MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Any issue with buying a car that sat on the lot almost 1 year? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/591008-any-issue-with-buying-a-car-that-sat-on-the-lot-almost-1-year.html)

Argetni 03-14-2010 12:26 AM

Any issue with buying a car that sat on the lot almost 1 year?

I have a signed contract on a
2010 GT premium
HID
Glass roof
19 painted
security
comfort

MSRP 36840
X plan 34441
- 1k rebate

$33441 to buy +TTL

$527.08/72 months 1.9%

Seems like a decent deal.

BUT the car shipped 4/7/09 per the window sticker and sat almost 1 year and had 100 miles put on it.

Car is in mint shape of course except a little piece 1/8" of dash padding sticking out above the gauge bezel and a squeaky windshield wiper both of which I am sure they can fix.

I am having second thoughts about buying a car that sat that long though and had that many miles put on it.

What do you guy's think?

budders 03-14-2010 12:32 AM

why the hell is there 100 miles on it would be my first question.

ReaperGT 03-14-2010 01:00 AM

I agree, there is something that seems a bit off. Especially since dealers usually have a certain time frame to get rid of a car before it goes to auction. I would be very cautious.

Tylus 03-14-2010 01:16 AM

depends.

my 2008 Expy EL sat on the lot for 7 months. Invoice price of $44,000. Sticker Price of $50,000

my 2009 Bullitt sat on the lot for 10 months. Invoice price of $34,000. Sticker price of $38,000.

some dealerships are money hungry. That was the case with both of my cars. I had to negotiate for over 1 month on each of them. But they finally came to my terms because both cars had sat on the lot for a long damn time.

btw, the 100 miles ain't crap. that car was one of the 1st 2010 GT's to be in your area most likely. It has probably been test driven a million times by every guy curious enough to stop by. I know my car had 53 miles when I finally signed the papers on it. Think my Expy was about 40 something miles.

still, that is alot of money for that car.

Tylus 03-14-2010 01:17 AM

btw, almost 1 yr later and both cars are 100% in perfect shape. I would do it again. It was just another negotiating tool I had available to get the best price I could

MR_Q 03-14-2010 01:53 AM

My local dealership had a "new" 06 V6 sitting on their lot up until 09, and an 06 GT sitting for just about as long. Both cars got hit by a hail storm that dinged them up a bit. They had an 07 V6 for a long time, too.... It may still be there, but I think they got rid of it. I cant say if any of them suffered any issues from sitting that long.

loots06 03-14-2010 04:07 AM

you should have waited for the 11.

avengence 03-14-2010 05:42 AM

Check the paint and make sure there arent fine scratches all over it. Dealerships (at least here in california) cant use soap or something is what I have been told. So all of the cars that sit for a long time get scratches all over them from them washing them.

ReverseTime 03-14-2010 07:15 AM

My mother bought an 08 Edge SEL that had sat on the lot for a full year. However it didn't have anywhere near 100 miles on it, more like 24 if I remember right. Sticker was about 31k, she paid just over 24k out the door.

Aside from the obvious mileage concerns (Did the whole dealership drive that thing home a couple times?) any car that has sat for that long I'd insist on having all the fluids changed, maybe the plugs as well. And I damn sure wouldn't pay anywhere near sticker for it.

Then again, when I bought my last Ford (03 SVT Focus) it spent the first 3 months of my owning it in the shop for a laundry list of issues. Driving the absolute worst loaner they could find for 90 days sucked.

crescent_wrench 03-14-2010 07:34 AM

I'd hold on for another deal or order a 2011 5.0

07GT4.6 03-14-2010 07:53 AM

Make sure you check it for body damage, tires for flat spots,leather for sun damage and drive it hard to see if anything shows up. Mine sat on the lot for a little over a year,the only thing that was bad on mine was the rear end the bearings got flat spots from not moving. That showed the night i drove it home so the next morning i was changing in another unit from another stock vehicle that took care of the problem. but the longer they sit the better the deal i got a great deal on mine.just check the car all over.Or like the others say wait for the 5oh, i want one but i'm going to give it a couple of years until the work all the bugs out of it.good luck.

dmhines 03-14-2010 08:10 AM

My car was on the lot a long time too ... Built 05/09 ... and bought it a couple of weeks ago. Definitely Check paint .. I found a paint chip and scratched door glass on my GT. They had the paint chip fixed (perfectly I might ad ... nice work for a dealer bodyshop) and they replaced the door glass with a new window.

