Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine? new car? ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Default New engine? new car? ???

ive been strongly thinking about trading in my sixxer for an 09 GT with low miles. when i say low miles, i mean like under 15 K

prices look to be about 20-25,000

now what about a new engine? If i put a new engine in i would also put a manual transmission in. and could built the engine to my spec.

so the price of an engine, Transmission, Rear axle, Driveshaft, Wiring harness... and probably a new ECU, would it be worth it? i am a mechanic so the labor would be all done by myself.

im just ball parking ideas, 25K is a lot to spend at 19 years old
Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Are you talking about attempting to "convert" your V6 to a GT? If so the short answer is NO! There is way more to it that what you listed. Your're better off just getting the GT. There is a thread on this somewhere on MF, I remember reading it.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NOLA26
Are you talking about attempting to "convert" your V6 to a GT? If so the short answer is NO! There is way more to it that what you listed. Your're better off just getting the GT. There is a thread on this somewhere on MF, I remember reading it.
There are plenty of threads on this and the backbone of them all is the word "No".
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 PM
swat 79
2nd Gear Member

For 25000 you can get a new 2010 model....I wouldn't pay anything over 20k for a lightly used 05-09. The deals are there if you look, and I would definitely get the gt rather then doing a swap.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

ya, sorry man, i want to rather do this to, but EVERYBODY on here has said no. they say its a pain, and a hassel, and a massive money hole for a bit. if you want, then go for it! but i think you would possibly be looking around the ballpark of 8-10K. and for some reason, whenever this topic pops up, most people act like the computer would be the biggest challeneg.

ontop of that, i would reccomend that if your going to drop a new engine, then i say go big or go home and buy a 5.4... not from a cobra, but find a used 5.4 with low miles from a F150, or expedition, but the best year would be a 98-02 lincoln navigator because those ones are 4 valve cyclinders so they have more potential. you can find some of these rebuilt on ebay or craigslist for roughly 2-3k.

it has been done. like this guys...
http://www.youtube.com/user/cabuzzi#p/u/14/pSPJVxg_yAA
Old 04-20-2010, 12:59 AM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

new stang!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:09 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Dude you can pick up a used low milage Gt for way less than $20k+. I got my 06 GT with 16k miles for $15,600 in Oct. Do not do the conversion...........gonna cost WAY more than you think. Sell the v6 and take your time, you will find a decent GT for a great price.

patrick
Old 04-20-2010, 01:19 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

thats what i forgot to mention, you could definatley pick up a GT for thuosands less than what you are looking at. and also what i have heard is that if you put a larger engine, V6 to V8, then insurance will no longer cover your car.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the help! im just going to wait till i have the money and i got a credit card about 6 months ago so im building credit so i can finance one.

ill keep looking for GT's and thanks for making me aware that i was going to pay too much!

i want to get one soon as i have bad compression in one of my cylinders and i want to get rid of her as soon as i can!...just need some money..

ill be working full time in the summer as a mechanic and im also a busser at Chilis so hopefully by the end of summer?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:38 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Speaking as someone with the experience of ACTUALLY doing the swap, I say go for it. But, your budget may not deem it feasible. And converting an auto car to a manual is a little more work than I had to do.

But you can jump into this fast. You would have to be patient.

Granted yes, there are bigger and better things coming out, but when AREN'T there?

I did a complete swap for about $3K, including costs from oil to the parts it took to repair and upgrade a few things for the chassis.

Purchasing a donor car would be easiest as you'd have everything you would need at your finger tips. I found a wrecked '05 for $1600 to my door, sold a few parts off it to get some money back, but I spent a few in purchasing new needed parts (ie ECU was destroyed, harness ruined etc).

you would need (off the top of my head):
05-06 ECU (manual, autos can supposedly be "tuned" to convert to manuals but not sure..)
05 Wiring Harness (again, manual preferred, although autos can be modified with some work)
Transmission
Flywheel
Clutch
Pedal Assembly
Accessories
GT A/C lines running to and from compressor (to respective components)
GT Airbox or CAI equivalent
05-06 4.6L engine

Since the announcement of the new 5.0s the 4.6s have gone down in pricing. In fact, on some of the forums I've seen complete setups floating around for ~$2.5-3K with great mileage!

Personally, I'm glad I did the swap. No, i didn't want to convert my V6 to a GT, I wanted a car with more power. I also wanted to learn, and learn a lot I sure as hell did. I got to strip down an entire Mustang GT to its bare shell, and gained TONS of knowledge while doing so.

It's great btw, nobody knows what it is! Is it a v6 with a GT motor? or a GT with v6 bumpers/skirts? hahaha either way I'm never looking back.

Last edited by danbevsv6rumbler; 04-20-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: New engine? new car? ???