Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Default Heater

Anybody else notice how outstanding the heater is on the 2010? (And perhaps earlier models since they also have the 4.6).

My car sleeps in a heated garage at night but other cars I've had took several minutes to start blowing hot air. This car starts blowing heat two blocks from my house, literally about a minute.

Yesterday, ambient temp was 36 degrees when I went out at lunch and the car had been sitting in a covered, unheated garage for 5 hours (i.e. it was cold!). I had nice heat in less than two minutes.

Bravo, Ford!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 AM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Anybody else notice how outstanding the heater is on the 2010? (And perhaps earlier models since they also have the 4.6).

+1 ^^ Mr. W-Dog.

Also, I've noticed the front windshield defroster works amazingly well & fast.

Last edited by 7up; 12-10-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:02 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Wow, pony. 89 views and only your response. I guess we've got the only quick heaters.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Actually, not to go off on a tangent, but I have noticed V8 and V6 take a little longer to heat up than 4cyl. When I had my Accord it would heat up while idling in the garage. I always give my cars a minute to warm up (the engine) before I pull out and the heat would be really hot on the Accord. This 4.0 and my V8 truck take a little longer. Why? I don't know. Maybe more mass to dissipate heat, the way the block circulates the water, I dunno. Of coarse that doesn't mean that I prefer the 4 banger, just making an observation and keeping your thread alive.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
Actually, not to go off on a tangent, but I have noticed V8 and V6 take a little longer to heat up than 4cyl. ... Maybe more mass to dissipate heat, ...

That'd be my take.

The bigger the engine, the more metal (aluminum/steel/alloys) there is absorb the heat; consequently, there is less initial heat transfer to the passenger cabin.

Automotive engineers (and other related type engineers) would be able to give you a more definitive answer on this though.

Last edited by 7up; 12-10-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
joekr
1st Gear Member

It was blistering cold the last 2 mornings here in KC and +1 on the heater. It kicks in fast as hell.

KC is great but 8 degrees? TOO COLD!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:03 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

My V6 heats up quick too. It was very nice to have this morning/afternoon too!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:45 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
Actually, not to go off on a tangent, but I have noticed V8 and V6 take a little longer to heat up than 4cyl. When I had my Accord it would heat up while idling in the garage. I always give my cars a minute to warm up (the engine) before I pull out and the heat would be really hot on the Accord. This 4.0 and my V8 truck take a little longer. Why? I don't know. Maybe more mass to dissipate heat, the way the block circulates the water, I dunno. Of coarse that doesn't mean that I prefer the 4 banger, just making an observation and keeping your thread alive.
It is the combination of engine size and the material. Your Honda was likely all aluminum engine (heads and block) which will transfer heat more quickly than an iron block engine. Your V6 Stang and the likely the truck are iron block.

You will find that the 4.6 will heat a little faster than the 4.0 - this is because both engines are very close in size but the 4.6 is all aluminum and will transfer heat more quickly.

If you want a SLOW heater, try any diesel engine. Diesels do not make heat well and they will have a PTC (electric strip) heater in the heating duct to help boost the heat when it is first started or very cold. In fact a diesel will idle its way to totally cold if left a while. Even the T-Stat wont keep an idled diesel hot. This is why you see semi trucks with radiator covers and why they have idle control systems to raise the engine RPM during extended idle periods.

Okay, I know - Too much info - But I am done now
Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
We have heaters?!?!? Never used it. I even have seat heaters that I don't use.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:49 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
We have heaters?!?!? Never used it. I even have seat heaters that I don't use.
Now, that's just mean...

Quick Reply: Heater