Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Tranny Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 AM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

Default Automatic Tranny Cooler

While at a track day this past weekend my car began throwing codes for the transmission going over temperature. I run a 91 race tune from Bamachips so when it shifts it shifts hard. Has anyone ever installed an aftermarket transmission fluid cooler on their cars? Any tips on how to get the temps down while keeping the tune I have?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmssch89
While at a track day this past weekend my car began throwing codes for the transmission going over temperature. I run a 91 race tune from Bamachips so when it shifts it shifts hard. Has anyone ever installed an aftermarket transmission fluid cooler on their cars? Any tips on how to get the temps down while keeping the tune I have?
Are you using a good quality synthetic ATF yet? Good performing synthetic ATF can reduce temps quite a bit and make the hassle of installing a transmission cooler unnecessary. I use AMSOIL synthetic ATF and it has always done a great job.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx
Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

From your mods in your sig you should not be having this problem. The excessive heat is a warning sign imho... Cooling it is not going to solve your problem, you are beating on that thing man. Dial it back or start saving up for a new tranny.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:00 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

It's not like I was being extremely rough on it. A little, yes, but it's a racetrack. Just a lot of high rpms and downshifting for a period of 20 mins seems to really build up the heat. It was fairly consistent too. I could drive about 15 mins before the O/D light started to flash, after which I would pull off to the pits and it would cool enough to stop the light within a minute. The only code my SCT could pick up was the one for overheating. And out of all the mustangs there I was the only auto, so I couldn't really ask for advice.

I'm going to be changing the stock fluid soon anyway to the Royal Purple Max ATF. We'll see if that does any better next month when I track the car again.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

It's not like I was being extremely rough on it. A little, yes, but it's a racetrack. Just a lot of high rpms and downshifting for a period of 20 mins seems to really build up the heat. It was fairly consistent too. I could drive about 15 mins before the O/D light started to flash, after which I would pull off to the pits and it would cool enough to stop the light within a minute. The only code my SCT could pick up was the one for overheating. And out of all the mustangs there I was the only auto, so I couldn't really ask for advice.

I'm going to be changing the stock fluid soon anyway to the Royal Purple Max ATF. We'll see if that does any better next month when I track the car again.
Since trannys cost a fortune may I suggest:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/transmission.php

I would spent the 30 bucks and find out what is going on. I willing to bet new fluid won't help one ounce. Are you manually shifting your auto?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:07 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

I just put it in drive, O/D off, and let it do it's thing.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

With Amsoil being first on the market way back in 1980 with the worlds first synthetic ATF, I personally think it is a much better ATF and probably costs less than RP too. Check into it.

Here's a link to their product chronology/timeline. Impressive.

http://www.amsoil.com/timeline.aspx
Old 11-02-2009, 04:07 PM
rmssch89
2nd Gear Member

How many quarts of fluid does the tranny take? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

How many quarts of fluid does the tranny take? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
The free online product application guide that Amsoil has, (yet something else RP doesn't offer), lists 11.9 quarts for your transmission. The link is below and you can use it to find the recommended viscosity, capacities and even torque spec's for any car -

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...FORD+MUSTANG+H
Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 AM
fosman77
2nd Gear Member

Default PA Trans Pan

Why don't You insstall a PA Trans Pan? It holds four extra quarts and has a dipstick. It is aluminum and will dissipate heat much beter.
Attached Thumbnails Automatic Tranny Cooler-trans-pan-final-3-.jpg   Automatic Tranny Cooler-trans-pan-final-2-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Automatic Tranny Cooler