Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still trying to fix a vibration in the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default Still trying to fix a vibration in the wheel

Hello all,
I bought a set of wheels from Cruizin Concepts a while ago and have a few problems.
The main issue is that any time I go between 55 and 75 my wheel shakes quite a bit. I tried removing the little stud that is left on the caliper but it didn't help. I also had a local tire shop (Just Tires) balance the wheels twice but I still have the vibration. So far all I have to show for my trips to the shop are a bunch of scratches on the inside of the wheels from where they removed and replaced weights. The other (separate) issue is that I got the wheels with the TPMS sensors installed, bought the calibration tool but when I go to calibrate them, it will recognize the left front, but when I go around to the right front it won't recognize the sensor at all. The sensor thing didn't used to bother me but all these little things are starting to add up and annoy me so I want to get it all fixed.
Basically my question is what would be a good shop to take the car to in order to fix the balancing and TPMS problem. I'm happy to pay for it, but I'm not home much and can't afford to spend a whole day waiting for them to fix my car with no results. I live in Northern VA if that matters. I'm really just trying to find out what kind of shop I should take my car to. I'd take it to the dealer but I don't trust them to do any better than the last place....
Thanks!!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:30 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Warped rotors would be my guess. Try getting your rotors turned. It's shouldn't be too expensive, just get the front ones turned.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Warped rotors will only cause vibration when braking. I suggest you find a shop with a RoadForce balancer. My Ford delaership in KY had one and they found a defective tire that was undetectable on a standard balance machine. The RoadForce will apply pressure to the tire during the spin balance which mimics how the tire rolls on the road. Any problem such as a shifted belt will be immediately identified. And if your tires and wheels pass, then it's on to the suspension.

FYI, did you remove any of the stud clips on ALL 4 hubs? Even a rear clip can cuase vibration issues with aftermarket wheels.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Tempted

Sounds like it could be a tire balancing issue. I run 18" wheels and don't have any vibrations to 115 but I had mine RoadForce balanced. I recommend that because it recognizes high spots and low spots, if there are any, on the tires and compensates for them. What wheels did you get?

Edit- Did you say the wheels are scratched now? That sucks.

Last edited by Tempted; 01-12-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No to go OT but, Tempted, WTF is a "2081 Chevy Mustang"???
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Tempted

Just get a kick outa makin people ask questions I guess
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Thanks, yeah it's definitely not the rotors, the vibration ONLY happens with the new wheels. I did take the stud clips off all 4 wheels. I'll try to find a place near me with a RoadForce balancer. And yes, they scratched the black finish on the rims behind the spokes as this is where all the weights were mounted. Is that a normal place to mount weights BTW? It's really not noticeable unless you are looking for it.
Thanks all!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

I went through the same thing on mine as these wider rims take a good RoadForce machine along with someone who knows how to properly use it. After the second try, they got it right and my vibration (which was happening at about the same speed as yours) was gone.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:33 AM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

Also, see how they are balancing it. If they are using the center hub opening to center the rim on the balancer before balance, that's not very accurate. Tell them to use the plate with pins that centers according to lug nut holes since that's what centers them on the car, not the hub. And if they scratched your rim, you better get some comp outta that, if not a replacement. I've put on brand new chromies on several dozen cars without scratching them. But, I have scratched one before on accident, and the job was billed free.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:38 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

yeah same here, i got mine from Mike, balanced and sent them my TPMS to install.. when i was driving i would get a vibration..I had them Road forced= Gone...Ford did my sensors for me too on the house

Quick Reply: Still trying to fix a vibration in the wheel