Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ipod

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 10:45 PM
thedarkside
1st Gear Member

Default ipod

I have searched teh interwebz and forums regarding hooking up an iPod to my 06. There is a myriad of information regarding the connection which allows you to control your ipod with your stereo such as this:
http://www.icarkits.com/product_info...oducts_id=3347

But if I prefer to have a generic stereo jack, and to control my music with my ipod, I am assuming all I need is: PAC - Auxiliary Audio Input

and RCA cables + ipod

and a mustang,

Is this correct?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:54 PM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

Dunno... But I may be sad if so.

I noticed with the kit from that same site for a 2004 Lincoln LS I had, and ALSO for my wife's '05 Tacoma, the iPod can be controlled from EITHER end, which rocks. I'd rather use the iPod. Great interface.

But the BrandMotion ( which I ordered on Friday) does not allow this. Kinda sucks.

Also noticed the iCar Kit site charges an extra $20 for the Mustang kit compared to direct from BrandMotion.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:49 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedarkside
I have searched teh interwebz and forums regarding hooking up an iPod to my 06. There is a myriad of information regarding the connection which allows you to control your ipod with your stereo such as this:
http://www.icarkits.com/product_info...oducts_id=3347

But if I prefer to have a generic stereo jack, and to control my music with my ipod, I am assuming all I need is: PAC - Auxiliary Audio Input

and RCA cables + ipod

and a mustang,

Is this correct?

Thanks!
yup works 100%
Old 02-15-2010, 05:09 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Just get an aftermarket head unit, your system will sound better and the ipod hookup with be less complicated
Old 02-15-2010, 09:35 AM
thedarkside
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
yup works 100%
Thanks! Just wanted to be sure before I order it

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
Just get an aftermarket head unit, your system will sound better and the ipod hookup with be less complicated
I am always skeptical to put an aftermarket stereo in newer cars, I always found that the stock stereo works best with the factory speakers, plus it is less likely some crack head will break your window to steal it. I installed this stereo in my '68 Eldorado with some Infinity 6.5's and Soundstream 6x9's. It works great, and is nice because it charges your ipod while it is synced up too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+X...plod&cp=1&lp=5
Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I was going to suggest this kit but noticed the price went up to to $200. I got mine for $120 a couple years ago. It has two connections, which can be used for any two of iPod, StereoMini/RCA, or HD Radio (with additional wiring/reciever). The iPod connection allows you to control from either the head unit, or the iPod itself both while charging (except iPhone/touch). For the standard analog input it has a male StereoMini on a 6' lead and female RCA stereo input on a much shorter lead so you can plug whatever you like into that.

I'm not sure what the FRD-004 is going for nowadays, but if the costs are similar, I'd suggest the iSimple piece.

edit: The $200 price at BestBuy apparently includes installation. They're still available on eBay for $129. You'll want to look for ISFD73, if you're interested.

Last edited by Kotobuki; 02-15-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:10 AM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

I wouldnt trust BestBuy to start my car, let alone mess with anything electronics related...better off doing it yourself...its not that difficult anyhow.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:46 AM
thedarkside
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
I was going to suggest this kit but noticed the price went up to to $200. I got mine for $120 a couple years ago. It has two connections, which can be used for any two of iPod, StereoMini/RCA, or HD Radio (with additional wiring/reciever). The iPod connection allows you to control from either the head unit, or the iPod itself both while charging (except iPhone/touch). For the standard analog input it has a male StereoMini on a 6' lead and female RCA stereo input on a much shorter lead so you can plug whatever you like into that.

I'm not sure what the FRD-004 is going for nowadays, but if the costs are similar, I'd suggest the iSimple piece.

edit: The $200 price at BestBuy apparently includes installation. They're still available on eBay for $129. You'll want to look for ISFD73, if you're interested.
Thanks for the info! I did not realize you could control your music with either the ipod OR the stereo, usually once it is synced you are stuck trying to navigate 50 gigs of music through the vehicle's inferior interface. Plus this way, it will charge the ipod

Originally Posted by jasezero
I wouldnt trust BestBuy to start my car, let alone mess with anything electronics related...better off doing it yourself...its not that difficult anyhow.
So true, I never let anyone work on any of my cars, especially Bestbuy. I just bought this: 99.20 + free shipping, ebay rockzores.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

To switch from head unit control to iPod control, once the iPod is plugged in, all you have to do is hit the AUX button and it will continue to charge but switch content control to the iPod. The radio might display "No iPod connected" in this mode, but you'll still get all your audio.

Just as an FYI, sometime during the 06 model year Ford made some changes to the Shaker head unit. There are some dipswitch settings that are different based on Early/Late build radios. This is not shown in the manual (for some reason, or at least it wasn't in mine) but the information is/was available in an FAQ from the company. A FAQ which I seem to be having trouble finding at this point... I can rustle up the proper dipswitch settings for the early build head units from my car if you'd like. Probably better to have them available sooner, rather than later, eh?

Last edited by Kotobuki; 02-15-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 PM
thedarkside
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
To switch from head unit control to iPod control, once the iPod is plugged in, all you have to do is hit the AUX button and it will continue to charge but switch content control to the iPod. The radio might display "No iPod connected" in this mode, but you'll still get all your audio.

Just as an FYI, sometime during the 06 model year Ford made some changes to the Shaker head unit. There are some dipswitch settings that are different based on Early/Late build radios. This is not shown in the manual (for some reason, or at least it wasn't in mine) but the information is/was available in an FAQ from the company. A FAQ which I seem to be having trouble finding at this point... I can rustle up the proper dipswitch settings for the early build head units from my car if you'd like. Probably better to have them available sooner, rather than later, eh?
Good to know! Thanks for the info about the dip switch too, I found this manual, is this what you were referring to?

http://peripheralelectronics.com/per...D73_Manual.pdf

Quick Reply: ipod