Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gear question for automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:43 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Default gear question for automatic

So everyone talk about getting 410 for manual and 373 automatics. I have an 07gt automatic and i want to get 410 this spring but was wondering why people say this. Is there a traction problem when u have 410 in an automatic from a stop. i would really like to hear from people that have 410 in an automatic to give me there thoughts. pros and cons from anyone really would be great thanks to all
Old 12-05-2009, 11:02 PM
LegendLives
4th Gear Member

I am waiting for the shop to call me on my 3.73 gear install, I dont have any data or feedback for ya yet. Im sure plenty others will. I hadnt heard any issues.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

The gear ratios in our auto transmissions are different from a manual's transmission. IIRC, first gear in a manual is 3.38 and 3.22 in an auto. This simply means putting 4.10's on both transmissions will give different results. Some complain that the 4.10's are too short and you quickly run out of gear. You will also loose top speed. I think 3:90's in an auto are almost identical to 4:10's in a manual.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

it's all about the gearing...and the fact that the Stall Converter in an Auto sucks up a little performance.

by going with a deeper gearset, you can slightly negate the stall converter. and it's also the basic gearing as described above by Jersey Stang. The Tranny itself has higher gears. putter the deeper gears (4.10) in the axle will really help things out.

If you drive mostly city, I personally would run 4.30 gears....and wide rear tires. But if you do any appreciable highway driving, the 4.10 gears will really be your best compromise. Still decent highway MPG, but a kick in the behind off the line
Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

I have been using 4.10s in my 05 GT Automatic for two years and really like them. You get a real seat of the pants acceleration from the lower gears. For me I think 3.73s would have been a disappointment for the expense and effort invested.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
it's all about the gearing...and the fact that the Stall Converter in an Auto sucks up a little performance.

by going with a deeper gearset, you can slightly negate the stall converter. and it's also the basic gearing as described above by Jersey Stang. The Tranny itself has higher gears. putter the deeper gears (4.10) in the axle will really help things out.

If you drive mostly city, I personally would run 4.30 gears....and wide rear tires. But if you do any appreciable highway driving, the 4.10 gears will really be your best compromise. Still decent highway MPG, but a kick in the behind off the line

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it. I really dont drive my car much in town. A little bit. i work out of town for three weeks on and two weeks off. I use the car at the track a couple of times a year and then for vacationing and thats it. Sounds like a better stall converter could be in the near future
Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Casey4s
I have been using 4.10s in my 05 GT Automatic for two years and really like them. You get a real seat of the pants acceleration from the lower gears. For me I think 3.73s would have been a disappointment for the expense and effort invested.

Sounds great and thats what im looking for in my car is that taste of quickness that my dad always braggs about when he was a kid. U ever go to the track with ur car. IF so do u have to roll the throttle down when taking off.

thanks for the comment
Old 12-06-2009, 10:35 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
The gear ratios in our auto transmissions are different from a manual's transmission. IIRC, first gear in a manual is 3.38 and 3.22 in an auto. This simply means putting 4.10's on both transmissions will give different results. Some complain that the 4.10's are too short and you quickly run out of gear. You will also loose top speed. I think 3:90's in an auto are almost identical to 4:10's in a manual.
Thanks for the insight and helping me to understand. IM not worried about top end speed just some umph in the 1,2, and 3 gears
Old 12-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
+1 with the new gearing in the 5speed auto, Ford was able to get comparable 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times. First gear in the auto is shorter than 1st in the manual and with 4.10 will be completely useless IMO. I would't recommend above 3.90 for an S197 Auto.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:19 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

3.73, with a good tune will give you a lot of "umph," you would be surprised in the difference from the stock to 3.73

Quick Reply: gear question for automatic