Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBA exhaust throwing Check Engine light codes?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Vankor
1st Gear Member

Default JBA exhaust throwing Check Engine light codes?

Ok, I posted this in another forum and I wanted to get as much feedback on this as possible, so I can know if I should send them back to JBA before they are put on.

Has anyone encountered this? I just called Brenspeed for a tune adjustment and they said "has anyone given you the JBA speech?" and then told me about the fact that they can't retune to adjust for the problem that the JBA's cause.

I decided JBA (long tubes) because no one other than Pypes or Kooks offers a catted H pipe. I don't want an O/R one, and I hate the sound of X pipes. I've heard iffy stuff about the quality of Pypes, and Kooks is a little more than I wanted to spend.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

What is the code you're getting?

I paid the extra money for kooks it was well worth it, very nice set of headers, I heard too many bad things about pypes not worth it. You get what you pay for man.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Whoa!!! Brenspeed gave up on JBA longtubes??? wow... I installed their silly o2 raisers but three weeks later, once I got my emissions sticker, the light came back on. Just disable those ****** till next year. No harm, no foul. Gave me enough freaking headaches....

don't believe the "get what you pay for" bs. JBA's are true longtubes and provide the most gains.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

There is a way around this.. no doubt about it. A polling interval from the front O2's that can be modified in the tune. I know a guy with JBA's and he THINKS that can be modified in the tune to get rear O2's cooperating. For now, if you don't have to get sniffed, purchase the O2 raisers and be done with it. A solution will be formed. It's just a matter of JBA's location of front/rear O2s in their longtubes and midpipe.

Hell, J-B-A should figure it out if they want to sell more exhaust parts!!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:02 PM
DarkJFMan
2nd Gear Member

I never said anything bad about JBA, I think they are very good set of headers, was talking about pypes.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I don't think I said that you did. They just have some inherent problems with O2 location and tuning is a challenge.

Every car is different, every header is different and every midpipe cat function is different.

You can't tune that via mailorder...sorry. You must find a reputable dyno tuner.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Vankor
1st Gear Member

DarkJFMan, I haven't installed them yet so I haven't gotten any codes. They were shipped and after I had called Brenspeed about a new tune, they gave me the lecture.

I still want to install the JBA's because I have heard a lot of good things about them, this is the first negative I heard. So where can you get 02 raisers from? Is it the same thing as an 02 sensor extender? I know I can get those, but will it help? I'm still learning all this stuff.
And I have to get sniffed this year, though not for awhile. So any recommendations to take care of the problem at least for emissions time? And does it throw all sorts of annoying warnings at me while I'm driving or is it ignorable?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:14 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

We don't have to get sniffed here in my county but do have to pass OBDII readiness checks. The O2 raisers are little metal things that screw in between the o2 sensor and bung, raising the sensor out of the exhaust stream. When I reset my codes (P0420/430), the raisers allow the rear o2's to go ready (for some time at least) long enough to pass the OBDII readiness test. I may just need to install a second raiser or replace my cats, not sure yet. I don't have to worry with it for another year and plan to own software/modify tunes myself by that time.

I'm pretty sure if your cats are good you will pass the sniffer, and the O2 raisers will allow you to pass OBDII readiness. I don't plan to toss my JBA lontubes anytime soon .
Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Vankor
1st Gear Member

So what midpipes do you have?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I have a JBA H-pipe thats sprung pinhole leaks in places. I also ran FRPP "hotrod" cams for 2 years that pushed a lot of unburnt fuel through and was probably very hard on the cats. I need to get a new one but hate to spend the $400 if I dont have to.

I'm gathering funding for a vortech v3 and was forced to start upgrading my brakes (pads/rotors) last week due to a pad wearing down unevenly because of a warped rotor. Replaced the rear pads/rotors this weekend and will do the front very soon so this set will wear evenly. that's my money pit right now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JBA exhaust throwing Check Engine light codes?