Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12" stripe's

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 AM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

Cool 12" stripe's

Okay so last fall when i got my car, i KNEW i wanted to do the rally stripes on it.... Well after a little while and thinking, finally decided on the 12" black stripes from American Muscle.... so they come in a few days later, well to put it simply..... i just got fed up with trying to find the darn center line on it (hardest part) so if anyone has some install tips and tricks to doing a great job on these it would be awesome... hey maybe even sticky material! woohoo.... well thanks in advance..... oh one more thing, i did get quoted by macco for 150bucks to install them any suggestions on that(plus saving the money and doing it myself would help right now).............. so yea thats my dealio.... Matt..
Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

personally i would just cough up the 150 for it. if you lay it down and it peels your screwed. whereas if you have somebody install them and they begin to bubble or peel shortly after you could always tell them to fix it or get you new ones. just my opinion. sorry i couldnt be of more help.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:09 AM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

ok, just one thing, i should probably call there and make sure they warranty there work.....rememer maaco were talkin about lol.....idk honestly yes 150bucks is a great deal..but i dont really feel comfortable having them do it...idk im up in the air i guess tomorrow ill do a little dialing
Old 03-17-2010, 04:52 AM
Matafy
2nd Gear Member

I would trust Red Beast on this one, he knows what he's talking about.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

I would trust Red Beast on this one, he knows what he's talking about.
Cuz he has stripes ???

I did my own stripes and it's easy. front bumper kicked my ***, but after 3 tries I had it right. the rest of the car was just cake. I would not pay someone to do it. But that's just me. If you think you can do it your self, save your self some money. If you really doubt yourself then have someone do it.

I replied to your PM on the centerline. If you need more pointers let me know I can walk you through.

oh, and if you are doing gloss black, and mess up, I have some extra vinyl I can hook you up with.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 AM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

People charge too much to install these things. One of my friends also owns a sign shop and he charged $350 just for installation of the cheap Ford stripes.

It's easy once you get the basics down, but that is where people pay a lot of money so they don't have to.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Lol Ford stripes are not cheap as in cost to buy. Stock GT rocker stripes are close to $300 OEM.

I installed my own stripes. Granted not as complicated as full racing stripes, but the idea is pretty straight forward. I was a little intimidated at first, thought about paying someone to do it, but in the end, I said no, I'll do it myself and learn. It just takes a lot of time, but will feel very rewarding in the end.

If you want it professionally installed, I would call a few more places, especially if you can find a local mustang shop.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 AM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Lol Ford stripes are not cheap as in cost to buy. Stock GT rocker stripes are close to $300 OEM.
I meant as far as quality. We use ten year vinyl. There's no telling what ford vinyl is rated at.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

alright so i figure, ill attempt it again, and thanks again for the tips eddy.... basicly the whole part that was kicking my butt is trying to get the center line.. i can easly put them on after that.. guess even if it takes a whole week its better than letting some random guy putting his hands on my baby lol....
Old 03-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

do you know anybody that has installed them before? a friend, somebody with experience? if you could get your hands on somebody to supervise you or at least help id say your golden, if not, then do what i do, youtube. theres gotta be videos of somebody installing stripes on an S197. (i say vid of S197 cause they might specify how to find the center easier then a vid of a guy intalling it on a truck etc.)

Quick Reply: 12" stripe's