Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Vinyl stripe install

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:30 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

Default Help! Vinyl stripe install

So a while back I was asking about stripes, and finally got my matte black stripe kit (not precut) started the install, hood and roof went good, no issues, hardly any bubbles. But when I tried to do the trunk I ended up with a TON of creases trying to go around the curves. I tried the other side dry and the didn't help either. I ended up peeling the stripes on the trunk off, and now need to order more vinyl.

Any suggestions/hints/tips to installing the vinyl around the curves/brakelight/gt emble (also, anyone know how to remove the gt placard on the back, and will it go back on?)

Thanks!!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:23 AM
rfm678
1st Gear Member

You said the stripes were NOT pre-cut, so I'm assuming you did all the cutting. Did you try to lay the trunk in one continuous piece? To get a smooth finish on the deck lid you need to lay the stripes in three pieces and hide the seams.

The first piece should cover the the top of the deck and end under the spoiler, the second will go just past the "curve in" of the rear deck, and the last will finish down to the bottom.

It's best to do it wet and over lap the pieces like shingles, the first seam will be hidden by the spoiler and the second under the curve of the rear panel.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 AM
rfm678
1st Gear Member

Missed it when I first read, but he faux gas cap can be removed by unbolting from inside the trunk. I just cut around it when I did my stripes.

Here's a pic, I've added the red arrows where I have it seamed.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 PM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

how much does a non-precut vinyl stripe kit cost? i want to do this
Old 10-20-2009, 12:56 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

@ rfm, I did try to lay it in a continuous piece, it was a mess. I also tried cutting around the faux cap but didn't get anywhere near a perfect cut, I think it would be easier if I removed it. I will definately try cutting it into 3 different strips. As for around the bumper,should I cut the license plate spot before or after applying? (I first tried before but got some creases around where I had cut) I also need to do the front bumper, Should these be laid in one piece, or segments like the trunk? Thanks for the quick reply!

@nmd 50 bucks for 10" kit, another 5 if you want pin stripes. here is the best deal I found
Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 PM
rfm678
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by squawskier1080
@ rfm, I did try to lay it in a continuous piece, it was a mess. I also tried cutting around the faux cap but didn't get anywhere near a perfect cut, I think it would be easier if I removed it. I will definately try cutting it into 3 different strips. As for around the bumper,should I cut the license plate spot before or after applying? (I first tried before but got some creases around where I had cut) I also need to do the front bumper, Should these be laid in one piece, or segments like the trunk? Thanks for the quick reply!
Taking the gas cap off would definitely make life easier. The bumpers were done in one piece, although it did take a little finesse to get it to sit right in the grove (hotter weather helps).

Trying to get an exact cut for the license plate before applying will be very difficult, I used a razor blade (and a very steady hand) after the stripes were laid but before everythign was completely dry to clean up and the edges of the seams and the cutouts. I let the blade do the work as to not scratch the paint, just enough to cut the vinyl. For the larger cuts, get the other areas set correctly and keep the area around cut very wet, then lift the vinyl and use your squeegee as backing for the cut.

It also helps to wrap the squeegee with microfiber and use plenty of liquid when smoothing things out so you don't scratch the stripes.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:13 PM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

If it's hot out you can use soap and water to put them on so that you can slide them around.Then squeegee out the excess water with a plastic squeegee.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

I'll try that, unfortunately its not too warm out now in northern california, would using a blowdryer help?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Black_N_Blown
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by squawskier1080
I'll try that, unfortunately its not too warm out now in northern california, would using a blowdryer help?
A blowdryer will help you even if you dont use water because it will make the vinyl flex easyer making going over the body liners easyer
Old 11-03-2009, 04:28 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

finally got the stripes on, the vinyl sure didn't like the cold weather though. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Help! Vinyl stripe install