Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Exhaust Combo
Option 1
25.00%
Option 2
50.00%
Option 3
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Another Exhaust Help Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:03 PM
kjbnastynati51

Default Another Exhaust Help Thread!

I am in the process of buying a '05 gt manual, and am trying to get this in line so I have a plan of how I want to start modding the pony.

I plan on initially purchasing the usual intake and tune pretty, much immediately, as well as getting a set of 4.10's installed.

When it comes to exhaust, I am planning on going the full route, LT's, Mid-pipe, Axel-back.

I had additionally had my heart set on the full MAC setup, but that was until I heard it at WOT, just not my cup of tea. After listening to millions upon millions of youtube clips it seems, I have a pretty good feeling that the pypes mid-muffler is the perfect balance that I am looking for in regards to deep rumble at idle and waking the dead at WOT.

So my question comes down to what header mid-pipe combo to go with, here are what I am thinking:

Option 1: Kooks LT's, Catted-X, Mid-mufflers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ftc82mT7I
Pro: Best sound I have heard at WOT, not ricey, not tinny, just right
Concerns: I want a noticeable deep rumbling idle, this video, and others of similar setups, haven't given me a good enough impression of what the idle sounds like

Option 2: Kooks LT's, Catted-H, Mid-mufflers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICMvUl-gSLk
Pro: Might provide that deeper idle I am looking for
Concerns: With very few representatives of this on youtube, it is tough to make a call here. Also, will the Catted-H take away from that perfect sound that the Catted-X provides at WOT?

Option 3: MAC LT's, O/R Prochamber, Mid-mufflers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkmUg5U6Y0c
(I do plan on cams down the road, so this video helps provide a perspective on that)
Pro: With the prochamber, the idle I am looking for might be achived
Concerns: Being O/R it will more than likely trumpet and might not have the great WOT sound of option 1

Now price isn't much of a concern, so even though option 3 is about $400-500 cheaper, I am willing to, and can, pay the extra money to get the sound I want

Thanks for the help
Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

I got the pypes mid muffler system I'm selling if your interested pm me
Old 01-18-2010, 04:26 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Good luck on your pick. i have changed my system around quite a few times and I still can't find the note I'm looking for. Honestly, I gave up due to the price I already put in and all the changing I've done. My stingers had too much drone when they were just an axleback add on. They smoothed out a lot when I added my o/r h, and yes, i do have the trumpets. I have also listened to as many clips as possible before buying my setups, and they are still no match as the sound is in person or behind the gt accelerating. I don't know how much you want to change? Cams later will change the sound, the added cams might not be a good match for your exhaust setup.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 PM
08SilverStang
1st Gear Member

I voted option three. You said how you want it to be deep, and I think the prochamber would provide the deepest sound. Next would be the Catted H pipe. I think all set-ups will sound darn good at WOT. The trumpeting will usually come at RPMs around 3000 to 3500. I dont have much trumpeting at all at high RPMs. If you want zero trumpeting, then I would definitely not get an O/R set-up. Go with the catted set-up in that case. Also, just remember that LT's will cause your exhaust to sound much more raw possibly raspy. But I think that most of us S197 owners have realized that the 3 Valve 4.6 is never going to sound quite like we want it to! Just my opinion