Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hubcaps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:28 PM
musty ruffler
1st Gear Member

Default hubcaps?

okay i know i might get teased for this, but the roads here in new orleans are terrible and the curbs are even worse. add in that i'm still adjusting to driving the new car and a temporary gig that has me driving all over town...

managed to develop a bit of wheel rash on my stock 16" wheels over the last week. i'm just wondering if i can remove the "spinner" and pop on some cheapo wheel covers to protect my rims until this job is over. last time i had covers were on 13" nissan wheels, so i don't know if there's even a way for them to fit...

any other ideas would also be welcome, i'm pretty close to fabbing up some damn curb feelers.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

I'd buy a set of used wheels, they're super cheap for these cars. maybe put one of those small bulge mirror stickers on your mirror so you can see the curb? otherwise, my grandmother may have curbfeelers on her 77 plymouth she'll give you.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

hub caps and curb feelers do not belong on a mustang. IMHO.
no hating intended, but you should learn how to park better. even if it takes longer to park, its worth it.
i always park, get out and inspect the parking distance, get back in and repark.
this may look strange to others, and they may say, "this guy dont know how to drive."
but i dont have 1 mark on my rims or tires.
i would say just take your time and park patiently, haste makes waste and sometimes a scratched up rim or 2.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 PM
musty ruffler
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think these are going to become the used wheels while I save up for something permanent... but if dropping $15 and looking stupid for two weeks will keep them looking respectable a while longer, I'll do that in a heartbeat.

I would have shared the "learn to park better" sentiment before moving here, but it's a terrain like no other. I parked on the street in NYC for years without issue (well, plenty of tickets and a stolen stereo, but no dings or wheel rash), but this is a whole different scenario. Part of the problem is that the curb can change direction, shape, or height dramatically along a single car-length, so even my usual hanging-out-the-window-staring-down routine is of only limited effect. NOLA drivers are insane, so getting close to the curb is necessary if you want to keep your side mirrors; I frequently end up shooting for 4" or so, and then exiting out the passenger door.

Also FWIW I think baby moons look pretty sweet on the vintage hardtops.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

honestly I would just work on learning how to park, no one's really gonna car if you have curb rash on your ugly (no offense) stock v6 rims. Once you are confident you know how to park and can drive without curbing then get aftermarket rims.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

Haha. I love my v6 rims. I tried parting with them, but I just couldn't do it (One of the reasons why I found th s197s so sexy). Now that I have some tires with RWLs, I REALLY have to pay attention how I park. I work in a downtown area with some hills where you have to move your car every 90minutes. It took a good 15 minutes to clean ONE tire after I took a filthy curb.

OP, i'd stick with your stockers. They're pretty cheap to replace and would look 10 times better than hubcaps. Hell, you could paint em black or gunmetal gray if you DO take a few curbs. Just an idea.

EDIT: Lemme know if you wanna get rid of those spinners, maybe I could take em off your hands for you

Last edited by Deadbeat; 04-12-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The first 05s came with 16" steel wheels and hubcaps.
Maybe you can find some of them cheap in the junkyard?

Dominate the Stang and make it an extention of your body while within it.
Feel the force, Luke....
Attached Thumbnails hubcaps?-img_4411.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 04-13-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
The first 05s came with 16" steel wheels and hubcaps.
Maybe you can find some of them cheap in the junkyard?

Dominate the Stang and make it an extention of your body while within it.
Feel the force, Luke....

What? No way! They did?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Hey muffler, I know what youre saying. I live in Metairie and avoid at all costs driving into New Orleans. For all of yall who have never been here there is no way to explain the condition of the streets. Some of the streets look like the Rocky mountians. Its because the water system is mostly made of terra cotta pipes and the are broken all over the cith which causes the streets to crumble. And alot of the old streets are still made of brick.

Hey but wheel rash happens even in Metairie. My wife drove my car to work one day and curb checked my rim in a parking garage. It worked out for me cause now she knows Im going to buy new wheels and she is going to pay for one of them. LOL
Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Stoenr
What? No way! They did?
Yep. they are on the 05 build list....

Quick Reply: hubcaps?