Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT SF3 help: Doesn't recognize '10 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT SF3 help: Doesn't recognize '10 Mustang

This pertains only to 2010 owners, I'd imagine.

A newly purchased SCT SF3 tuner (model 3015); no custom tunes on it, other than what came stock from SCT.

I hook it up to the OBDII port.

When attempting to enter Program Vehicle mode, it gives a not supported error:

ECU UNSUPPORTED
  • I've updated to the latest firmware.
  • I've updated to the latest tune files from SCT's website -- which is stated to provide support for the '10 M.Y.
I've RTFM. I've searched SCT's website. I've searched the forums here. I've done the Google search.

Any insight?

Last edited by 7up; 01-10-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

I just got my set up from Bamachips, but im not going to be able to verify much since the tunes that were sent in the programmer are too high of an octane. But, I can tell you that I received the advanced model 3000, not the 3015.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I SUSPECT that the unit is not unlocked for your PCM. I'm not familiar with the SF3 but I thought the canned SCT tune would allow you to get in. Based on the on-screen info you posted above, it appears it needs to be progrtammed to your PCM code like all of the other tuners when loaded with custom tunes.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:48 AM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I SUSPECT that the unit is not unlocked for your PCM.

Somewhere, in the past while researching tuner devices, I read of something like this. But as you said, you'd think I'd be able to get into it "out of the box".

Ah well, it WILL get solved; I may just have to wait until Monday.

Last edited by 7up; 01-10-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 AM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Issue has been solved

The off-the-shelf units, at the moment -- even after downloading the latest tune updates from their website -- don't support the factory tune strategy in my vehicle's ECU (thus the unsupported message.)

So SCT email'd me a mini-update. I refreshed my device with it. And all is well: I can get into my ECU now.

Last edited by 7up; 01-10-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Anxiously waiting for your review of the SCT!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:49 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I have the Xcal 3, it's cool, adjust tire size, timing and so on, but I let me tuner play with timing one, but it's sort of friendy.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:49 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT SF3 Flash Device: Cursory review of select features

Along with what GTJT2010 said, the XCal3 and SF3 are probably very similar. I didn't really look into the Xcal3.

I'll have to write up a review when they fully update the tune for my ECU.

I'm not fully sure, but I think I was just given a small piece of code which opened up the ECU for me, allowing me to make the user adjustable options (I did need to make one, hence my original cry for help) -- so a tune may not be even possible now. But plenty of user adjustable options are.

And I'm sure there are many other folks on this board who have this SCT SF3 tuner and can chime in with their comments and reviews.

Minor Nits so far:
  • The membrane keypad on it is clumsy - but it seems most tuners are built that way - so no biggy. Probably built that way to keep greasy hands from gunking up the unit.
  • The documentation is painfully out of date. The website's documentation on this model is out of date, too.
But their tech/engineers were quick to respond this morning to my unsupported issue -- nice.

It's a fairly durable piece of equipment -- hard plastic, which is able to be dropped and survive. It has a very beefy connection cord and connector to the OBDII port. A nice blacklit screen, too. No batteries (as are most tuners I'm guessing: this is my first one) - runs off either the OBDII supplied power, or the USB connection power when wired up to your laptop/desktop.

Unless you're connected up to the OBDII port, you can't see the user adjustable options.

So today, I sat down in my vehicle with the device and copied/transcribed the user adjustable settings --which are no doubt common among many brands of tuners:

Tune v1.3.4, released 11/May/2010:
  • Fuel Octane
    • 87, 91, 93
  • Fuel Injector
    • Stock
    • 30lb
    • 42lb
  • Rear 02s
    • On
    • Off
  • CMCV Delete
    • Stock
    • Delete
  • Intake Airbox
    • Stock
    • CL CAI
    • JLT CAI
    • JLT 110mm CAI
    • Steeda
  • Traction Control
    • Normal
    • Off
  • Spark 0-2000
    • -14°
    • -12°
    • -10°
    • -8°
    • -6°
    • -4°
    • -2°
    • 2°
    • 4°
  • Spark 2000-4000
    • -8°
    • -7°
    • -6°
    • -5°
    • -4°
    • -3°
    • -2°
    • -1°
    • 1°
    • 2°
    • 3°
    • 4°
  • Spark 4000-8000
    • -8°
    • -7°
    • -6°
    • -5°
    • -4°
    • -3°
    • -2°
    • -1°
    • 1°
    • 2°
  • WOT Air/Fuel
    • 6.0 leaner
    • 4.0 leaner
    • 2.0 leaner
    • 0.0 richer
    • 2.0 richer
    • 4.0 richer
    • 6.0 richer
    • 8.0 richer
    • 10.0 richer
    • 12.0 richer
    • 14.0 richer
  • Axle Ratio
    • [many to choose from]
  • Tire Revs/Mile
    • [many to choose from]
  • Speed Limit
    • [20mph to 125mph]
    • Off
  • Rev Limit Drv
    • 5800 - 7800 RPMs
  • Rev Limit Neu
    • 2500 - 7800 RPMs
  • Idle Speed Drv
    • 540 - 1340 RPMs
  • Idle Speed Neu
    • 540 - 1340 RPMs
  • Low Speed Fan
    • 170°F to 230°F
  • High Speed Fan
    • 180°F to 240°F
These seem like fairly vanilla type settings -- so I understand if there's nothing new here for people to see who are already familiar with tuners (which is lots of folks around these parts.)

There's also a data logging feature where many parameters can be monitored. I did a sample ride, and the data collected is plentiful. Unfortunately, much of it is eye candy for me, as I'm not doing anything with it at the moment. But the SCT LiveLink software, which you download onto your computer, is pretty straightforward -- and what's better is that you can export the data to a comma delimited file (*.csv) -- so it is MS Excel (or similar spreadsheet) friendly. From there, you can make any/every type of graph, pie chart, or however you want represent your data.

As I mentioned, they said in the upcoming weeks (or about a month), there will be a newer tune for this unit, and it will have embedded support for my ECU. The current SCT canned tune download is dated 08-06-2009, so when that one is updated -- I'll do another overview if warranted. *

(Moderators: If this info/thread is better served in a different forum section, have at it. I started it here because I had an issue with my M.Y. '10 and the tuner.)

* Tune updated as of 11/May/2010. Documentation updates are also lagging due to heavier than expected workloads.

Last edited by 7up; 05-13-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Updated the list of User Adjustable Options / Data logging feature mini-review / Embedded Tune Update Info
Old 12-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Loco73

Same issue here, except with a 2011 GT. I purchased a brand new SCT tuner from Steeda along with the Steeda CAI. Bolted on some Borla S axle backs and plug in my SCT SF3 Tuner after I confirm the latest Firmware, tuner revision, and installed the auto update only to get a

ECU Unsupported Vehicle Code FPDM3AA

Of course, SCT is on vacation until 3 Jan, with limited online support. Steeda is gone for the day.

Initial instructions were to use the strategy tune SCT installs for Steeda and I would be good to go. Yeah right....

Anybody know what I can do here?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:23 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

i could be wromg but I thought '10 and '11 used x3 not SF3, not 100% but thought SF3 was for PRE--'10 models?

Quick Reply: SCT SF3 help: Doesn't recognize '10 Mustang