Also ... you will have SYNC version 2.0 on that old a car (mine did) ... Have the dealer upgrade to latest 3.1 before delivery ....

I also plan on changing the oil at 1000 miles or so since it's year old oil too ...

Nuke 03-14-2010 09:08 AM

$33k for a '10 leftover? No way. I'd think in the $25k range, if that.

1 year on the lot is no big deal. Have them do a fresh oil change and put new wiper blades on it since that's what you'd need to do anyway.

dmhines 03-14-2010 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 6876742)
$33k for a '10 leftover? No way. I'd think in the $25k range, if that.

1 year on the lot is no big deal. Have them do a fresh oil change and put new wiper blades on it since that's what you'd need to do anyway.

$11K off MSRP .... never happen .....

Argetni 03-14-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by dmhines (Post 6876762)

Yeah no way they will do that. They are firm on the price, would not even knock off the .08 a month!

I am going to call the guy tomorrow and tell him the deal is off, I only left a $100 deposit and I am sure they will refund it.

I am going to hold off a few months and see if the rebates increase or if they go 0% for 72 months.

I found another dealer 30 mins away(current is 5 mins) that has (24) 2010 stangs in stock and most were shipped in February 2010. Many have the track pack too but none have the glass roof that my wife loves. I also am a bit stressed as all the GTs that I drove had shimmy issues on the highway and searching the forum it seems that is not uncommon and not always easily remedied.

Thanks guys.

Nuke 03-14-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by dmhines (Post 6876762)

$33k - $25k = $8k off MSRP and yeah, it happens if you're not wussed out by the dealer. And who the hell pays MSRP, anyway? I've paid at or below invoice for my last 3 or 4 vehicles. It's called negotiating and having a spine.

howarmat 03-14-2010 10:23 AM

if you 'signed' a contract you cant just call and say ah nevermind i dont want to do it. and i agree if its been sitting that long i would never pay that much especially when the 11s are coming and they have so much more to offer and probably would only be a couple thousand more for one.

NOLA26 03-14-2010 10:24 AM

My 09 GT was on the lot for almost a year but it only had 7 miles on it. The dealer said it was in the back of the lot so it was only test driven once besides me. The dealer I went to only gets GT's and they sell alot of them so they had plenty to sell before they needed to get to the one I bought. No problems what so ever and I paid 25K for mine.

Argetni 03-14-2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by howarmat (Post 6876795)
if you 'signed' a contract you cant just call and say ah nevermind i dont want to do it. and i agree if its been sitting that long i would never pay that much especially when the 11s are coming and they have so much more to offer and probably would only be a couple thousand more for one.

Sure you can, I have done it before. I only signed the order sheet and the credit app. But nothing is final until you drive the car off the lot. Worst case I am out $100 and they lose a customer for life.

Argetni 03-14-2010 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 6876786)
$33k - $25k = $8k off MSRP and yeah, it happens if you're not wussed out by the dealer. And who the hell pays MSRP, anyway? I've paid at or below invoice for my last 3 or 4 vehicles. It's called negotiating and having a spine.

MSRP is 36840 I was paying 34410 (x plan price) plus the 1k rebate for a total of 33410. But now I am paying 0 since I am not getting it :icon_lol:

antonio1988 03-14-2010 10:38 AM

sounds like the dealership is taking you for a ride and you better jump off quickly. With the fact that the 5.0 is coming out, if you wanted this car, I couldn't possibly imagine this car selling for more than $31k, the dealership has to take a loss because of the fact that it sat for almost a full year and, why in the hell does it have 100 miles? This deal is total bulls***, get out of there and run. I could justify you paying this price for the 2011 5.0, which comes out in the next couple of months

pascal 03-14-2010 11:16 AM

I wouldn't pay over $25K for a 2010 period!
I don't care if it's loaded or have the foot massage and expresso machine option in it.
That's Ford's problem if people don't wanna pay up for these...

