Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYNC to support mobile wifi

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Default SYNC to support mobile wifi

From the sound of this press release wording, it sounds like it will just take an upcoming SYNC update to allow the use of mobile aircards to turn the stang into a mobile hot spot. Neato, I like features added to a product I already paid for!

FORD SYNC GOES WIFI TURNING CAR INTO MOBILE INTERNET HOT SPOT FOR PASSENGERS WHILE ON THE GO

* Next-generation SYNC® system to incorporate in-car WiFi system powered by customer's USB mobile broadband modem, turning entire car into hot spot

* New capability will be standard on select SYNC-equipped vehicles with no additional hardware or subscriptions required beyond the user-supplied mobile broadband modem

* Standard WiFi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) security protocols will be in force, and only owner-permitted devices will be able to access the network, helping ensure secure, robust connectivity for in-car users

DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 21, 2009 – Ford Motor Company will turn vehicles into rolling
WiFi hot spots when it introduces the second generation of its popular SYNC® in-car connectivity system next year.

Inserting an owner's compatible USB mobile broadband modem – sometimes called an "air card" – into SYNC's USB port will produce a secure wireless connection that will be broadcast throughout the vehicle, allowing passengers with WiFi-enabled mobile devices to access the Internet anywhere the broadband modem receives connectivity.

"While you're driving to grandma's house, your spouse can be finishing the holiday shopping and the kids can be chatting with friends and updating their Facebook profiles," said Mark Fields, Ford president of The Americas. "And you're not paying for yet another mobile subscription or piece of hardware because Ford will let you use technology you already have."

Studies by the Consumer Electronics Association show that as many as 77 million adults make up the so-called technology enthusiast drivers population, more than half of whom express the desire for a connected communications and information system in their vehicles. Even among the general population, more than one third of Americans would be interested in the ability to check email and access Web sites in their vehicles.

Upgradeable and secure
The USB port provided by SYNC lets owners leverage a variety of devices, including the mobile broadband modem. And through simple software updates, SYNC can be adapted to connect with the latest devices.

"The speeds with which technology is evolving, particularly on the wireless front, makes obsolescence a real problem," said Doug VanDagens, director of Ford's Connected Services Solutions Organization. "We've solved that problem by making SYNC work with just about any technology you plug into it. By leveraging a user's existing hardware, which can be upgraded independent of SYNC, we've helped ensure ‘forward compatibility' with whatever connectivity technology comes next."

The SYNC WiFi capability is a simple solution for bringing internet into the vehicle, versus competitive systems on the market. Being factory-installed, the hardware is seamlessly integrated into the vehicle, whereas competitor's systems are dealer-installed and require a bulky bolt-in receiver and transmitter that take up cabin space. Also, competitive systems cost approximately $500 for equipment and installation, not to mention the monthly subscription fee.

"Using SYNC with existing mobile devices helps Ford provide the most value, the most flexibility and the most convenience for owners," said Fields. "Constant connectivity is becoming a routine part of our customers' lives, and we're making existing technology more accessible without adding costs: That's the kind of value Ford drivers have learned to expect."

Using the SYNC WiFi system, a signal will be broadcast throughout the vehicle. Default security is set to WiFi Protected Access 2 (WPA2), requiring users to enter a randomly chosen password to connect to the Internet. When SYNC sees a new WiFi device for the first time, the driver must specifically allow that device to connect, preventing unauthorized users from "piggybacking" on the SYNC-provided signal.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:25 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Maybe I read an article wrong but I didnt see this as an upgrade for exisiting SYNC users but just what will be offered in newer models in the pipeline.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:28 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Mayhaps FordEngineer can shed some light on this?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:35 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

i'm thinkin 2010 with a port will be upgradable like my job, we add broadband software and plug the usb card in and connects to the network we worked into it, they will probably partner up with diff. carriers call it a certain network, and share off those partnered towers.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

A software update will not provide a WiFi access point (router) to the car. That will require an 802.11b/g/n radio to be installed.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:22 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

maybe without telling us we are fitted and is just not known........yet, although they are not saying what year models will have, they have said no aftermarket stuff to installl...........we'll see.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 AM
USAF in Germany
2nd Gear Member

actually, the article was clear that the owner/user of the car must install a USB chargable router, which is where the wifi signal that your Iphone, B'berry, laptop, etc will use comes from. SYNC will pull down the service, which I assume is already a feature (don't have my car yet).
Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

basically, a SYNC update coming early next year is supposed to allow people with USB cellular wireless sticks to plug them into your usb port and create a access point. From what i read on the tech blogs, it seems that the 2010 models were said to have this feature coming a while back, so the hardware on the car side should already be there. Hopefully FordEngineer can chime in and confirm the details on this. If i cant get on my car, no biggie. I have a net book and a 3G wireless stick already.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

So as I was thinkin Xcel, already there, I did not see the part about router, but like with Windows 7 and Microsoft is part of Sync, you have a laptop, you have a USB broadband card, you have a windows 7 component thrown in there, you can make your laptop a Hotspot so I'm still sticking with Software upgrade and needing a Broadband card, we'll see
Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 AM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by USAF in Germany
actually, the article was clear that the owner/user of the car must install a USB chargable router, which is where the wifi signal that your Iphone, B'berry, laptop, etc will use comes from. SYNC will pull down the service, which I assume is already a feature (don't have my car yet).
This would be really cool! What would be even nicer if we could get traffic and other data services to the NAV unit without having to buy sat radio.

Quick Reply: SYNC to support mobile wifi