Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:47 PM
NJMustangGT
1st Gear Member

Default Need help with gauges

I am getting a supercharger soon and i wasnt sure on what gauges to get. i was thinking of getting 2. Air/Fuel and Boost. what do you think? And what is the difference between electric and mechanical gauges? what should i get?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:13 PM
MTAS
2nd Gear Member

vac/boost, water temp and oil pressure. Do not rely on the factory "gauges" for water temp and oil pressure in any way, especially if you're boosted.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 PM
graygt07
2nd Gear Member

i have air/fuel(mech.) and boost (cobalt boost gauges color will closely match the blue dash color
Old 11-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

I would get at least 1 Aeroforce gauge as they are very flexible and would allow you measure multiple inputs including less important things like boost (using an additional sensor). But I would recommend a good AF gauge like an Innovate 3781.

I am running dual Aeroforce gauges measuring boost directly off the SC built-in MAP using one of the analog inputs. And plan to add an Innovate AF this winter.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:06 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJMustangGT
I am getting a supercharger soon and i wasnt sure on what gauges to get. i was thinking of getting 2. Air/Fuel and Boost. what do you think? And what is the difference between electric and mechanical gauges? what should i get?

those 2 gauges are good. get the A/F wide band, and boost mechanical. i have those 2 and an electric fuel pressure.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

The single most important gauge is the wideband air/fuel. After that, I'd say a fuel pressure gauge is a must. Oil pressure is a good choice as well, but not as critical as fuel pressure. With forced induction, the worst thing that could happen would be a bad air/fuel mixture. I wouldn't really say water temp is a must, because the S197 has a fair amount of safety nets if you start to overheat, but some people prefer to have one for added security. Believe it or not, the least important gauge is the boost gauge, but what fun is boost if you can't see it happening? Lol.

I have an autometer wideband, fuel pressure and boost gauge.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:17 AM
NJMustangGT
1st Gear Member

So an Air/Fuel, Boost and Fuel Gauge??
Old 11-25-2009, 03:41 PM
partapgti

if you get Aeroforce gauge then you don't need fuel press or the air fuel. Both of those are in the pcm which can be displayed on the aeroforce gauge. Boost gauge is good to have in case you have any leaks (gasket leaks). You shouldn't be worried about air fuel if you go to a good tuner. Most of the time the car is in closed loop(when not racing) and if your tuner is good your air fuel ratio will be safe in open loop aswell.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by partapgti
if you get Aeroforce gauge then you don't need fuel press or the air fuel. Both of those are in the pcm which can be displayed on the aeroforce gauge. Boost gauge is good to have in case you have any leaks (gasket leaks). You shouldn't be worried about air fuel if you go to a good tuner. Most of the time the car is in closed loop(when not racing) and if your tuner is good your air fuel ratio will be safe in open loop aswell.
How can you see AF's with the Aeroforce via the PCM?? Which parameter do you use??

Last edited by Doogie65; 11-25-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJMustangGT
So an Air/Fuel, Boost and Fuel Gauge??
those 3 get my vote!

Quick Reply: Need help with gauges