Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear View Camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:35 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear View Camera

I got the rear view camera in my 2010 GT. I was dissapointed that it does not work well in some situations. Like if I'm wearing polorized sunglasses I can't see the display. Or if the sun is low in the sky either in front or behind you. Or if it's raining & warm the lens fogs over. I imagine snow/ice will mess with it too. On the positive side, when it's dark and not raining it works great. I'm also dissapointed in the size of the display and in the brightness and contrast. I suppose it would cost a lot more if it were better. My cell phone has a much better display, camera and it cost less.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Rear view camera... Have we become a nation of lazy people or what? I suppose turning around and using mirrors is just too much work.

Sorry, just an old fart's rant.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Mpov
1st Gear Member

I've always thought that the rear view camera was an odd option for a smaller car like the Mustang. Not saying I woujld turn one down if it was in the car anyway, but why does someone need it - just so they don't have to turn their heads when they back up? I can see the need in a large SUV or minivan because sometimes you can't really see what's behind you, like a dog or a small child.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:03 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

I'm a old fart that must chime in with a good word for the back up camera. I bought my car off the lot and it is loaded with everything but the glass roof. At first I thought the camera was just an extension of gadgetry over necessity, but I soon fell in love with this feature.

It has obvious safety related benefits, but its real value is as a parking aid. I can avoid bumper touch with ease and it has graduated lines that allows you to completely eliminate curb rash on your wheels.

Call me old fashoned, but I love my back-up camera!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 AM
cruise33

I don't think that the rear view camera is of any importance in a car as we have the mirrors to see whats coming behind.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I actually ordered my car with the rear camera. Why?? because i hated the stock spoiler on the car. I like the Camera spoiler much better. The screen is awesome with the NAV system. Yeah, I use it when backing into spaces....
Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I should reveal that I am an old fart too. Probably an older fart than some of you old farts! The camera was an option already installed on mine, I did not order it. The car was a GT, Stone leather interior, Candy Red Metalic w/tinted clear coat and an automatic. Also along for the ride was the SYNC system and Sirius.

I use the camera when I can.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As with any technology, once you use it you not only appreciate it's benefit but miss it when it's not there. As great a thing cell phones are, I miss the freedom of the days when you'd be out all day with nobody being able to call you. Now, we panic if we walk out the door without it.

But I probably was the guy that sneered at the "horseless carriage" in a previous life.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Love the camera in my Expy. That thing works amazingly. I am going to do the Taco Bill camera for my car soon. Completely hidden

I have noticed on my Expy that dirt/water will collect on the camera lens. Simply wipe it real quick with a napkin and fine again though. Never seen it fog over

As for sun visability, Ford also sells reverse rearview mirrors that have the camera LCD inside. Looks normal, then in Reverse a 3x3" screen pops up. Love mine. Bet it would adapt easily to your car
Old 05-28-2010, 06:45 PM
jrny99

my stang came with the camera and i love it when parking. when the garage door opens i can see if anythings back there like my kids toys.

Quick Reply: Rear View Camera