Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UDP install help, Please

Old 04-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Menes's GT
1st Gear Member

Default UDP install help, Please

so ive started on the install of the UDP and im trying to take off the crank bolt, and every time i try to loosen it i just end up turning the motor, the directions say to just use a breaker bar like i am and to only use air tools if its an auto( plus i dont own any air tools) is it ok to keep turing the motor till i can get the bolt loose or will that **** up the timing, is there a way to just jam a flat head inbetween the crank pully and block to prevent it from spinning? HOW DO I GET IT OFF haha. i even put in in 5 and now it not spinning but its just not giving, and yes i know lefty loosey righty tighty haha
Old 04-17-2010, 01:08 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Put it in 4th. Lean into it, use your legs and core not just your arms. It will come loose. Or break.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:14 PM
pinche_maniaco
1st Gear Member

there is a groumet on the backside of the tranny where you can look in take that off and stick a socket into it to catch one of the bolts in there. thats what i did.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Menes's GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Put it in 4th. Lean into it, use your legs and core not just your arms. It will come loose. Or break.
what do you mean by break, the bolt or motor, whats the chance of it breaking?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:32 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menes's GT
what do you mean by break, the bolt or motor, whats the chance of it breaking?
The bolt is a torque to yield design. This means it stretches beyond recovery during installation. Chances are slim it would break. My commemt was more for humor than anything else. Sorry I alarmed you. It's important to use a new bolt every time, don't reuse this one.

Lean into it, it will come loose.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Root66

Install the socket and breaker bar, rest the end of the breaker bar against a solid part of the drivers side frame and engage the starter.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

That could damage the starter since I don't think it's meant for that much torque. The way that I did it was to put the car in 5th and put a floor jack handle extension over the top part of the breaker bar. This will make the handle longer therefore giving you more torque to break that bolt loose.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:47 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rob72
That could damage the starter since I don't think it's meant for that much torque. The way that I did it was to put the car in 5th and put a floor jack handle extension over the top part of the breaker bar. This will make the handle longer therefore giving you more torque to break that bolt loose.

+1. Same way I went at it, till I got fustrated with the socket slipping off and all that jazz. Took me about 4 minutes to pull the electric fan off the radiator and then about 4 seconds to get the bolt out of the crank with my impact wrench
Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Have you thought about just pushing harder? I have found that sometimes people are wimpier then they think, but through my "inspirational words" of teasing and antagonistic behavior, they seem to manifest greater strength than they would under normal circumstances. So dont be a wuss. If that doesn't work +1 on a cheater bar.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rob72
Do this^^. You could try jamming a screwdriver in there but it will bend into a U shape, ask me how I know, and no it wasn't done on my car lol. Also do not wedge the breaker bar in there and try to start the car. It will work, if you don't break something doing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UDP install help, Please