Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashcovers: my review

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Default Dashcovers: my review

For a "performance" based Mustang forum site, I realize dashcovers don't fit the theme exactly, but I thought I'd share my purchase for the benefit of those wishing to protect their interior from the "sun" factor.

I didn't want to use "sun shades" (the things which span the length of the windshield and need to be handled/unfolded every time you want to utilize them.)

So after researching the various products, I purchased the "Coverking Molded Carpet Dashboard Cover". This is their "high end" model.

It came with a cutout for the center headlight sensor in the middle of the dash, fits like a glove, and needs no Velcro to stay firmly in place.

It does have Velcro tabs underneath it, and it ships with Velcro strips in case you want to use them -- but I found it not necessary. I didn't want to put any sticky strips of that stuff on my dash -- which is why I went with the molded model.

I've had other Dashcover brands in the past for previous rides (Dashmat, etc.), and I have to say this is the best. The molded form factor really fits nice (after a day of letting it relax straight: they ship it rolled up. And give it a couple days in the sun, it relaxes even more.)

It comes in a variety of colors, and they make a model specifically for the '10 Mustang.

Coverking makes a few dashcover models (fabrics) -- which are:
  • Polycarpet (about $30)
  • Velour (about $35)
  • Molded Carpet (about $52) - which is the one I purchased.
Anyhow, FYI...

Disclaimer: I'm not a Coverking employee, and have no affiliation with them or the selling of their products. I promise.

P.S. For those with a Charcoal Black interior, the "Charcoal" color swatch Coverking displays when ordering is darker than the actual color: the product is basically gray. I called before ordering to get the low down on the colors, because website colors often don't reflect product color. If you order one, I encourage that you call Coverking to get the color information which suits your interior, and NOT rely on the website color swatch.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Pics man, pics!!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 AM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
Pics man, pics!!

Oops -- good point.

It may be somewhat difficult to get a good photo while it is on the dash, but I'll do my best. And I'll at least get a profile photo of it in the vehicle to show the good linear fit.

I'll also get a photo of it solo.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:39 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Here are the pics I promised. Didn't take any solo, thought that would defeat the purpose of showing how well it fits.

Sorry about the reflections.

I slid the edge of the cover -- at the windshield, near the defroster vents -- a bit further than they needed to go, so they're a bit off-center. But those could just as easily be pulled back a notch or two.

Note the molded pattern, particularly seen in the middle area of the dash, came direct from the factory: I didn't need to "mold" it into shape myself at all. Nice.

2 Pictures (Outside View, Inside View)

Outside View:

Inside View:

Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

So if you have the Charcoal Black interior than the cover is either grey or black depedning upon your oder?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:21 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
So if you have the Charcoal Black interior than the cover is either grey or black depedning upon your oder?
Yup, correct. (Unless you're the type to put something non-matching in there, like Beige or Blue... to each their own, I always say.)

But getting back to your question, there are 2 schools of thought on this in my opinion:
  • Either go Gray ("Charcoal", according to Coverking, although it's friggin' gray, if you ask me -- and I'm sure I didn't get the actual Gray they offer, because the model number is on the back) to "lighten" up the interior of the car. It goes very nice with the chrome accents on the front dash, passenger side airbag cover, etc. In a way, it's like how a lighter color carpet in a room gives the place a more "spacious" feeling.
  • Or go Black -- which matches any and every color -- but tends to show specs of lint, dust, or whatever else floats around the inside of your car. I know all too well, because the last 2 dashcovers I had were black, and I decided to go lighter in color this time.
The one thing about the molded carpet model from Coverking is that, compared to other models (and maufacturers), there are a limited number of colors to choose from. But the molded Form Factor trumped everything in the end, and for me, I am completely satisfied with how it looks -- color and fit.

Man, I'm trying not sound like a sales guy for this product. Again, this is a review, and it is probably a bit biased now that I have the product and am so happy with it.

Last edited by 7up; 10-21-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTPony
Man, I'm trying not sound like a sales guy for this product. Again, this is a review, and it is probably a bit biased now that I have the product and am so happy with it.
No worries bro, this is a great thread for anyone seeking a dash cover! Thanks a lot for the pics - as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

The pics look really good. Thanks for the opinion on the color also. I have never had a dash cover but was considering for this car because I also don't want to mess with the window shade thing like in my truck.

It really forms nice to the dash based on the pics. Since you didn't put the velcro in place, how will it stay on the dash during a clutch dump and 1>2 power shift?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 AM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
... a picture is worth a thousand words.
Couldn't agree more.

... It really forms nice to the dash based on the pics. Since you didn't put the velcro in place, how will it stay on the dash during a clutch dump and 1>2 power shift?
I hear ya...

I didn't believe the 'no velcro' claim they made until I actually slapped it into my ride. Maybe for some other makes/models you'd need the velcro, but you won't find it necessary with the '10 Mustang.

Just lay it on the dash, give a slight nudge to tuck it into the narrow areas around the windshield and sides, and you're set. It won't budge even under the conditions you described above.

I still have some sun shades from years ago, and while they do the trick just the same, dashcovers are a "hands off, no effort required" method when leaving the car.

By the way, just to add a bit of info regarding the headlight sensor cutout:

The center cutout for the headlight sensor has the sensor sitting a bit low. But I don't use that feature in my car; I turn the headlights on/off manually -- I don't feel comfortable leaving it in the auto position. Maybe someday I'll start using it, but I'm old school -- and like to feel in control.

Anyway, the sensor does peek above the cutout, but as you'd expect -- the thickness of the dashcover surrounds it. Point being, I have not tested it with the light sensor since I don't use it. FYI.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

FastDEW (et al) --

To get a better idea of the color of Coverking's "Charcoal" in their Molded Carpet Dashcover model, I realized you need only look at the rear deck carpet!

It is basically a match for match. I can hardly, if at all, see a difference. The rear deck carpet MIGHT (and that's a big might) be a "half-shade" darker, but hardly -- and may match in kind because it was hard to match it up by eyesight side by side with all the glare and sun.

So in the end, again, I believe Coverking's Charcoal is a nice interior match for the Charcoal Black of Ford's 2010 Mustang.

Picture of rear deck carpet:

P.S. Off topic: Let's hear it for the unexpected root canal day!! Right after this picture, and a routine DDS cleaning, I found myself enjoying the sharp end of a dental needle, hours in a DDS chair, and lots of drilling. Woohoo!

Quick Reply: Dashcovers: my review