Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tokico D-Spec rear shocks clunking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:49 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default Tokico D-Spec rear shocks clunking?

To all Tokico D-Spec owners...do you experience clunking or clicking noises in the rear when going over bumps? Ever since I installed my new Tokico's, I started noticing these noises. I tightened down the top nut as hard as I could with two wrenches. One to hold the top stem and the other to turn the nut. I damaged the threads on the top stem where the dust cap goes but that's another story. I was wondering if the top of the shock is still loose somehow and maybe the shaft is banging around inside the shock tower hole. I noticed that the OEM shocks have a lower bushing with rubber that goes into the hole but the Tokico's don't have that. Maybe that's the cause of the noise? Maybe the Tokico's shaft is moving around inside the shock tower hole?

Did I compress the bushing enough?

Here's the OEM shock with lower bushing. Notice how the bushing has a nipple that supposed to extend into the shock tower hole. The Tokico's don't have this.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

i have read up on these before i bought some and it just seems hit and miss on the clunking. try ajusting some and see if it goes away. on a side note when did you buy yours? i just installed 'em last week and i didnt have any bushings on the top like you do. i hope im ok with out them. i know they were not included.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:49 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Redsox401
i have read up on these before i bought some and it just seems hit and miss on the clunking. try ajusting some and see if it goes away. on a side note when did you buy yours? i just installed 'em last week and i didnt have any bushings on the top like you do. i hope im ok with out them. i know they were not included.
I bought mine back in mid December from American Muscle. That's weird yours didn't come with upper bushings that go inside the car.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

I bought mine from AM as well in December & just installed today. What a diff....WOW. Sorry OP did ot mean to hi-jack the thread. So far no clunking, but again I just installed today.

Redsox, I would call whoever you bought them from, the bushings are supposed to come with the kit.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
To all Tokico D-Spec owners...do you experience clunking or clicking noises in the rear when going over bumps? Ever since I installed my new Tokico's, I started noticing these noises. I tightened down the top nut as hard as I could with two wrenches. One to hold the top stem and the other to turn the nut. I damaged the threads on the top stem where the dust cap goes but that's another story. I was wondering if the top of the shock is still loose somehow and maybe the shaft is banging around inside the shock tower hole. I noticed that the OEM shocks have a lower bushing with rubber that goes into the hole but the Tokico's don't have that. Maybe that's the cause of the noise? Maybe the Tokico's shaft is moving around inside the shock tower hole?

Did I compress the bushing enough?

Here's the OEM shock with lower bushing. Notice how the bushing has a nipple that supposed to extend into the shock tower hole. The Tokico's don't have this.
Looks tight, I also damaged the top threads on the dust cover a little. Re-check that the bottom bolt (by the back wheel) on the shock is tight. These are "one time" fasteners according to Ford. I used some lock-tite & an impact gun to torque them down pretty good. There have been folks that have had these come loose because they did not use the lock-tite. I also used a secondary nut over the main nut to ensure it did not back out (on the top nut). I got these idea from Muscle Mustang's mag in a recent write up they had on their Mac1. They showed pics of the Tociko's & I noticed they had used 2 nuts on the top of the rear Tociko shocks. The install was done at Steeda so I figured they should know their stuff. I also set the Tociko's to the setting Steeda recommends.....
Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

I've had mine for 800 miles or so, and just started getting the clunking/rattling from the right shock a few weeks ago. Very annoying! I took it off and didn't find anything obvious. The top and bottom fasteners are on tight, so it's not that. Adjusting it one way or the other doesn't seem to make a difference.

My working theory is that the shock piston is rattling side-to-side inside the bushing that goes through the body. Haven't proved it yet, though.

I hope someone figures this out sometime soon.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

My clunking was a loose shock. I ruined one trying to get it out and had to buy another. My suggestion is to undo the shock and put another bushing in, or try putting the bushing under the body.

I went out and checked mine and the bushing is on top. I thought I had one underneath but I'm not crawling under there right now.

Go back and check the rear sway bar and pan hard bar connections to make sure they are all tightened up securely. I have forgotten many times to tighten something. Now I go over everything one bolt at a time after I'm all done to double check.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:02 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vader GT
Looks tight, I also damaged the top threads on the dust cover a little. Re-check that the bottom bolt (by the back wheel) on the shock is tight. These are "one time" fasteners according to Ford. I used some lock-tite & an impact gun to torque them down pretty good. There have been folks that have had these come loose because they did not use the lock-tite. I also used a secondary nut over the main nut to ensure it did not back out (on the top nut). I got these idea from Muscle Mustang's mag in a recent write up they had on their Mac1. They showed pics of the Tociko's & I noticed they had used 2 nuts on the top of the rear Tociko shocks. The install was done at Steeda so I figured they should know their stuff. I also set the Tociko's to the setting Steeda recommends.....
Good idea on the extra nut to prevent backing out. I'll need to put them on mine just in case.

Originally Posted by Simon1
My clunking was a loose shock. I ruined one trying to get it out and had to buy another. My suggestion is to undo the shock and put another bushing in, or try putting the bushing under the body.

I went out and checked mine and the bushing is on top. I thought I had one underneath but I'm not crawling under there right now.

Go back and check the rear sway bar and pan hard bar connections to make sure they are all tightened up securely. I have forgotten many times to tighten something. Now I go over everything one bolt at a time after I'm all done to double check.
The rear shocks came with two bushings each. One should be under the shock tower and the other goes on top of the tower such as in my picture. I actually checked my sway bars and end links today and retightened them. I didn't check the panhard bar. I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

i got them from AM as well. Not sure why the bushing is missing im sure if i call them they will tell me it came from the factory like that and i need to contact them for a replacement. but i still have the stocks so i will just remove the bushing from there and use it.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:07 AM
760Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
I was wondering if the top of the shock is still loose somehow and maybe the shaft is banging around inside the shock tower hole. I noticed that the OEM shocks have a lower bushing with rubber that goes into the hole but the Tokico's don't have that. Maybe that's the cause of the noise? Maybe the Tokico's shaft is moving around inside the shock tower hole?

This is the problem. You're supposed to reuse that little rubber guy on the Tokico's. Compare the hole in the bushing to the size that fits in the shock tower mount. That bushing's size is how much play the shock has to move without it. Reinstall the shocks with the shock tower mount bushing and you're grand.

Last edited by 760Mustang; 01-31-2010 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Picture Reference

Quick Reply: Tokico D-Spec rear shocks clunking?