Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash course on cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Crash course on cams

I've been looking into modding my car again, and am considering cams. But I got a few questions rattling around in my head I'd like answered before I pull the trigger.

1) Do I need to also change the Springs or retainers?

2) Do I need phase limiters?

3) How hard is the install? Could I handle myself? If not about how much for an install? (I installed my own LTs, but I'm not even really sure what this install involves.)

4) Do I need anything special for the install, a kit or replacement bolts?

5) I know its a tough question, what which ones would you recommend for my current setup? I would like a little lope sound, but I'm more looking for the power.

6) What kind of gains can I expect with my current mods?

7) Are there certain types of cams that are bad for superchargers if I go that route in the distant future?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by Fresh_GT
I've been looking into modding my car again, and am considering cams. But I got a few questions rattling around in my head I'd like answered before I pull the trigger.

1) Do I need to also change the Springs or retainers?
depends on the ones you buy, you can get no springs required (NSR) or some that require new springs

2) Do I need phase limiters?
same as above, some do some dont

3) How hard is the install? Could I handle myself? If not about how much for an install? (I installed my own LTs, but I'm not even really sure what this install involves.)look thru the stickies in the 4.6 section and get an idea. Its not an easy install and will require special tools. A shop will charge 400-700 probably depending on if it needs springs

4) Do I need anything special for the install, a kit or replacement bolts?
read above

5) I know its a tough question, what which ones would you recommend for my current setup? I would like a little lope sound, but I'm more looking for the power.so you dont have many mods you can probably get good results from a NSR setup like the hot rod cams from FRPP

6) What kind of gains can I expect with my current mods? again this depends on what you get, 20-50 is possible with some more mods

7) Are there certain types of cams that are bad for superchargers if I go that route in the distant future? yes there are 2 types of grinds often, 1 for NA and another for SC
there is alot of basic research you need to do. IMO you dont have enough mods to consider cams unless you like spending money for sound.

Hell you can probably get the about the same gains for 350 by getting pullies and delete plates (15HP). And you will also notice those gains easier. Cams will get you high end gains and you may lose some lower end torq actually. the pullies you should notice some power thru the entire rpm range really.