Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:51 PM
EpicTrifecta

Default Is this true?

So Im planning on getting a mustang, and today I was told by somebody to not get the mustang I wanted. The mustang is an 06 gt with 13k miles on it and is on a used car lot. I was told that this car was probably auctioned to the dealer ship for like 8 grand. They are asking 17.9, the reason they received the car was because the ford dealerships did not want the car because something was mechanically wrong with it. Basically I was told not to get this car because as soon as i drive off the lot the something major is gonna break and im gonna be SOL. I mean is this true? Do they actually do this with vehicles? I have test drove the car twice, was planning on taking it to a ford dealership to have inspected. Right now Im just kind of detered from any non ford dealership vehicle.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2009, 01:40 PM
rcturner

Cars are purchased by dealers and put on lots for sale all of the time. If they are a good dealer, they will stand behind the car for several months or many miles. If it has a bad history, they don't want to sell it to you anymore than you would want to buy it. It just isn't worth it to them. If you like it, it works well and your mechanic doesn't see any problems, buy it. Just make sure you get some kind of warranty on it.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Carfax it. Cheapo insurance against something stupid wrong with it. I bought an 06 with just 24k miles on it. Don't let it scare you.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:46 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by EpicTrifecta
I was told
Whom told you this and what part do they have in your purchase?
Old 12-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First of all, an '06 GT in cherry condition, basically stock, shouldn't fetch more than $15,000. And if there's anything mechanically wrong with it, well, I wouldn't even touch it. If you've researched, there are a # of TSB associated wiht the S197 and some are chronic and Ford even has issues with the fix (i.e., water leak). But unless it's something besides the TSB item's, you might be able to get the price down and wind up with a decent ride. You need someone that knows these cars to look it over for you.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:04 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Not all cars come from auctions. There are people that do trade in their vehicles. If the car is a problem child, the dealership will usually sent it to the auction. If it is something good and they are willing to standby it, they keep it on their lot. Did you go to a large dealership? If this was some small corner shop, I would be more leery since that is where they get their cars from, the auction. On what basis did that somebody tell you not to pick that particular mustang? You can carfax it also, but do keep in mind carfax only collects info that has been report through insurance or through service records. You still need to inspect the vehicle, look at everything, very carefully. Like the usual, match up all the lines in the car, if something is off, it may have been possibly in an accident. Check the pedal covers, the tires, if they seem much worn out than what the mileage tells you, that raises a flag.. If you have any friends or family members that are knowledgeable about cars, you should take them along. Don't forget you can ALWAYS barter the price. Don't buy at sticker.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:16 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
First of all, an '06 GT in cherry condition, basically stock, shouldn't fetch more than $15,000. And if there's anything mechanically wrong with it, well, I wouldn't even touch it. If you've researched, there are a # of TSB associated wiht the S197 and some are chronic and Ford even has issues with the fix (i.e., water leak). But unless it's something besides the TSB item's, you might be able to get the price down and wind up with a decent ride. You need someone that knows these cars to look it over for you.
Not to derail this thread, but how good are 2008's as far as TSBs go? I haven't come across a lot of them for that model year.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Not everyone lives in KY. I paid17.2 for mine 6 months ago. Blue book was more than this at the time...

Not everyone get the cheapo prices. Depends on where you're at it the country.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:19 PM
MR_Q
1st Gear Member

I could be wrong about this, but I am under the impression that once a cars lease is up, it goes back to Ford, and they put it up for auction. Its from that auction that both Ford dealers AND used car lots get their used cars. I bought my Mustang from a used car lot that had no affiliation with Ford, and he told me thats how he gets his cars. I also had the local Ford dealer go through the Ford auction offerings to see if there was anything I was interested in. If I had found one I liked, they would have got it for me.

So I doubt that the Mustang you're interested in is any more or less likely to have issues than if it was on a Ford lot. I think Ford even inspects all the cars prior to putting them up for auction (I have no facts to back that up).

I highly doubt it was sold to the lot for 8 grand and they're asking 18K. It wouldn't be marked up THAT high.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by satur9poet
Not to derail this thread, but how good are 2008's as far as TSBs go? I haven't come across a lot of them for that model year.

I've only had one or two TSB repairs done if I recall correctly. One has to do with the seatbelt or airbag, and I think the other had to do with cruise control, but I could be wrong about that. I take it to the dealership all the time for my scheduled maintenance needs and they have always informed me whether they had to do a TSB repair. Next scheduled maintenance for me is at 22,500, and I'm going to hit 20,000 in about 2 more fill-ups of gas.

Quick Reply: Is this true?