Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-16-2015, 11:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Severe Winter Driving....no problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 PM
wbk_viper
1st Gear Member

Default Severe Winter Driving....no problem!

I just bought a 2006 GT and was really worried about winter. In Utah they can get quite bad, and I live on a mountain side where snow can get pretty deep.

Yesterday it snowed and the morning commute was really nasty. There was 5 inches on the ground where I live, and lower elevations it was 2-3.

The plows had been around in some areas, but snow was piled up here and there and no pavement was to be seen, even where the plows had been....ALL snow covered.

I put Micheline X-ice on my car with the stock 17ers and 180lbs in the rear. And I had no problems what so ever. It drove as good as any front wheel car I've ever had and gripped fine when I needed it.

Obviously snow driving requires care, and I was really careful, but no spinouts, no sliding, no fishtailing....nada. I tried to slide out my rear on purpose on my residential street just to see what I was in for.....yeah if you add too much power the rear can go, but with the X-ice tires it corrected swiftly and gripped snow on the road quick.

I'm not saying I enjoyed the drive....I'm much more confident. I don't think it would have driven through 5-6 inches real well, but 2-3.....no problem.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 PM
NatDaBrat

We got hit with a severe storm overnight and all day today and had at least 5 inches of snow on the road (not plowed yet). I had to move my car out of the driveway and once I stopped on the road I got stuck and had to be pushed out, but once I got going the car held well, drove around the block and back into the driveway no problem. I'm going to put a couple bundles of shingles in the trunk for weight, and that should make a world of difference.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:55 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

that is good to hear, I also got hit by the same storm, I am in utah too. however my mustang is nice shiny and clean in the garage, with weather like this, its 4x4 dodge ram time
Old 12-09-2009, 10:00 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I wiped out on black ice after the first snow of the year, I wasn't as lucky. So putting weight in the rear is the secret huh?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

So I hear. That and snow tires. We're expecting a few inches today and tomorrow so we'll see how I do on both commutes with 4 Blizzaks and 100lbs of salt bags in the trunk. And this is before the REAL bad stuff hits (we get snow by the foot here).
Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Yup I was driving the morning in Chicago in the snow, with my blizzaks no problem at all, not to bad for a 500hp car.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:20 AM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

I wish I had $201 a pop for winter tires. I didn't do too bad the last three winters, so we'll see. How much weight should be good in the rear?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

1st rule of snow driving with a rear wheel drive car.. Momentum. Once you get going, you keep going. 150 lbs. of QuikCrete doesn't hurt either.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:35 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

We got about 4" up here in New England and it made for a rough morning commute. But my Dunlop Wintersports helped get me through.
I will add some weight to the rear as I found myself slipping just a bit....
Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Here's a question that's somewhat related to this...what do you do if you park on a hill and don't want the car to slide down it? Any recommendations for things to put behind your tires to help with that? A speed bump would be best, but something less permanent like a wood block would be nice. My driveway's on a slope at home and I don't want to wake up in the morning to find that the car slid down it. (happened with my wife's Jetta once or twice, but not my old Mustang or Sebring - I don't really want to risk it with the new car though)

Quick Reply: Severe Winter Driving....no problem!