Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parrot Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:06 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Default Parrot Install

Anybody installed one of these that had a Shaker 500?
http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-MKi9200...0394778&sr=8-1

Wasn't thinking it would be that bad but when I called Crutchfield to talk to them about a harness they said that there wasn't one and that the install would be very hard because of the shaker system and its amps.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Try going to a local Audio Video shop that specializes in car audio. They may be able to fabricate one.
If you go out this way, there is Go-Ho Audio and Ocean Audio Video. I would recommend the second one. Those guys are awesome!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

I put a Parrot CK3100 in my Mustang, with the Shaker 500. I don't recall any trouble. Make sure your radio has the little phone/mute switch on the front. IF you have that button, you don't have to rewire all the speaker/amp wires. IF I recall, I bought separately a wire harness that allowed me to plug right in to the Aux/mute input on the back.

I love the Parrot, works great with the Shaker500 and my iPhone. In fact with the new iPhone it's almost like having SYNC in the car, because the phone has similar voice command software. The only thing that bugs me is that the radio MUST be ON when a call comes in, if it's off you can't hear the call, and can't turn the radio/Vol up because the system goes into AUX mode.
It's not that big a deal, I just leave the radio on, and turn the volume down if I'm not listening to it.

You'll need this harness. $49
Hope this link works:

http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/...ind.php?id=176
Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Appreciate the info Wes. The link sort of works. it doesn't show the actual harness but I imagine that you are talking about the "The Late Model Ford Harness QCExp-1MK for MK Kits". So is this the only other thing you bought to install? So it was basically plug n play so to speak?
Old 12-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Yep that's it, just match your car/year/shaker radio info on the left and it will pop up the harness you need. It was plug and play. I guess the hardest part was disassembling the dash, and that was more tedious than hard.

Parrot recommends you mount the control unit "the Brain" of the system away from the radio, but I just zip-tied mine on the driver side metal frame piece in the middle console. It's hidden and works/sounds great.

My car doesn't have the Mycolor option to there are no buttons on above the radio on the left side. I popped out the filler buttons and mounted the screen there. I think it looks pretty good, easy reach from divers position. I'll try to get a pic later.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

How did you mount it?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

The LCD screen/controller is mounted above the radio on the left. I used some kind of "super" velcrow, I drilled a small hole in the knockout button pannel to route the cable through the console.

If your wondering, the cable on the right side is for my iPod. I installed a headphone jack that connects to another adaptor that routes to the AUX input on the Shaker500.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:45 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Looks very nice appreciate the help still kind of worried bc I assume you got the QCFCSS-2P harness and if you look under that on the sit it says the following:

"If you are installing a Parrot MKi 9000, 9100 or 9200 please select "Non-amplified vehicles" at left and order the QCExp-1 harness even if you have an amplified car. For other Parrot models, this harness is preferable if you have an amplified car (Mach, Shaker, etc) and/or Navigation."

So not sure if the new harness/new MK series will match up with Shaker
Old 12-12-2009, 03:30 AM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Your right about me getting the QCFCSS-2P. It looks to me like one difference is the RCA jacks that are part of the QCExp-1 harness.

My guess is, my Parrot 3100 just works for phone calls, but the 9200 Parrot adds the Music/Audio option, and probably connects to the AUX input when streaming music, then switches to the phone input during a call.

IF I remember, there were 2 different ways the Parrot install diagram offered to hook up to the shaker radio. One option was to connect directly to the phone/AUX input of the radio and let the Shaker500 switch between sources when it detected the proper signal from the Parrot sending unit. (This is what the wire harness I'm using does) There is no interruption in the wires that feed out to the Amps/speakers.

Option 2 involved interfacing all the speaker output wires with the Parrot "black Box" and from there out to the Amp/Speakers. In this configuration the Parrot box would do the switching between calls and stereo system.

I think you'll be ok with the recommended harness. I haven't seen the Parrot 9200 unit, but if it can stream music, it would reason that it will interface with RCA connectors and then into the AUX input on the Shaker radio. The QCExp-1MK for MK Kits harness probably just passes the signals to the Amps/Speakers with out interruption, and only provides signal to the AUX and Phone Mute inputs.

I guess you could always call Quick Connect and check with one of their techs.
Good Luck, I hope it works out for you, I've been very happy with my system.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:08 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

here is what supposively comes in the instructions:

"Note: You will not be using the harness supplied in the Parrot 3200/3400/MK/MKi box as the enclosed harness replaces it entirely. Simply plug in the black 24 pin connector into the blue box of the Parrot. Remove one gray connector from the back of the radio and plug our corresponding gray connector in the back of the radio. Then plug the removed factory harness plug into our harness (as if adding an extension cord to the original plug). You can optionally use the 2 supplied female RCA phono plugs for music AUX IN for car stereos with an auxiliary input. If you use the RCA phono plugs, you must switch off the “mute on music streaming” setting in the Parrot MKi kit menu."

So from what I can tell if you hook up the RCA connectors then they have an interface for the music that is connected like an ipod