Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brenspeed tune/won't start...

Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Unhappy Brenspeed tune/won't start...

My car did not start this morning, I have run the Brenspeed tune for the last year or so. I have had a problem before with their tune ( in the winter) with the car not starting. I've ran the Bama race tune for a bit, and then back to the Brenspeed.

I re-loaded the Brenspeed tune but it did not start. Tried starting it three times, cranks but does not start, battery is high and accessories work, oil pressure rises/ then dies out. I installed my old Bama race tune.. didn't start. Tried it again, starts up- roughly at first but starts and runs. Turned the car off after 15 minutes.. starts up and idles strong.The only problem with that tune is that the speedo is way off (20mph over), tried re-calibrating the tire/revs for the 4.10s, still read incorrectly. Never had a problem with the Bama tune starting in the winter.

I'll check everything out; the TB, MAF housing, clamps etc.

It was cold out but it's started when it was freezing ***** out so that rules out the weather issue.

Gonna re-install the Brenspeed tune later, or possibly e-mail Bama for a correct tune (and wait for six months lol jk)

Any ideas?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

with your mods, i would return to the
stock tune, just to note starting
characteristics.

Originally Posted by stealth_GT

Any ideas?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:38 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

My car did not start this morning, I have run the Brenspeed tune for the last year or so. I have had a problem before with their tune ( in the winter) with the car not starting. I've ran the Bama race tune for a bit, and then back to the Brenspeed.

I re-loaded the Brenspeed tune but it did not start. Tried starting it three times, cranks but does not start, battery is high and accessories work, oil pressure rises/ then dies out. I installed my old Bama race tune.. didn't start. Tried it again, starts up- roughly at first but starts and runs. Turned the car off after 15 minutes.. starts up and idles strong.The only problem with that tune is that the speedo is way off (20mph over), tried re-calibrating the tire/revs for the 4.10s, still read incorrectly. Never had a problem with the Bama tune starting in the winter.

I'll check everything out; the TB, MAF housing, clamps etc.

It was cold out but it's started when it was freezing ***** out so that rules out the weather issue.

Gonna re-install the Brenspeed tune later, or possibly e-mail Bama for a correct tune (and wait for six months lol jk)

Any ideas?
That is just about the exact problem i have had with the bren tune on my car. I went around and tightened all the clamps on the CAI and i am waiting now to see if it happens again. I garage my car at night and so far it has only happened to me once right after installing the 91 tune and a second time when the car sat outside for a few hours in 40 degree weather. thre is another guy running around here that had a similar issue with a tillman tune if I recall.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
with your mods, i would return to the
stock tune, just to note starting
characteristics.
well, I have the C&l Racer intake so when I return it bacl to stock it's gonna stutter a bit and then die. I re-installed the bama tune and starts off powerfull. Re-installed the Brenspeed tune and it starts but has a weak idle.

Anyone know how to calibrate the revs for the 4.10s VIA SCT x3 Excaliber???

I have 2 Bama tunes but they are for the stock 3.31s eventhough they should have been for the 4.10s as ordered.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

well, I have the C&l Racer intake so when I return it bacl to stock it's gonna stutter a bit and then die. I re-installed the bama tune and starts off powerfull. Re-installed the Brenspeed tune and it starts but has a weak idle.

Anyone know how to calibrate the revs for the 4.10s VIA SCT x3 Excaliber???

I have 2 Bama tunes but they are for the stock 3.31s eventhough they should have been for the 4.10s as ordered.

plug it in > install tune > custom tune > then click on the tune that you want > click adjust options > then scroll over to the gears and scroll up to pick 4.10's > you might have to do the tires too. google "tire revs per mile", insert your tire size and get the revs per mile. then scroll up to insert the revs per mile. speedo should be spot on.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StickShifty
plug it in > install tune > custom tune > then click on the tune that you want > click adjust options > then scroll over to the gears and scroll up to pick 4.10's > you might have to do the tires too. google "tire revs per mile", insert your tire size and get the revs per mile. then scroll up to insert the revs per mile. speedo should be spot on.
thanks for the instructions. I got there before but was stuck on the tire revs per mile... I fiddled around with it but then just left it.

Even when I put in 4.10s in the gear ratio, without the correct tires/revs it would still be way off.. gonna google it now.

Hopefully it works, the Bama tune is ferocious!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey stealth_GT, if this means you returned to the stock
tune, started the car and it stuttered and died, then i
think your issue is hardware related not tune related.

whatever it is, i hope it's an easy fix.

well, I have the C&l Racer intake so when I return it bacl to
stock it's gonna stutter a bit and then die.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Doesn't sound like a tune issue to me either. You're saying that you have run both tunes for a while with no problems but now it's started playing up? Tunes don't suddenly go wrong.
I'm looking at this statement here
Tried starting it three times, cranks but does not start, battery is high and accessories work, oil pressure rises/ then dies out. I installed my old Bama race tune.. didn't start. Tried it again, starts up- roughly at first but starts and runs. Turned the car off after 15 minutes.. starts up and idles strong.
Two things come to mind.

- Fuel filter.

- Cam followers pumping up. Could be that your cam followers are pumping up now you're in the cold weather, especially if you do short runs or perhaps, prior to a bad starting session, you've started it up to move inside a garage for example. I've had that with hydraulic follower equipped cars before.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:44 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
Doesn't sound like a tune issue to me either. You're saying that you have run both tunes for a while with no problems but now it's started playing up? Tunes don't suddenly go wrong.
I'm looking at this statement here

Two things come to mind.

- Fuel filter.

- Cam followers pumping up. Could be that your cam followers are pumping up now you're in the cold weather, especially if you do short runs or perhaps, prior to a bad starting session, you've started it up to move inside a garage for example. I've had that with hydraulic follower equipped cars before.

it could be the cam followers.. In the morning and back home again in the afternoon my drives are only 15 minutes at the most. Then in the evening maybe 15 minutes to pick up my girl then 15 mintutes to drop her back off. I barely drive in the winter until school starts back up.. for the last month, while on break- I have only been able to drive 30-60 minutes a day, all in 10-15 minute spurts. Most of the time, even if I do go out, everything is only 10 minutes away. I know it's bad for the car but it's my only choice.

I've had both tunes for awhile. But every winter it's either the alternator or battery dying, or something just goes out. I've ran the Brenspeed tune originally until my car started dying back in the winter of 08. I changed to the Bama race tune and it ran fine.. turned out the speedo was way off and I switched back to a new brenspeed tune after contacting them, as well as getting 4.10s. The tune worked great, until my car died again this winter.

I never had a problem with the Bama tune. I re-installed it today, only after re-calibrating the gears (4.10s) and tires revs ( Thanks Stickshifty), and it runs like a champ. Like a dummy, I think I was the one that messed it up in the first place.. but I won't get into that. Hopefully, everything works out fine. The freezing *** winter up here in AK is sheer torture on the GT...

thanks everyone for the help!

Last edited by stealth_GT; 01-06-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
hey stealth_GT, if this means you returned to the stock
tune, started the car and it stuttered and died, then i
think your issue is hardware related not tune related.

whatever it is, i hope it's an easy fix.
Wouldn't the larger air fliter and MAF housing cause it to run lean with the stock tune?? thus causing it to idle poorly and die??

I hope I fixed the issue.. if anything and she acts up again- I can always take her apart at the school shop in a week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brenspeed tune/won't start...