Not to hijack. Another thing I like to do every 15-20K is clean the throttle body. Takes 10 mins to pull it out. If you do it sooner rather than later you can simply wipe it clean with a cloth. Someone will chime in to never pull it off, it's your car. I know mine is clean and in another 15K when I change the fuel filter I know it'll be another easy clean.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
...Glad to hear your keeping on top of it and not taking it to the stealership.
HUSH your mouth! That's a 4 letter... no, an 11 letter word! There are children reading this!

Absolutely, avoid the stealership like the plague.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Nice thread. I changed my fuel filter a while back. Where is the cabin air filter located at? I have like 26k miles and prob. should change mine.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I changed my '06 cabin filter today too. I used a Fram (But NEVER their oil filter) Fresh Breeze (with baking soda), CF10370.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

glad to hear. did you cut your old filter apart? I'm interested in how dirty it was inside
Originally Posted by scorpio333
Not to hijack. Another thing I like to do every 15-20K is clean the throttle body. Takes 10 mins to pull it out. If you do it sooner rather than later you can simply wipe it clean with a cloth. Someone will chime in to never pull it off, it's your car. I know mine is clean and in another 15K when I change the fuel filter I know it'll be another easy clean.
good point. when I pulled my 2006 5.4 3v apart to install the blower, my throttle body was filthy. it took a greenie and lots of alcohol to get the dirt & other crap off.

btw, that was at 23,000 miles and 2.5 yrs. there might be something to these Oil Catch Cans
Old 10-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckydawg003
Nice thread. I changed my fuel filter a while back. Where is the cabin air filter located at? I have like 26k miles and prob. should change mine.
It's behind the battery (at least on the GT) underneath the cowl trim. If you can read the attached jpg, it's clear how easy it is.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced my fuel and cabin air filters today. Comments...-cabin-air-filter-replacement.jpg  
Old 10-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I swap my fuel/cabin filters out at 15k intervals. The first time I depressurized the fuel system, but the last time I just yanked it off w/o even putting the car on ramps lol. It wasn't that bad...just don't do it in an enclosed garage without a large drip pan or you'll be smelling gas for two weeks. Ask me how I know this .

And yeah, it's amazing how FILTHY the cabin filter gets. I always run the AC on recirculate and it's still filthy. I was under the impression that it filtered air pulled into the car when you don't have vent/recirculate activated...

Forgot to add that I also pull the cai and thoroughly spray the MAF with maf cleaner and the throttle body with TB cleaner at these same intervals.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 10-07-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Replaced my fuel and cabin air filters today. Comments...