Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed my head unit...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Default Just installed my head unit...

So I finally got my Jensen 7" flip out installed. It came with HD radio and a input device that has RCA and Ipod capabilities.

Pretty bad ***. It REALLY wakes up those door subs. I was considering a sub, but after hearing that, i've decided for now that I don't need it...

I do have a couple questions though:

For some reason, the left sub seems to be louder than the right side. The rear speakers also seem to have lost some volume. The guy at the audio shop was telling me that its because the amp is mono or something. I don't know anything about I.C.E.

If I fade it all the way to the left, that sub is kickin, if I move it all the way to the right, that sub doesn't work. It does work when its centered but I still feel like I'm getting a lot more sound out of the left side.

Any advice??

Still considering putting the 8" shelby subs...but when I asked the guy to dynamat the doors, he told me it won't make a difference on the plastic, just the metal, which isn't vibrating much anyhow...
Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Also, would this set up work in my car? what would be needed to make it work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-KICKER-10CVT8-...item519146cc5f
Old 03-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

nobody has any input on this??
Old 03-26-2010, 10:33 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I can't remember why but when my friend wired his old Alpine he wired both subs to the left channel. I want to get a stereo sub output HU and see what happens but no money right now.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:35 PM
mwinter501
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lupo222
So I finally got my Jensen 7" flip out installed. It came with HD radio and a input device that has RCA and Ipod capabilities.

Pretty bad ***. It REALLY wakes up those door subs. I was considering a sub, but after hearing that, i've decided for now that I don't need it...

I do have a couple questions though:

For some reason, the left sub seems to be louder than the right side. The rear speakers also seem to have lost some volume. The guy at the audio shop was telling me that its because the amp is mono or something. I don't know anything about I.C.E.

If I fade it all the way to the left, that sub is kickin, if I move it all the way to the right, that sub doesn't work. It does work when its centered but I still feel like I'm getting a lot more sound out of the left side.

Any advice??

Still considering putting the 8" shelby subs...but when I asked the guy to dynamat the doors, he told me it won't make a difference on the plastic, just the metal, which isn't vibrating much anyhow...
My aftermarket head unit really woke up my subs as well, although I never experienced the problems that you are. I initially thought that there was a bad connection to your passenger side sub, but you said that it plays when the balance is centered. I dont really know how to help you there.

I would go for the shelby subs, everyone that I know that has put them in has loved them. I have also heard that dynomat on the doors helps a lot. Its not hard to do if you wanted to do it yourself.

here's a writeup by a fellow member:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...6k-beware.html

Also, would this set up work in my car? what would be needed to make it work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-KICKER-10CVT8-...item519146cc5f
I dont see why that set up wouldnt work in your car, but I would just buy the speakers.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mwinter501
My aftermarket head unit really woke up my subs as well, although I never experienced the problems that you are. I initially thought that there was a bad connection to your passenger side sub, but you said that it plays when the balance is centered. I dont really know how to help you there.

I would go for the shelby subs, everyone that I know that has put them in has loved them. I have also heard that dynomat on the doors helps a lot. Its not hard to do if you wanted to do it yourself.

here's a writeup by a fellow member:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...6k-beware.html

I dont see why that set up wouldnt work in your car, but I would just buy the speakers.
I don't know...something about them being 4 ohms and the ones in the car being 2 ohms, so therefore they'd need a stand alone amp? I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this stuff
Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Noodle23
2nd Gear Member

take it to a different shop they dont either dont have any knowledge of how to wire or i dont know what. Your head unit should have stereo output and the ohms of your speakers would only matter if they where wire in parrell and since they should only have to plug them in to the back properly i dont see why that would be a problem. i suggest to take it to another shop an get them to double check the wiring
Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Just out of curiousity, does the right door play as well when you have the balance fully left?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
Just out of curiousity, does the right door play as well when you have the balance fully left?
Negative. Neither side interferes with the balance when its all to one side, but the right door sub on kicks in when the balance is centered. All the way to the right (the side its on), all you here is the tweeder above it.

All the way to the left and you hear the tweeder and the left sub.

So despite those 8" subs on that ebay auction being 4 ohm, they'll still swap right in, plug n play?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:25 AM
mwinter501
1st Gear Member

I don't know...something about them being 4 ohms and the ones in the car being 2 ohms, so therefore they'd need a stand alone amp? I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this stuff
oh yeah, I didn't see that

I checked the shelby website for the specs on their door subs (also kicker) but couldn't find anything. I'm pretty sure I saw someone post them up not too long ago, Ill start digging and try to post up a link. Those ebay subs look just like the Shelby subs, so hopefully they are the same.

Quick Reply: Just installed my head unit...