Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to deal with a TSB when at a Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Chooch

Default How to deal with a TSB when at a Dealership

Driving on the highway for a while and then put my foot down. RPM's dropped from 4k to 1K. Came home to find a TSB on this, the infamous fuel pump issue. I phoned up the dealership. The first dealership told me that I was out of warranty and for $50 they could try to determine the problem. I had to drop it off for them to look at it and when I referenced the TSB, it didn't seem to matter.

I called another dealership. The service guy told me that if it was the fuel pump, it would be covered under the 5 year, 100K km powertrain warranty. A tech would also have to determine if it is indeed the fuel pump.

If a TSB is issued on such a fuel pump issue, why don't they just replace the damn thing. The TSB is identical to what had happened.

Need some suggestions on how to handle this when I am there. Do I show them or reference the TSB? Do I act like I don't know anything? or what???

Thanks for any suggestions that you may have! Vehicle is a 2005 GT
Old 03-26-2010, 10:46 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

it would be covered under the 5 year, 100K km powertrain warranty.
What month was the car manufactured? Should be inside your drivers side door. 5yr warranty may be up. I believe thats how Ford does the warranties...Not purchase date but manufacture date.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:49 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

a couple things here

1) unless you have an extended warranty, you are out of warranty
2) if you are out of warranty you will have to pay for parts/labor
3) it does sound like it might be the issue and taking in the TSB cant hurt at all. I did when the did my Ebrake cable
Old 03-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I don't know what the warranty is in Canada. In the USA, I think the 5 year warranty for the powertrain began with the 2007 models.

The one thing you do not want to do is to just go in and tell them to perform the work as called for in the TSB. That may not be the problem. If you tell them to do the TSB work, and that doesn't fix the problem, then they will tell you that they did what you asked. You want to explain the problem, and ask them to come up with the solution. You could ask them to consider the TSB when they do the diagnosis. Try to work with them, but don't tell them what to do to correct the issue unless you are absolutely sure that you have the right answer.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Chooch

They ran the VIN number and told me Powertrain Warranty was valid up to mid-April. I guess I will bring it in and take the tech for a test drive. I hope the fault re-occurs and then he can deal with it.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:36 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
What month was the car manufactured? Should be inside your drivers side door. 5yr warranty may be up. I believe thats how Ford does the warranties...Not purchase date but manufacture date.
The warrenty on a vehicle starts on the day you purchase it, not when it's built. Same with the milage. If you purchase it and it has 15 miles on it, the your warrenty milage will be 50k, and fifteen miles before it runs out.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:07 PM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

The best way to deal with a TSB after your warranty is up is to not resist, and take slow deep breaths while the dealership has their way with you, and hope they at least lube up and maybe give you a reach around LOL. My 06 e-brake froze and broke last winter 136 miles past 36K and 3 months before the time ran out. Dealership wanted upward of $800 to fix it and do a rear brake job. I was told on my 06 that there was nothing beyond the 3 years 36K for the powertrain a little while back when I experienced some "shuttering" when coasting at 65mph on the highway. FWIW, my dealership told me that TSB's were for the tech to know how to troubleshoot and resolve common issues that occur with a particular model and were only covered at their discretion, and only if the car had the warranty still. They wouldn't even help me partially only 136 miles past 36K.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Be sure it's the fuel ump TSB. Be aware that there's an issue going WOT with the TCS on where the car will bog down momentarily and then slowly pick up RPM whereas the fuel pump issue is a definite hesitation after steady state driving and then accelerating hard. The later is the TSB and is reproduceable with almost every extended cruise. My g/f had the TSB issue on her '06 and the fuel pump cured it. On my GT, it's the TCS. Matter of fact, I just got the Stang out of storage today and forgot to turn the TCS off. I downshifted and punched it and...an embarassing bog. Turned the TCS off and cruised another few miles and no bogging. I repeated that 2 more times over a 1 hour period of highway cruising and no issues providing the TCS was off.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

The 5 year warranty didn't apply to 05. Sorry you are out of luck, it's all out of pocket now.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
The warrenty on a vehicle starts on the day you purchase it, not when it's built. Same with the milage. If you purchase it and it has 15 miles on it, the your warrenty milage will be 50k, and fifteen miles before it runs out.
Really? I thought only extended warranty works that way.

Quick Reply: How to deal with a TSB when at a Dealership