Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade CMDP's

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 AM
chrismakk69
1st Gear Member

Default Homemade CMDP's

I've been looking into buying CMDP's for my GT and I was wondering if anyone has ever made their own CMDP's. It seems that it's just the stock part with the butterfly removed.

It doesn't seem all that complicated in theory. Just curious to see if anyone has actually done it and how it worked out for them.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 AM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

This isn't quite the same thing, but I recall a guy with an 05 gt a couple years back at a car show that claimed he zip tied the butterfly vavles, I'm not sure how well this method would stack up to true cmdps but his car ran fine.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't recommend it
Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you can do it, but get an extra set to do it on. you can remove the butterflys and leave the rods, or remove rods and butterflys and then weld the holes. just depends how good you are with tools and welding
Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 AM
chrismakk69
1st Gear Member

Some dude is offering to sell me his stock plates for 20 bucks. I figure I buy them and give it a shot. Worst case I'm out the 20 bucks.

I'm not much of a welder, I'm a computer nerd by trade but I've welded stuff in the past and I'm pretty decent at it.

My concern was the rods. I think it might just be easier to leave them in instead of sitting there welding the holes shut.

Any idea if that would have any effect on the performance?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
RoushGT05
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chrismakk69
Some dude is offering to sell me his stock plates for 20 bucks. I figure I buy them and give it a shot. Worst case I'm out the 20 bucks.

I'm not much of a welder, I'm a computer nerd by trade but I've welded stuff in the past and I'm pretty decent at it.

My concern was the rods. I think it might just be easier to leave them in instead of sitting there welding the holes shut.

Any idea if that would have any effect on the performance?
They say they are worth a good 5-10 depending on supporting mods, but you will def need a tune for them.

Also im sure any good exhaust shop could weld the aluminum for you to close the holes rather cheap.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
chrismakk69
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RoushGT05
They say they are worth a good 5-10 depending on supporting mods, but you will def need a tune for them.

Also im sure any good exhaust shop could weld the aluminum for you to close the holes rather cheap.
Good call - it never occur ed to me to take it to an exhaust shop.

I've already got a tune from Bamachips for other parts so I'm just going to have them adjust my current tune and I should be good to go. I'm going to do the CMDP's and a set of Steeda UDP's at the same time so I think I should see a pretty nice gain.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

... lol because zip ties anywhere near the intake manifold is a "good" thing

I guess you could use a dremel tool to smooth out the openings after removing the butterfly valves, but unless you're good and know what you're doing, you'll just add unequal turbulence.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:23 AM
chrismakk69
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I guess you could use a dremel tool to smooth out the openings after removing the butterfly valves, but unless you're good and know what you're doing, you'll just add unequal turbulence.
The way I see it, it's worth the $20 risk. Worst case I mess them up and I'm out 20 beans.

I'll try to take some pictures and maybe do a write up if it comes out well. It could save people a decent amount of money.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:04 PM
RoushGT05
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chrismakk69
The way I see it, it's worth the $20 risk. Worst case I mess them up and I'm out 20 beans.

I'll try to take some pictures and maybe do a write up if it comes out well. It could save people a decent amount of money.
Doooo it

Quick Reply: Homemade CMDP's