Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought HID's from Retro-Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:57 AM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

Headlights are H13 and fogs are H10
Old 02-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know how to "calibrate" the headlights. Mine shoot toward the ground more then normal as it is and i was just wondering how far from a wall should i be and where the beam should be. And also how to adjust the lights. Should i adjust the lights before or after the HID's are in? Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless06
Does anyone know how to "calibrate" the headlights. Mine shoot toward the ground more then normal as it is and i was just wondering how far from a wall should i be and where the beam should be. And also how to adjust the lights. Should i adjust the lights before or after the HID's are in? Thanks
sorry i couldn't get the pics for you.. my camera actually SHOCKED me as i was tyring to fix it haha and then it shorted out..

and camera phone pics arn't going to tell you anything lol

and to calibrate them there is a screw sticking out all you have to do (may actually be an allen head i dont remmeber) is turn that and it will adjust it up and down.

you can do this with the lights on obviously. also make sure the road is flat and i would point the passenger side up a little more then the drivers side ONLY because the roads here are tilted so water runs off, I like to make the lights even so it doesn't give it the 'one light looks brighter then the other' look because of the angle. adjust them after your HIDs r in
Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

The best way to adjust your headlights is to park in front of a brick wall (side of a grocery store or something) on a LEVEL surface. That way you can make sure that both of your headlights are even.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:18 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedFire281
Yeah, it's a great mod and can be done quickly. My only recommendation is that you don't forget to take off the red rubber gasket from the original bulb and put it on the new HID bulb. For some reason the HIDs don't tighten up without the additional gasket. I installed the Retro-Solutions 4300 HID kit to match the color temperature on my fogs. Great kit from a reliable company. The lights lined up right out of the box with no scatter.
Hey RedFire..... How do you like the 4300k bulbs? How much brighter are they than your stock lights?

I've been thinking about switching my 5000k bulbs out for those. I do get lots of flashes from oncoming traffic since my bulbs are brighter than normal stock bulbs. Mine do have the bulb capping so they're not all that obnoxious.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
Hey RedFire..... How do you like the 4300k bulbs? How much brighter are they than your stock lights?

I've been thinking about switching my 5000k bulbs out for those. I do get lots of flashes from oncoming traffic since my bulbs are brighter than normal stock bulbs. Mine do have the bulb capping so they're not all that obnoxious.
I love these HIDs and I'll never look back. 4300s are pure white and bright as hell, but my PIAA fogs are 4150 from Shelby Performance and I wanted to match the temp as close as possible. Also, I noticed my cutoff was lower (from the factory) than most alignment installs tell you they should be so I've never been flashed by any on-coming traffic but it sure lights up the road ahead. On level ground my horizontal cutoff is 20 inches at 25 feet.

BTW: Here's a pic of the adjustment screw (to right of headlight bulb). The pic is courtesy of mlcrycc on this forum.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought HID's from Retro-Solutions-hidinstall0051024x768.jpg  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I'm wondering if the difference between 5000k and 4300k is all that much as far as looks are concerned. Mine are bright white too but I think the 4300k may be a bit more subtle, which would be nice.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

the 4300 and 5000 are definitely white.. but when compared too the beam of 6000 or 8000.. they look yellowish. (only when you compare though)

but they are very nice still
Old 02-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Conn337
1st Gear Member

I got the dual beam HIDS from american muscle. Well see how that goes haha
Old 02-18-2010, 02:41 PM
hybris1

I got my 4300K 55W from retro-solutions installed last night. I could not be happier. The bulb capping is also very nice. I put together some A/B comparison pictures. They were all taken at the same exposure and shutter speed. They are much brighter and the color is perfect. Pure white. My driving lights are barely noticeable and are no longer needed. I may put some yellow bulbs in them to help with the fog. I did not have to adjust the drivers side but the passenger side had to be lowered about 8". I walked down the street from my car and there was no bad glare.

More pictures in my album.

Quick Reply: Just bought HID's from Retro-Solutions