Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeda driveshaft install

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default Steeda driveshaft install

Steeda includes no instructions with this thing. Has anyone ever installed one of these?

They want you to use red loctite on the pinion nut and also the bolts mating the driveshaft to the front and rear flanges.

Isn't that going to make for a serious PITA if I ever need to remove this to install a STS or for any other reason?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:35 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Steeda has a lot of instructions on their site. Have you checked for it there?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

They don't seem to have anything up for the driveshaft.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You want Red Loctite to keep that bad boy from unleashing on you at the worst time. When it comes time to take it apart, some serious power is required but they'll come undone.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Steeda includes no instructions with this thing. Has anyone ever installed one of these?

They want you to use red loctite on the pinion nut and also the bolts mating the driveshaft to the front and rear flanges.

Isn't that going to make for a serious PITA if I ever need to remove this to install a STS or for any other reason?
Its not a big deal, Ive taken my ds off a few times after putting loctite on the bolts each time. Just requires a little extra effort.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yeah but the blue or the red stuff? I've been told the red is pretty much permanent.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Yeah but the blue or the red stuff? I've been told the red is pretty much permanent.
Sometimes heat is necessary to break the red loose. I have always used blue without a problem on driveshaft bolts. If they aren't coming loose on the big C4500 ambulance chassis I work on they won't come loose on your Stang as long as you torque them properly.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 AM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I'm really surprised they didn't include instructions. I've ordered serveral things for my car from Steeda and they have provided the best instructions. I wonder if they forgot to add them to your package? You should try calling them.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Hey Rip, sup bud?

Anyhow, use he red loctite. I would only use that on the first 3 threads of the tip of each bolt. That prevents the bolts to stay in, and not voluntarily back out from the constant vibrations. It will be hard to remove, but, just use a breaker bar, and they will come loose.

I do have a write-up for a Shaftmasters Driveshaft, which is the same. I did this on my back, with basic sockets, torque wrenches, etc.

It's pretty easy. I HIGHLY suggest having a friend there to help, as on your back, the stock driveshaft is heavy, and you need the extra hand to remove it safely, and install the new one safely.

I will find that How-to ( which is very detailed i might add) and PM you the info. Congrats on the new DS!!!

-Chris
Old 02-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the help.

Steeda did get me some instructions. They aren't up on the website.

They do recommend red loctite. I will just be careful with it and do as you suggest. As long as I follow the "little goes a long way" philosophy I shouldn't have a permanent install on my hands.

Now I just need to find a decent air wrench for $60-100, the socket I need, and a creeper. Hoping to get away with spending less than $200 on the tools but it beats paying a shop to do this when it really isn't that big of a deal to do the flange.

If I follow the instructions and torque that pinion nut back down properly with my tq wrench then if things are off balance it's not my fault.

Quick Reply: Steeda driveshaft install