I just bought an 09 motorcycle (new, leftover stock) for $11K, it retails for $14.5K.
It's over 30% in savings! Yeah for me. :)

Argetni 03-14-2010 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by pascal (Post 6876886)
I wouldn't pay over $25K for a 2010 period!
I don't care if it's loaded or have the foot massage and expresso machine option in it.
That's Ford's problem if people don't wanna pay up for these...

I just bought an 09 motorcycle (new, leftover stock) for $11K, it retails for $14.5K.
It's over 30% in savings! Yeah for me. :)

There is no way any dealer is going to go 9k under invoice that would be financial suicide. They could send a car to auction and not lose more than 1k.

alkemist 03-14-2010 12:02 PM

The car is over priced. I would not pay $33k for a leftover car. Hell, last year, left over '09s were going for $27-28k range if you can play hardball. Better rebates will be coming out soon and when you negotiate the price, rebates shouldn't be factored in because it comes straight from Ford paying the dealership. I could of gotten an '09 car comparable to mine except it has the comfort package for around $24,500, "new" except it was a demo car.

For $33k, I'd hit up the '11, screw the '10 unless you're happy paying that much for for a car that has sat around for a year.

dmhines 03-14-2010 12:13 PM

It isn't a leftover until they are sitting on the lot next to a 2011. 2010 mustangs are almost a completely different car than a 2009 so big discounts were to be expected. The change from 09 to 10 is much more drastic than 10 to 11.

Argetni 03-14-2010 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by alkemist (Post 6876985)
The car is over priced. I would not pay $33k for a leftover car. Hell, last year, left over '09s were going for $27-28k range if you can play hardball. Better rebates will be coming out soon and when you negotiate the price, rebates shouldn't be factored in because it comes straight from Ford paying the dealership. I could of gotten an '09 car comparable to mine except it has the comfort package for around $24,500, "new" except it was a demo car.

For $33k, I'd hit up the '11, screw the '10 unless you're happy paying that much for for a car that has sat around for a year.

I just left a voicemail for the salesman telling him the deal is off. I am also going to call him first thing in the AM to confirm he got the message.

I had some water in my basement last night that I need to deal with $$$ so I just told him that, easier that way and burn no bridges.

pascal 03-14-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Argetni (Post 6876956)
There is no way any dealer is going to go 9k under invoice that would be financial suicide. They could send a car to auction and not lose more than 1k.

You keep saying this but in FL you pick those up below $30K for sure.
Not picking at you, every State is different I guess, but I have the feeling you can better $33K.
Even if you have to go out of State to deal with a more friendlier dealer, you'll win.

Argetni 03-14-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by pascal (Post 6877016)
Not picking at you, every State is different I guess, but I have the feeling you can better $33K.
Even if you have to go out of State to deal with a more friendlier dealer, you'll win.

Yeah the mustang was the official car of Guidoville NJ at one point! Replaced by the M3 now. :icon_eddie:

dmhines 03-14-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by pascal (Post 6877016)

It really depends on whether you take the special financing or not. The awesome prices that some people are posting include what the dealer is knocking off + the Ford rebates. If you prefer the 0% financing the Ford Rebates will not apply.

I agree rebates will get bigger over the next couple of months to get rid of the remaining 2010's ... but as inventory dwindles so does selection. So it's a Catch 22 .. the car on the lot is the perfect color and has perfect options ... could be gone as the rebates go up ... and you have to settle for something you don't exactly want to take advantage of the prices. Or you could take the current discounts and get the car you want.

Argetni 03-14-2010 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by dmhines (Post 6877088)
It really depends on whether you take the special financing or not. The awesome prices that some people are posting include what the dealer is knocking off + the Ford rebates. If you prefer the 0% financing the Ford Rebates will not apply.

I agree rebates will get bigger over the next couple of months to get rid of the remaining 2010's ... but as inventory dwindles so does selection. So it's a Catch 22 .. the car on the lot is the perfect color and has perfect options ... could be gone as the rebates go up ... and you have to settle for something you don't exactly want to take advantage of the prices. Or you could take the current discounts and get the car you want.

Another fine point the car would have gone for $31410 if had taken the standard 5.5% loan then you get 3k cash rebate but over 60 months it would have cost like 6k more than 0%. So yes if you have cash to buy with you can do very well.

DRAGUL 03-14-2010 02:05 PM

Salespeople also get demo cars to drive around this could be one of them

BruceH 03-14-2010 02:26 PM

It's not unusual for a new car to have 100 miles on it. Especially one that's been on the lot for a year.

