Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Mustang Paint Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:04 PM
GTJUNKIE
2nd Gear Member

Default White Mustang Paint Issues

I have noticed that my plastic parts on my 07 HP white have a yellow tint to it. I approached the bodyshop manager about this today, his response was as follows.
Toyota's are much worse.....
Ford paints the bumper covers off the car.......
Thats the difference between metal and plastic......
I asked for an educated fix for this problem and I recieved this.
It could be blended with the panels but I wouldn'y suggest it.
Now I know there isn't anything wrong with the strenth of the paint and I expressed that to him he followed by saying it is only a cosmetic issue that only I would notice. I said I understand it is assthetic but I didn't like the contrast. After a few more minutes of speaking with him I knew I was getting nowhere fast so before I completely blew up on the guy I figured I would leave him alone. I would like to know if any of you guys have the same issue. Keep in mind this is not a big difference in color but just a hint of yellow tint when the sun hits it the right way. The contrast shows up more when the car is a little dirty.[sm=icon_beat.gif][sm=bicker.gif]
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 PM
red stangguy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: White Mustang Paint Issues

Can you post some picsso I can see thecolor variation between the panels.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:23 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 07-23-2007, 07:24 PM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

I think that you contaced me via e-mail:

I agree that the white paint does tend to have a yellow tint to it. I have noticed this many times before and was curious if it was just do to lighting. It seems to appear more yellow under different lighting conditions.. Further, I do not seem to notice it as much when the car is clean. I do not know of any "officially reported" paint defects with the white Mustangs... but, the paint not matching exactly would seem to make sense if the bumpers were painted at a different time than the car's body.

... yet it is annoying..
Old 07-23-2007, 07:32 PM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

I think that was me. I still haven't taken it to the Dealership. I contacted everyone that posted in the White Car Club Thread and at least 50% that responded said the same thing. The white plastic rear valance look like it's a different color.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:46 PM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mobydick

I think that was me. I still haven't taken it to the Dealership. I contacted everyone that posted in the White Car Club Thread and at least 50% that responded said the same thing. The white plastic rear valance look like it's a different color.
Let us know what the Dealership says regarding the issue.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

You may want to consider having the rear bumper cover redone (front a problem too?). ...probably not by way of warranty though. First of all if you have it redone using white primer it will not have a yellow tint when completed. A good quality shop can do a couple test panels for you; one in white primer, one in light grey. Place these next to rear bumper adjacent boby panels and chances are excellent that one or both will be right on and you should also see a difference vs. the OE bumper cover. If this test makes you comfortable it's worth having the bumper cover(s) done; get your mirrors done at the same time and if you are considering a chin spoiler, get everything done at once. You can stop by any Toyota dealership and look at the Camry and Corolla. I don't think you are going to see this problem. I was looking at a new white Camry a couple of weeks ago (to replace my 00 white Mits Galant) and I do look at bumper panel match just as a matter of practice and everything looked fine; had I seen this post I would have looked even closer from different light angles.

btw, I love white in the GT.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

I thought this happened on mine, but I realized later that I had left Goo Gone on parts of my rear bumper, and only in those places did it seem yellow... after I put the clay bar on it was fine: no variation in color between the bumper and the body

I have noticed that, compared to other white cars, the Performance White appears slightly yellow, even when new, so perhaps the yellowness is what makes it "performance white"?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:48 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Maybe- but there should be no color difference from panel to panel even if it is painted off the car and the difference is from plastic to metal. I had a body kit put on a black car and though the primer is different from what they would use on the white colored cars they should have gotten it done right from the factory. Take the car back to the dealer and have them rectify it...there is no excuse any dealer can give me on a stock GT from the factory that is under warranty as to why they won't resolve your problem. We need to have the dealers be more accountable. Also everyone should take as much time as they need at the dealer in different lighting before taking delivery of your stang so you can point out any discrepancies on the contract you sign at closing of the sale. JMO hope it helps and post some pics if you can but I imagine it will be hard to get the color difference in pics as everyones monitors can display color differently.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

I have to agree my back bumper that was painted by ford has a bit of a yellow tint compared to the rest of the car it really shows up once my rear valence was put on. I was very lucky to have a good paint guy to match the other parts to my car .

Another thing I love love love the side exhaust and everything but if i had to do it again i prob wouldnt because on white car the body kit lines show up soooo much it drives me crazy sometimes . I am not a big body kit fan in the first place but saw the cervinis stuff and had to do it. I talked to my body shop guy and he said for around 500 bucks they would sand down a small area around the body kit lines , then mold it on and repaint overtop the molding and all. This would give it a very clean flush look. Only thing is ,,, its 500 bucks that could be spent on something else and in 30 years if i want to sell it you can get a lot more for the original than aftermarket stuff and i cant sell my car in maryland with side exhaust because it wouldnt pass inspection.

Quick Reply: White Mustang Paint Issues