Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-15-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

what are common 2005 Mustang Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:30 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matafy
Are there any problems with the 05? Since it was the first year production of the S197.
Traffic tickets.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:36 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
Traffic tickets.
lmao!

I hadnt had a ticket in over 14 years. I got the mustang last August, and got a ticket in September.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
lmao!

I hadnt had a ticket in over 14 years. I got the mustang last August, and got a ticket in September.
Yep, same here. Had one ticket from 1985-2005(radar gun ticket in 1994). Bought my '05 in March 2005 got two tickets in 5 months, got the '06 in Aug 2006, got two tickets in two months. Been clean since Dec 2006 though
I put 22,000 miles on my '05 in 17 months and the issues were the slow fill(dealer replaced tank & filler neck), the throttle body(warranty replaced), dash rattle(warranty fix) and a dead battery(warranty replaced), dealer also fixed the right door window seal & the strut mount bearings when the car was in the shop on the various occasions. The '06 has only had the fuel pump replaced(warranty), but nothing else in 38,900 miles
Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Had a few TSB issues with mine as well. I would imagine most 05's would have had any problems taken care of by now by the previous owners.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:17 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I got a reckless driving ticket last fall.

Strange laws here - in this one municipality the cops don't have radar - which means if they know you are speeding, they just write you a reckless driving ticket. It was night, not much traffic out. One car behind me. 3 mile straight away. So I just gunned it, probably hit 80-90 mph before noticing the car behind me had turned on its blue lights. Uhhh....

He tried and tried to make me volunteer to a speed. But I wouldn't. Bam, reckless ticket. So I go to court and tell the prosecutor that I was speeding but not being reckless. I said I mostly got a ticket for having loud exhaust the cop didn't appreciate. Certainly wasn't reckless. He knew the road I had been on, knows its all straight, and knows there is little traffic there.

So he says, "I'll reduce the charge to.....improper equipment". I'm like cool I appreciate it. In reality, he had a huge stack of cases and just wanted me to go away instead of pleading not guilty.

He walks that over the judge who asks "how do you plead" and I say "I am so guilty".

$29 fine.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 AM
squatty

I bought mine with 18K 2 years ago, and the problems I've had off and on the most is the slow fill and the cheap little seat **** that broke. Other issues that have happen on several occasions were: Frozen e-brake, and a squirrelly fuel gauge that had a DTS code. The e-brake happen once this winter, and the fuel gauge hasn't happen in about a year. Also, don't shut the trunk lid too hard, it will break the 3rd brake light fillament.....plus,the original cover for that is very delicate and breaks. I replaced the light 2 times in a year, and repalced the cover, which costs 55 bucks. I've never taken it to Ford for repairs, because nothing has been consistent. It is the nicest Stang I've owned in 20 years....buy one and enjoy!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Bought mine in June 2005, as of today 81,433 Miles and 500 plus Passes on the 1320.
Replacing the Valve Springs because of Cams and I did have the water leak this year but is an easy fix..
Old 06-05-2010, 08:23 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

For the most part these S197's are great cars, but you can buy a lemon in any brand/make! The sloppiest part of these S197's quality control and lack of caring is the pass. waterleak issue!!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Austyn F.

Default Please help.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT with 19'000 miles on it. Third owner with only some Flowmaster axle back exhaust and a cold air intake. It ran perfect for the first 1000 miles I had it. Not there seems to be some kid of noticeable power loss. Its almost like I'm not letting off the clutch all the way and it's not getting full power. I'll put it to the floor and it hardly picks up. But other times I'll give it full throttle and it put me back and takes off. It seems to be getting worse and I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem and if they know what it is.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:59 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Bought new, now at 72.3k. I think I've been fortunate. I had the pinion seal leak, and had the fuel pump replaced. On the FP back then owners mentioned some minor issues, mine finally gave me an "Emissions" light, dealer said there was too much back pressure to the tank. New FP sure seems faster and smoother! Those little issues didn't bother me, but, they are gone now. Oh, my lumbar support adjuster died.

Quick Reply: what are common 2005 Mustang Problems