With that said I can tell you my car had been sitting for 9 months, had about 30 miles, and I got it for $25,800 in June 2008. Sticker was about $31k and invoice was $28.8K.

If you want a 2010 wait awhile. I have a feeling big incentives will be coming out. Anyone buying a new GT will want the 5.0 and a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay, no matter what it cost the person selling it.

05gtdriver 03-14-2010 03:34 PM

I recently did a little sneaky internet searching at local ford dealers here in L.A.(used phony names & phone numbers & made a new e-mail address specifically for this purpose-hahaha). I was offered fleet prices on any GT I wanted at most dealerships & even e-mailed back & forth to drive prices further down. I found a premium GT with only the track pack option, MSRP was a little over $33K & without too much haggling I was able to get the price down to a little over $28K(of course without the special financing Ford is offering). You realize most dealerships will offer customer loyalty rebates(around $1,000-$1,500 in most instances) if you have purchased a new Ford within the past 10 years I believe(not 100% sure about the time frame). The xplan isn't the end all be all, although most dealerships will only give you certain purchase incentives that they won't combine with other offers. I actually waited about 3 weeks before I started responding to the dealership's internet departments and they were practically kissing my tush(lol) to make a sale. All about patience & making what may seem ridiculous seem reasonable :). And, no, I'm not going to replace my '06 anytime soon, but I was curious, as many others are as to what 2010s are really going for.

alkemist 03-14-2010 03:51 PM

I really doubt the 10's will fly off the lot as fast as the '09s. First it's an 45th anniversary edition, so it made it special to the mustang community. Second, there was a $3k rebate at the time. 3rd the body style change. It's much drastic as mentioned between 10-11, and unless the buyer has been out in the dark or prefers the '10, everyone else is going to want to jump on the 11 and there will be 10's sitting on the lots dime a dozen, not to mentioned pre-owned mustangs.

dmhines 03-14-2010 04:22 PM

Dealers won't have much reason to discount 2011's until the 2010's are off their lots.

Nuke 03-14-2010 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Argetni (Post 6876956)

I wish I knew where you keep coming up with this $8k and $9k under invoice you keep tossing around. If the sticker is around $36k, you can bet that invoice on it is around $30k; no more; probably less. And even if he took invoice for the car, he STILL makes money. When you kids gonna learn?

BruceH 03-14-2010 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 6877637)
I wish I knew where you keep coming up with this $8k and $9k under invoice you keep tossing around. If the sticker is around $36k, you can bet that invoice on it is around $30k; no more; probably less. And even if he took invoice for the car, he STILL makes money. When you kids gonna learn?

It takes a few times getting burned to figure it out. At least it did for me. Last time I got burned by a dealer I was buying a new 1993 T-Bird. They really knew how to play my strings. After that I got wise to their jedi mind tricks. Seems like yesterday.

FutureS197 03-14-2010 06:00 PM

OK, so you decided against it, but for anyone that searches this thread in the future:

I've bought a new car that sat for a year and there are only 2 major problems I had. 1) Forget about checking for flat spots on the tires - make them change the tires. Aside from flat spots the sidewalls will have started deteriorating. 2) Have them put a new battery in. It would have run dead at some point or multiple times and years have been taken off its life.

WeinerDog 03-14-2010 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 6877637)

Nuke, assuming you and your skills can go scoop up 2010's for $11K off MSRP as you suggest, why not go do this and sell them? I'd happily pay $26K for a $36K GT. My son would love it in a couple years.

alkemist 03-14-2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by WeinerDog (Post 6877707)
Nuke, assuming you and your skills can go scoop up 2010's for $11K off MSRP as you suggest, why not go do this and sell them? I'd happily pay $26K for a $36K GT. My son would love it in a couple years.

Ummm, my sister and I were looking at '09 new GT's that they just brought up from Florida for around MSRP $35k and she hard balled the guy down to about ~$28k. I would of jumped on it if it had the features I wanted. Didn't want to pay extra for a glass roof that I'm not very fond about.

Things are possible if the dealer is desperate enough, and this was dealing with the sales manager too. We could see the desperation on his face.

Timing and market conditions help substantially.