Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very first mod...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Default Very first mod...

Hey guys, new member here. I recently bought a 2006 mustang GT manual as a dd. It is basically bone stock and I am considering my first mod. I think that a CAI and tune are a given. I am considering a Steeda CAI with the sf3 tuner for that part, unless someone can direct me to a better performing combo? My interest is solely in the sound/performance. Also I have the 3.55 gears at the moment and want to know what the benefit will be of upgrading these? I want to put money into the things that will matter most performance wise, without going to FI. I dont really have 5 grand for a good kit yet... Anyways thanks for listening and let me know what you think!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:26 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

If you dont plan on doing FI soon, then go for 4.10s. i would say, go with a CAI+tune from brenspeed or Americanmuscle.com, AM just teamed up with bamachips. they are very well know, and have made some amazing tunes for mustangs (dont listen to the haters)
Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 PM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

Nice, ya I plan to go through American Muscle I think as I have heard of them pretty consistently. Also, what would the benefit be of 4.10 over, say, 3.73. Thanks man.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayed53
Nice, ya I plan to go through American Muscle I think as I have heard of them pretty consistently. Also, what would the benefit be of 4.10 over, say, 3.73. Thanks man.
On the street many will argue that 4.10 makes the car more responsive but thats only true is you are in the same trans gear.
Often times you may find yourself running 4th with 3.73 were you would run 5th with the 4.10.

On street tires at the track? Nothing if you have the limiter at 6800 rpm and trap in 3rd with the 3.73...

On Drag Radials.... Maybe 0.15 of a second.

In personal experience the only place I liked 4.10 over 3.55 is launching with ET Streets at the track and in normal everday driving in town where the 4.10 made it much easier to start off in 2nd.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:58 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

if you got 3.55's, go to the 4.10's. 3.73's wont be much of a notable change.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:30 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

since you stated you do have a man, you may also want to look into a short throw shifter. dosent steeda use the factory connecting hose just connected to a cone filter? if I were to do it all over again, i would either run JLT or WMS straight design. but there are as many opinions on products as there are people in here. i will not go out of my way to hate on something i have never played with or owned. so with that being said, i love my hurst operation but hate the biproduct. as far as gears, i have 3.73 and dont hate them, but of course im never one to stop wishing on a falling star so this next deployment i will be getting some 4.10 after the good things i hear on them. im surprised nobody threw out suspension mods, mostly talking about UCA and LCA, thats a normal favorite around he forums. anyway, keep us updated
Old 03-16-2010, 06:15 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

^ yup. a short throw is a must later on too. I've always had issues with the 3rd gear when I would step on it. I went MGW and never looked back. as far as CAI I've heard that JLT gives the best numbers.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 AM
jayed53
2nd Gear Member

I have heard good things about JLT as well. My only concern with looking at the design was how well it blocked the engine compartment air versus the Steeda. On the Steeda, it seems like its a better seal. I am also looking at upgrading exhaust but its pretty daunting. I really like the Borla Stinger kit, but not sure if I have to replace the stock mid pipes/headers. So much to do so little time, lol. Thanks for the responses so far...
Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM
CSS996
2nd Gear Member

One piece drive shaft?

I want one...

Tune will come first though.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:56 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

The Steeda intake has proven to take in lower temperatures because it seals so well on the hood, something to consider. Take a look at brenspeeds website too they have the best customer service you can find and are more of a performance shop instead of a retail outlet like american muscle.

Quick Reply: Very first mod...