Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some mod help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:12 PM
jordosilver

Default Need some mod help

I'm new to the forum, and new to the mustang world for that matter. I just turned in a 3 series BMW and picked up a certified preowned 2008 Mustang GT/CS in vista blue. I am absolutely loving it!!!

I'm looking to do some mods, but this world is completely foreign to me. In my research, I'm hearing that I should do a cold air intake first, exhaust second, other exhaust and gear ratios and stuff third, followed by a tune. Does that sound about right???

What cold air intake is most recommended for my model? I've heard a lot about K&N, but thats coming from people w/ a 2004 and below. Is that advice to be trusted? I've read a lot about the K&N, BBK and the Steeda. It appears the Steeda requires a tune.

Exhaust... these 04 and below people are saying Flowmaster. I've read otherwise for the S197. Help here would be appreciated. I don't want something obnoxious, I just want the deep aggressive Mustang sound. I figure I'd start w/ the mufflers and work from there.

What about tuning? Someone told me its the most bang for my buck. is that right.

Needs some help, all. I'd appreciate some input. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:34 PM
66FB06GT
1st Gear Member

Here is a good starting place...

JLT or C&L intake and SCT Tuner.
Email tune from BamaChips.. I highly recommend the 93 Race Tune, but you can read what will work best for you. It is the cheapest and best email tune I have found.

As for the exhaust I would recommend changing the mid-pipes first if you are looking for performance. The mufflers are worth nothing but sound. The mid-pipes give you good sound and performance. I was running stock mufflers until a few weeks ago myself. I really liked them paired with the Pypes O/R H-pipe, but am now switching to long tube headers for more performance.

Hope this helps to get started.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

As far as the tune it has to go with almost every mod you do, if you switch to long tube headers, or CAI or gears, you'll have to do a tune for each mod you do.

So your best bet is to get a CAI and tuner combo, you can find that at bamachips, or brenspeed, or where I got mine from americanmuscle. Bamachips and brenspeed are more famous from reading around. The best one like mentioned above JLT or C&L, K&N doesn't give you more performance than those two, and steeda one is a bit too pricey for me (could be wrong but you don't gain that much more from the steeda one comapred to JLT or C&L)

As far as your exhaust, it was my second mod, I went with the Long Tube headers, I would really recommend an catted x or h pipe (h pipe for you more since you like the deep agreesive sound). As far as the muffler, I would try the L/T headers and new mid pipe with stock muffler, see if you like it, if you want it louder then go on from there. The best headers to get, they're a bit pricey but I went with kooks, absolutely loved them I did some research on them and found out they give the most hp after American Racing, but AR is too pricey.

Gears are defenitely a good mod to add, from what I heard only get FRPP, as far as which one 3.73 or 4.10, if you're mustang is a daily driver car then 3.73 is better saves you a bit on MPG, because I read countless of posts where people couldn't deal with the 4.10 driving on the freeways.

Sorry for long post, hope it helps.