Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
bojanglesowner07252
2nd Gear Member

Default x pipe

if i get an x pipe that has cats, will it be street legal and let me pass inspection? Also, if it has cats will i here anything louder than my stock midpipe? any suggestions on a good setup...all i got is flowmaster axle back.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:17 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Well, the purpose of cats IS to make them street legal. If they don't state "for off-road use only" than they should be legal. It should also be a bit louder than stock considering they try to yield the most horsepower possible, therefore making it high-flowing, which will increase the sound by a little.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Flows generally don't match up good with a x, imo. You will be street legal if it has cats. I wouldn't mess around with it if you have to have the cats in place. Plus, the frpp piece that can be welded after the cats is most likely useless. I would either go o/r after the inspection and replace whenever needed or not mess with it at all.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:31 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

My Bassani catted x-pipe passes emissions. However, I believe the x-pipe SLP says it is not emissions legal. Depends on the brand of cats I guess.

High-flow cats are much louder than stock.

I have a catted Bassani x-pipe with SLP Loudmouth mufflers, gets compliments all the time.
Might be too raspy for some people.

This is my car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU1ggrx1BOA
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Sounds nasty!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Catted X pipes are emmissions legal. There are exceptions. Magnaflow hi-flow cats are 49 state legal and we can all guess were they are illegal.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:23 PM
bojanglesowner07252
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by red96v6
My Bassani catted x-pipe passes emissions. However, I believe the x-pipe SLP says it is not emissions legal. Depends on the brand of cats I guess.

I have a catted Bassani x-pipe with SLP Loudmouth mufflers, gets compliments all the time.

This is my car:

dude that thing sounds sick....i would love for my car to sound like that. This may be a stupid question but, could like a cop give u a ticket if its too loud, like for your setup do u have to worry about that. I mean i know not to step on it with a cop near. Also, do u have any headers on this or just the bassani catted x and slp
Old 03-04-2010, 01:41 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Yea you can get a fix it ticket or noise violation, it depends on your states laws.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
Sounds nasty!
Thanks..

Originally Posted by bojanglesowner07252
dude that thing sounds sick....i would love for my car to sound like that. This may be a stupid question but, could like a cop give u a ticket if its too loud, like for your setup do u have to worry about that. I mean i know not to step on it with a cop near. Also, do u have any headers on this or just the bassani catted x and slp
I got pulled over by a state trooper at 2 in the morning before when I had SLPs and an off road h-pipe. I was the only car on the road and he pulled me over because he thought my stock headlights were too bright. The car was crazy loud then but he didnt say anything about it...

I gets tons of attention from the police, always getting pulled over for some made up crap, like stock lights being too bright, couldnt see my license plate or seat belt, everything... any reason to search the vehicle. Probably been pulled over at least 50 times since Ive owned the car, but only got one ticket for speeding.

One time, a trooper was on the side of the road with some one else pulled over, right after the entrance ramp onto a highway. I got on the highway and he shined his flashlight at me, then caught up to me and pulled me over a few minutes later for speeding. I was only going 45ish in a 65 when I passed him, but he thought I was speeding because of the way it sounded...

Depends on the cops in your area... Like you said... Just keep off of it when near cops and you should be fine.

This is just a catted x and SLPs, it still has the factory manifold.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
soon2bu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by red96v6

This is my car:

Geez. That's loud. I just bought the same mid pipe,and I have Pype Bombs on the way, and hopefully they are a little quieter. I don't mind the noise, but raspy isn't my think.

Quick Reply: x pipe