Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leak Final Answer

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Default Water Leak Final Answer

All,
I posted part of this to an older thread that is currently active, but there are some guy's making jest to the seriousness of this issue.

I hope this will be the final thread on this long out standing issue.

If you have not yet had the leak YOU WILL unless your car was built in late 08
Ford knew what the problem was that's why they revised the TSB #08-26-7

The problem is with the Gaskets used under the Grommets that sit in the Cowl Body to hold the Cowl cover to the Cowl Body.

I've had my car since 2005 and just got the leak two weeks ago. I was able to fix mine before a big down pour of rain a few days ago and passed the test.

This is an easy fix. Simply follow the TSB.

It's not the grommet plug abouve the smart juction block, not the grommet plug above on the firewall or the window channel.
I've read all the post and did all the home work even consulting the pro's before I even had the problem. It's the COWL GROMMETS

The Grommet giving the most trouble sits in the very corner where the Cowl Cover, Windshield, Hood, Fender and Door all meet and is almost hidden which is right over the opening letting air into the cab as per the TSB.

The end of the Cowl Body is rounded and if the Cowl Cover is not Properly Seated (the Cowl Cover Snaps Into Place) it will pop out pulling the Grommet with it because there is no Adhiesive or Sealant on the Paper like Gasket. You will not know if the Cover has popped out because of close tolerances in fitment.

This leaves you with a HOLE and where WATER WILL COME IN GUARANTEED!!!

If you applied sealant to the pinch weld and believe that your problem is solved you are fooled.
YOU WILL GET THIS LEAK AS THE PAPER THIN GASKETS WEAKEN AND IF YOUR COWL COVER IS NOT PROPERLY SEATED.

Good Luck to ALL
Old 01-24-2010, 07:14 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

thank you mxg30.

i've been waiting for years, for someone
to do a taco style write up with pics on how
to seal our vehicles.

even though i still have to wait, your writeup
is the closest i've gotten so far.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Can you just roll into the dealership and ask for the hot melt cowl grommets ?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

pictures?

my car was born in Oct 2008...so hopefully I won't have this issue. but a picture is worth 1,000 words as they say
Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 AM
SkyWitit23
2nd Gear Member

Well i bought my car in 07 , and its an 08 so im guessing it was made in 07, but i have not had this problem, thus far..Can i just stroll into the dealership and they can replace it or somthing??
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

If you could post some pictures it would be very helpful.
If this is truly the culprit, then this needs to be made a sticky.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 AM
elmo3000
2nd Gear Member

subbed! I have an 07 gt but have been lucky so far..... but it is just a matter of time!!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:26 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

my 2008 takes a **** every time it rains. i have taken the cowl off the passenger side and sealed all the grommets i can see, i have run seam sealer across as much of the forward pinch seam that i can get too, i have re-seated the wire harness above the gem module to no avail. the new TSB claims the problem affects 2005 - 2009 models so most of you may have the problem. do your windows fog up? you will need to feel under the carpet to see if you are affected. there are many threads here of people here claiming that they have a strange electrical malfunction but swear up and down that their car was never affected so be warned.

mxg30 did you seal off all the grommets or just the ones on the passenger side? im running out of ideas. in order to get to the grommets on the drivers side i need some windshield wiper arm pullers. i sealed the grommets with a very strong nylon tape. i covered the entire grommet and cut a slit in it so the cowl could still sit properly. do you know if water can come into holes where the cowl rest?!?! im about to take drastic measures here. i will upload pictures here very soon
Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

never affected me in the 4+ years of having the car
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
never affected me in the 4+ years of having the car
Do you drive the car through rain? See, I haven't noticed it either but I don't drive the car in the rain.

Quick Reply: Water Leak Final Answer